IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

How do you know this? I thought I read somewhere he's retained his initial nest egg amount. We have no idea what his financial situation is other than his income does not allow him to enter more tournaments. Forgot if he included instruction.

I read the same things, and concluded that he mistyped in his blog and actually "does not" have the initial nest egg amount?

That's a pretty big assumption and an egregious typing error. Why would he type the opposite of something he meant to?

I think you guys are referring to this quote:

From DanPlan:
Now that I am 4.5 years in and there are still about 3.5-4 remaining the only thing that hasn’t changed is my initial savings.

I took that to mean that he had money to start the project, and that value has changed. Just the initial value stayed the same! Lol. When I read it quickly, I honestly thought it meant that he was burning through the $$$.  Now, I have no clue. Is he saying he still has his initial savings??? If so, how? That doesn't make sense either.

I don't want this to rathole into a discussion on his finances - I just see it from his pov. He's not making a lot of income, whatever that is and two, three hundred dollars a month for a sustained amount of time for him, is not a trivial amount of money.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, I stand corrected by your unfaltering defense of Dan. :surrender:

Dan should take up @Pretzel to play for the $250 plus side bets. Given that Dan claims the same handicap as Tyler, it should be straight up. No strokes given or taken.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Okay, I stand corrected by your unfaltering defense of Dan. :surrender: Dan should take up @Pretzel to play for the $250 plus side bets. Given that Dan claims the same handicap as Tyler, it should be straight up. No strokes given or taken.

Really? I think if you scan all my posts on this thread, my opinion has hardly been an "unfaltering defense".

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Dan should take up @Pretzel to play for the $250 plus side bets. Given that Dan claims the same handicap as Tyler, it should be straight up. No strokes given or taken.

How do you figure this is a +EV proposition for Dan? Nothing against @Pretzel because I'm presuming he wouldn't do this but by doing this, Dan opens himself to be hustled. This would certainly be so if he does this as a standing offer which would likely have to be the case should Dan play Pretzel. Dan should be looking to raise money not risk it by gambling unless it's a series of +EV wagers and he can financially handle an initial downswing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

How do you figure this is a +EV proposition for Dan? Nothing against @Pretzel because I'm presuming he wouldn't do this but by doing this, Dan opens himself to be hustled. This would certainly be so if he does this as a standing offer which would likely have to be the case should Dan play Pretzel. Dan should be looking to raise money not risk it by gambling unless it's a series of +EV wagers and he can financially handle an initial downswing.

Oh, it would be terrible for him because he'd likely end up paying my green fee (That's the most I'd gamble for). It would tell him where he's at though as a realistic view of his progress.

Oh, it would be terrible for him because he'd likely end up paying my green fee (That's the most I'd gamble for). It would tell him where he's at though as a realistic view of his progress.

Theoretically, that's what playing tournaments should do. Gambling against you (or any unknown entity) is generally a -EV proposition for Dan with respect to raising money to continue his, "project." The best way I can see him raising money by playing others is a modification of Erik's idea whereby, for example, if he charged a threesome say $1,000 to play a round, whomever from the threesome beats him would get a $150, "prize," or something as such. If there were an additional fee to fly him out there or some amenity, then maybe he could up it to something like a $250, "prize."

Christian

Theoretically, that's what playing tournaments should do. Gambling against you (or any unknown entity) is generally a -EV proposition for Dan with respect to raising money to continue his, "project." The best way I can see him raising money by playing others is a modification of Erik's idea whereby, for example, if he charged a threesome say $1,000 to play a round, whomever from the threesome beats him would get a $150, "prize," or something as such. If there were an additional fee to fly him out there or some amenity, then maybe he could up it to something like a $250, "prize."

Dan states he is a 2-3 handicap. If it's really true, Tyler and Dan will most likely tie give or take a hole. Tyler is thinking (and so are many of us) that Dan is closer to a 10 or so handicap. Thus, Dan would not play a true 2.3 handicp for stakes.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Dan states he is a 2-3 handicap. If it's really true, Tyler and Dan will most likely tie give or take a hole. Tyler is thinking (and so are many of us) that Dan is closer to a 10 or so handicap. Thus, Dan would not play a true 2.3 handicp for stakes.

I understand that but for the sake of finding an avenue to obtain funding to continue his project, playing someone, even if he has a 2-3 handicap (which I don't believe) to a tie or gambling on who might win by a hole or two isn't the most conducive method to obtain funding. Even if he played @Pretzel at a handicap that lets say @iacas thought was accurate and fair, it still wouldn't be conducive to the goal of raising money to continue his, "project."

Christian

It's funny that people do not believe his 2-3 hcp to be accurate. Why wouldn't it be? As a counter argument: I have never witnessed a 10 hcp to play a round under par, and Dan clearly has. (in stableford terms, this would mean the player would have around 50 or more stbf in that particular round).

On the other hand: there is no doubt Dan underperforms in tournaments. From his writing on his blog/ twitter, I understand that apparently, he has a mental blockade whenever he gets into tournament play. He is using vision54 to try and solve that.

PS. In The Netherlands, you can never get your handicap below 4.4 unless you play official tournaments.

Han

It's funny that people do not believe his 2-3 hcp to be accurate. Why wouldn't it be?

