IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know about you, but that makes it seems as though his short game isn't quite phenomenal to me (agreeing with Shorty here).

There would be nothing about his game that would better than a solid 8 handicapper.

There is certainly nothing in his stats to suggest anything but a mediocre short game.

As for "pro caliber', what is he like from 6 inch rough when he is short sided? What's he like off a variety of surfaces? What's he like on really quick greens?

29 putts is what I hope for in an average round. I consider myself a good putter. I don't consider myself to have a "pro caliber" short game because I usually have less than 30 putts. It just means I miss too many greens. That makes me a hacker.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

There would be nothing about his game that would better than a solid 8 handicapper.

There is certainly nothing in his stats to suggest anything but a mediocre short game.

As for "pro caliber', what is he like from 6 inch rough when he is short sided? What's he like off a variety of surfaces? What's he like on really quick greens?

29 putts is what I hope for in an average round. I consider myself a good putter. I don't consider myself to have a "pro caliber" short game because I usually have less than 30 putts. It just means I miss too many greens. That makes me a hacker.

Actually I would like to see it from a tight lie with a bunker between him and the green, takes some real stones to try that shot and also from your partners not running for cover. Dan has had very little experience IMO on fast greens and since he's from Oregon very few of the courses he plays are probably dry and fast.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Actually I would like to see it from a tight lie with a bunker between him and the green, takes some real stones to try that shot and also from your partners not running for cover. Dan has had very little experience IMO on fast greens and since he's from Oregon very few of the courses he plays are probably dry and fast.

Right lies make that shot easier, you can get more spin even if you hit it a bit thin. That shot from a buried lie is harder.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right lies make that shot easier, you can get more spin even if you hit it a bit thin. That shot from a buried lie is harder.

Sure a more accomplished player but I think Dan would never try it, I know I can do it and you probably can as well but there are a lot of people who wouldn't even try.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I think Dans biggest problem is a lack of athleticism. What would be interesting is finding out if he is good at anything outside of golf?

Stay with me here lads :) when you watch shows like X Factor or America Has Talent you can always tell people who are going to be good singers etc by whether they excel at stuff other than what they are on the show for.

Same for sports, the truly talented sportsmen and women are "generally" very good at other sports as well (for example many international rugby players are also very good golfers...most likely much better than Dan will ever be).

With Dan I just don't see that in him and I doubt he would be any better at anything else he does as well

Regards

Mailman

Bingo!!! I have felt this from the very first time I ever saw the guy, I don't mean it as a knock on him but more of a testament of how much of a natural athlete you have to be in order to excel at this game, very few of us have the natural ability to reach even scratch level let alone world elite status and I guess the fact Dan believes or tries to impress upon others that he has a legitimate shot is why he catches so much crap/ doubt from this forum, but of course there are quite a few here that are better than Dan that probably have not even put in 2000 hours of actual practice which in itself proves the necessity for actual talent. IMO Dan is in need of some tough love because if he was going to come even remotely close to playing on golfs biggest stage I think he would now be knocking on the door of the top 1000 amatuers in the world list. I personally know a young man who is going to play D2 next year but has only played for about a year and a half and I know his chances are extremely long but he's off to a start that is light years ahead of Dan.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Having played a bit in both California and Oregon I would say after a solid Oregon summer the courses are as dry and fast as any in California. Columbia Edgewater where he first started is a first rate golf course and has tons of plus handicaps that can really play. When set up right it is very challenging course. Royal Oaks where he played one of his tournaments has some of the fastest greens I have ever putted. The courses aren't the problem. His athletic ability is the problem. That said, the question of what makes a professional golfer is still one we have not answered. Clearly it is not just hard work and a blog. Is it hand eye coordination from childhood that carries into his skill as a adult? So if he'd a been a college baseball player with exquisite hand eye coordination with the right instructional guidance could he have done this? I think he would have had a better chance. But he needed to gain some necessary skills as a child instead of just picking up the game and planning to go on tour.

Michael

Having played a bit in both California and Oregon I would say after a solid Oregon summer the courses are as dry and fast as any in California. Columbia Edgewater where he first started is a first rate golf course and has tons of plus handicaps that can really play. When set up right it is very challenging course. Royal Oaks where he played one of his tournaments has some of the fastest greens I have ever putted. The courses aren't the problem.

His athletic ability is the problem. That said, the question of what makes a professional golfer is still one we have not answered. Clearly it is not just hard work and a blog. Is it hand eye coordination from childhood that carries into his skill as a adult? So if he'd a been a college baseball player with exquisite hand eye coordination with the right instructional guidance could he have done this? I think he would have had a better chance. But he needed to gain some necessary skills as a child instead of just picking up the game and planning to go on tour.

Well you got me there, I just assumed since it's Oregon the rainfall amounts are going to be significantly more than what we get here in N CA, plus my home course is probably one of the driest and  fastest  here in the east bay. they also cut water consumption by 30%.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

One thing on his blog a couple of posts ago rubbed me the wrong way. He said it was in the 30s and thought practice would be useless on mats with frozen golf balls. Ahem, I find practice useful during the winters in the NE in the 30s, 25 with the wind chill with frozen golf balls, especially now I'm pretty darn good with making use of video. I may not be able to stay out there as long, and yeah, sometimes it's not fun, but I do make progress in those conditions. I understand regional differences in weather and West Coasters aren't used to the cold but I felt that that statement was a tad shi**ing on us with cold winters.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

One thing on his blog a couple of posts ago rubbed me the wrong way. He said it was in the 30s and thought practice would be useless on mats with frozen golf balls. Ahem, I find practice useful during the winters in the NE in the 30s, 25 with the wind chill with frozen golf balls, especially now I'm pretty darn good with making use of video. I may not be able to stay out there as long, and yeah, sometimes it's not fun, but I do make progress in those conditions. I understand regional differences in weather and West Coasters aren't used to the cold but I felt that that statement was a tad shi**ing on us with cold winters.

Particularly if his goal is to be a professional golfer.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Was this it?

November 17:  Wanted to practice at Riverside, but they had 18 temp greens, the putting and chipping greens were frozen and the range balls off of the mats felt like rocks. I hit about 15 balls and decided there were better things to be focussing on.

I think that's okay he wants to do something else but he needs to specify to some degree, it really sounds more like he just doesn't want to hit balls in the cold. Maybe I'm being too crit i cal of the guy but why didn't he make an effort to do this in a warmer climate than northern Oregon, I know that's where he lives but the fact that he was going to do nothing but work on his golf ga me for some 8 y ears or whatever makes me wonder why he didn't try and secure some type of affordable housing in a better climate. In reality why didn't he buy a used RV or trailer cheap and get a part time job at a golf course so he could get all the free golf he needed, hell he may have even been able to park his home on the golf course property and saved on space rent, Dan obviously didn't look at all the ways he could have saved money so he could better focus on the task.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Was this it?

November 17:  Wanted to practice at Riverside, but they had 18 temp greens, the putting and chipping greens were frozen and the range balls off of the mats felt like rocks. I hit about 15 balls and decided there were better things to be focussing on.

I think that's okay he wants to do something else but he needs to specify to some degree, it really sounds more like he just doesn't want to hit balls in the cold. Maybe I'm being too critical of the guy but why didn't he make an effort to do this in a warmer climate than northern Oregon, I know that's where he lives but the fact that he was going to do nothing but work on his golf game for some 8 years or whatever makes me wonder why he didn't try and secure some type of affordable housing in a better climate. In reality why didn't he buy a used RV or trailer cheap and get a part time job at a golf course so he could get all the free golf he needed, hell he may have even been able to park his home on the golf course property and saved on space rent, Dan obviously didn't look at all the ways he could have saved money so he could better focus on the task.

Yeah, that's it.  I realize he's not intentionally doing it, but just the lack of golf IQ/awareness in that statement, or maybe he doesn't have/visit any family/friends in cold climates. There's a whole golf demographic out there who has to deal with cold weather.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Does anyone here think that Golf Channel would take Dan after the 10,000 hours is complete to compete on Big Break? I was thinking about that and it would be great if that happened. Remember that show Pipe Dream? Whatever happened to that show? He could do that too.

Does anyone here think that Golf Channel would take Dan after the 10,000 hours is complete to compete on Big Break? I was thinking about that and it would be great if that happened. Remember that show Pipe Dream? Whatever happened to that show? He could do that too.

If Dan ever made it to some of the lower Tours they might.  I'm not sure the average GC viewer knows who Dan is but if they think it will improve the ratings of the show they will exploit him however they can.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

If it's after the 10,000 hours, would Dan even do it? He won't be fundraising at that point, and from what I understand BB doesn't offer guaranteed money, just a prize for winning. Would he want to risk further humiliation?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Good question, in Dans case it could be that last chance after all else failed to claim some level of success. Fact is though even the players on that show are going to be leaps and bounds ahead of him even after he completes 10,000 hours. Could you imagine Dan trying to play on TV ? He already has shown low level tournament golf pretty much shatters what little nerves he has imagine how big a disaster he would be under pressure the contestants themselves say is huge and a lot of them have played a fair amount of tournament golf. Dan most likely would be first eliminated and probably happy to get out of there.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

What's funny is it's my short game that suffers from nerves or injury. My long game is relatively constant. Dan's long game is what suffers. How many people fall into my category versus Dan's?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="GHIN0011458" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2178#post_1080239"]   Does anyone here think that Golf Channel would take Dan after the 10,000 hours is complete to compete on Big Break? I was thinking about that and it would be great if that happened. Remember that show Pipe Dream? Whatever happened to that show? He could do that too. [/QUOTE] Good question, in Dans case it could be that last chance after all else failed to claim some level of success. Fact is though even the players on that show are going to be leaps and bounds ahead of him even after he completes 10,000 hours. Could you imagine Dan trying to play on TV ? He already has shown low level tournament golf pretty much shatters what little nerves he has imagine how big a disaster he would be under pressure the contestants themselves say is huge and a lot of them have played a fair amount of tournament golf. Dan most likely would be first eliminated and probably happy to get out of there.

He's been on tv before though and deals with the press. If his swing doesn't hold up currently I'd say it's more mechanics than pressure/mental. Of course poor mechanics can add to the pressure.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!