Perhaps you should look at some of his videos.

You don't think it odd that in "tournament" play, the fact that he can't break 80 means anything?

His mental blocks when he is scoring properly  - with a marker and playing by the rules  - means he can't play. Simple as that.

And what you call "official tournaments" are merely normal competition rounds. Dan doesn't even play in Saturday club comps! It's a joke.

How is he going to leapfrog the 16 year old amateur in the Australian Masters last week who made the cut with ease and finished 6 under? Or James Nitties who's barely surviving on the Web.com tour, yet came equal second with Adam Scott in the same tournament.

Dan thinks he's going to be playing on the PGA Tour, remember.

As I've said a dozen times. He wouldn't be in the top 50 players in any proper golf club in the USA, UK, Australia or New Zealand.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanNL

It's funny that people do not believe his 2-3 hcp to be accurate. Why wouldn't it be?

Perhaps you should look at some of his videos.

You don't think it odd that in "tournament" play, the fact that he can't break 80 means anything?

His mental blocks when he is scoring properly  - with a marker and playing by the rules  - means he can't play. Simple as that.

And what you call "official tournaments" are merely normal competition rounds. Dan doesn't even play in Saturday club comps! It's a joke.

How is he going to leapfrog the 16 year old amateur in the Australian Masters last week who made the cut with ease and finished 6 under? Or James Nitties who's barely surviving on the Web.com tour, yet came equal second with Adam Scott in the same tournament.

Dan thinks he's going to be playing on the PGA Tour, remember.

As I've said a dozen times. He wouldn't be in the top 50 players in any proper golf club in the USA, UK, Australia or New Zealand.

I saw some video of him in a luxury lifestyle/travel show. He and another guy were challenged by the host to hit a par 3 green, I dunno, 150+ yards. He hit it fat, dumped it the water short of the carry and then proceeded to say I hit it this much fat, using thumb and forefinger to measure out a wee bit of air. It's just one instance, but maybe not too good under pressure? I dunno.

Steve

It's funny that people do not believe his 2-3 hcp to be accurate. Why wouldn't it be? As a counter argument: I have never witnessed a 10 hcp to play a round under par, and Dan clearly has. (in stableford terms, this would mean the player would have around 50 or more stbf in that particular round).

On the other hand: there is no doubt Dan underperforms in tournaments. From his writing on his blog/ twitter, I understand that apparently, he has a mental blockade whenever he gets into tournament play. He is using vision54 to try and solve that.

PS. In The Netherlands, you can never get your handicap below 4.4 unless you play official tournaments.

For me, once you get to playing tournaments, your handicap is only as good as how you score in tournaments. That is why I posted all of my tournament scores for the year in my handicap at the end of the year to see what my true handicap was and it went up ,6 so I am only a 0.5 now.

I saw some video of him in a luxury lifestyle/travel show. He and another guy were challenged by the host to hit a par 3 green, I dunno, 150+ yards. He hit it fat, dumped it the water short of the carry and then proceeded to say I hit it this much fat, using thumb and forefinger to measure out a wee bit of air. It's just one instance, but maybe not too good under pressure? I dunno.

I don't think I am quoting the right response but to your point on paying for tournaments- tournaments are cheaper than instruction. $150 for two rounds of golf(6-9 hours) vs $150 for 1/2 hour to 2 hours of instruction. There are things you learn when you play tournament golf too so it is worth the investment, for everyone really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I don't think I am quoting the right response but to your point on paying for tournaments- tournaments are cheaper than instruction. $150 for two rounds of golf(6-9 hours) vs $150 for 1/2 hour to 2 hours of instruction. There are things you learn when you play tournament golf too so it is worth the investment, for everyone really.

I'm not saying he shouldn't play tournaments. I think the opposite. He should. As many as he can. My point is perhaps the guy just doesn't have the money.

Steve

I'm not saying he shouldn't play tournaments. I think the opposite. He should. As many as he can. My point is perhaps the guy just doesn't have the money.

I agree, but it would appear that the financial part of his plan was flawed if he didn't budget for tournaments as part of his journey to becoming a PGA Tour player.   He may have made way too many assumptions regarding sponsorship if he's half way through the plan and is unable to continue because he' doesn't have the money.

Joe Paradiso

My point was that if he has money for all of this instruction, he has money for tournaments. IMO, he is avoiding tournaments on purpose. I bet he would have had more sponsorship come along if he had started playing tournament golf from the beginning so people could follow him. They would also be able to see progress on paper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

My point was that if he has money for all of this instruction, he has money for tournaments. IMO, he is avoiding tournaments on purpose. I bet he would have had more sponsorship come along if he had started playing tournament golf from the beginning so people could follow him. They would also be able to see progress on paper.

I agree with you, but my not reading enough of his blog and the unsatisfactory amount of info there is (imho) - partially because you have to tread through so much wall of text - it doesn't seem like he's getting a lot of lessons to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

I agree with you, but my not reading enough of his blog and the unsatisfactory amount of info there is (imho) - partially because you have to tread through so much wall of text - it doesn't seem like he's getting a lot of lessons to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong.

To me it seems like the most recent "lesson" he had was the freebie with the flightscope guy when he was being loaned it for a month.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen anything about it since he said he would be able to use it...

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!