IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Yeah, true. Amazing he has so many followers.

Not a SINGLE one of them would be a serious golfer.

They are all hacks who believe the "anything is possible" and "You just have to work hard" mantras that are worthless.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

[QUOTE]  [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2196#post_1080996"] Yeah, true. Amazing he has so many followers.[/QUOTE] Not a SINGLE one of them would be a serious golfer. They are all hacks who believe the "anything is possible" and "You just have to work hard" mantras that are worthless.

Yeah, and the funny thing is he doesn't work that hard. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GGGrrrrrrr.....

Speaking of practice, I went to the club today just to realize that Portland had frozen overnight and the course was closed.  I am not a fan of hitting off of mats as I think it breaks your swing and body down and the chipping green/putting greens were closed too, so I’m going to use the rest of the day to logistically catch up after the trip.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

GGGrrrrrrr.....

Quote:

Speaking of practice, I went to the club today just to realize that Portland had frozen overnight and the course was closed.  I am not a fan of hitting off of mats as I think it breaks your swing and body down and the chipping green/putting greens were closed too, so I’m going to use the rest of the day to logistically catch up after the trip.

That sure sounds like someone who wants to become a pro to me. . . not. :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

GGGrrrrrrr.....

Quote:

That sure sounds like someone who wants to become a pro to me. . . not.

If you only consider that information outside the context of the plan, it's bad information. Sure, if you're super steep and keep pounding the ground, that's no good, but in general, I don't agree with the statement. And if you want to practice chipping, pitching, you can find an empty field somewhere. He's in Oregon, not some concrete jungle, like NYC.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

GGGrrrrrrr.....

Quote:

That sure sounds like someone who wants to become a pro to me. . . not.

If you only consider that information outside the context of the plan, it's bad information. Sure, if you're super steep and keep pounding the ground, that's no good, but in general, I don't agree with the statement. And if you want to practice chipping, pitching, you can find an empty field somewhere. He's in Oregon, not some concrete jungle, like NYC.

He's in the middle of Portland. I suppose there's the Columbia Children's Arboretum nearby. :-$

Seriously though, you are right about his ability to find places to practice. He could setup a net in his backyard over pea gravel like I did and there is very little impact force from a too steep swing.

The other point you brought up about his too steep swing. It appears to be an OTT swing, and not a steep "pro" type swing. His body is not bent at the hips nearly enough for the steepness he brings his clubs up.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@nevets88 I know you are angry with him, but I think you underestimate how soft we Northern California/ Oregon are. In the sunscreen song (popular in the late 90's) the suggestion from the song is that you should leave Northern California before it makes you soft. It is true. My parents were from New York and they think Californians, particular ones from the north are soft. It is not everyone, so if you are from Northern California or Oregon do not take offense, but in general the people are not as hard as folks from other parts of the country. Dan is your prototypical guy. Soft.

Michael

Quote:

@nevets88 I know you are angry with him, but I think you underestimate how soft we Northern California/ Oregon are. In the sunscreen song (popular in the late 90's) the suggestion from the song is that you should leave Northern California before it makes you soft. It is true. My parents were from New York and they think Californians, particular ones from the north are soft. It is not everyone, so if you are from Northern California or Oregon do not take offense, but in general the people are not as hard as folks from other parts of the country. Dan is your prototypical guy. Soft.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

Use the farce, Dan. Use the farce. :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This not wanting to hit off mats shouldn't surprise anyone......

"He spends about 30 hours on his game every week, but only 4-6 actually hitting golf balls. The rest is taken up by physical and mental conditioning."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/dan-mclaughlin-trying-to-become-pro-golfer-in-his-30s-using-malcolm-gladwells-10000-hour-theory/story-fndukor0-1226997138469

He basically plays 18 every day, spends a half hour warming up, then another half hour after the round.

"He spends about 30 hours on his game every week, but only 4-6 actually hitting golf balls. The rest is taken up by physical and mental conditioning."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/dan-mclaughlin-trying-to-become-pro-golfer-in-his-30s-using-malcolm-gladwells-10000-hour-theory/story-fndukor0-1226997138469

He basically plays 18 every day, spends a half hour warming up, then another half hour after the round.

I very much doubt that he plays 18 holes every day. He's posted 1 round from November, 3 rounds from October, and only 6 rounds from August. That's not what somebody who plays every day does. When I was playing daily over the summer I would sit down in the clubhouse after my round to post it on their computer just because it was easy and it gave me a running tally of how I was playing.

Interestingly enough, I found that there's a second Dan McLaughlin in the GHIN database in Oregon who has a handicap of almost exactly what most predict to be Dan's real handicap (9.2). I know it's a different guy, but I still found that kind of funny.

Also, does he really think 30 hours a week is in any way realistic? The guys on tour, if you count their physical conditioning, are putting in at least 50-60 hours a week. I know that I put in more than 30 hours a week, on top of school, during the golf season this year.

I very much doubt that he plays 18 holes every day. He's posted 1 round from November, 3 rounds from October, and only 6 rounds from August. That's not what somebody who plays every day does. When I was playing daily over the summer I would sit down in the clubhouse after my round to post it on their computer just because it was easy and it gave me a running tally of how I was playing.

Interestingly enough, I found that there's a second Dan McLaughlin in the GHIN database in Oregon who has a handicap of almost exactly what most predict to be Dan's real handicap (9.2). I know it's a different guy, but I still found that kind of funny.

I think he does play 18, but doesn't post the rounds (unless they are good) because they are "practice"

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybbq

Also, does he really think 30 hours a week is in any way realistic? The guys on tour, if you count their physical conditioning, are putting in at least 50-60 hours a week. I know that I put in more than 30 hours a week, on top of school, during the golf season this year..

What would you wager in a game of Dan vs. Dan? I would give Dan "9.2" at least 9 holes over Dan "3.2". Anyway, that Dan 9.2 is probably 14 years old or something. Unless, it's just Dan M. posting his real scores. :-D

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What would you wager in a game of Dan vs. Dan? I would give Dan "9.2" at least 9 holes over Dan "3.2". Anyway, that Dan 9.2 is probably 14 years old or something. Unless, it's just Dan M. posting his real scores. :-D

I think it would be entertaining to see a match between the two, it might come down to the wire. Speaking of match play, I wonder if Dan has ever tried it. I always felt it was a good way of measuring your potential against other players if every hole was an "average" hole since you still only lose a point on a blowup hole instead of multiple strokes. It also is a way to ease yourself into pressure situations, since a blowup hole doesn't completely kill your chances you have to learn to stay in it.

I’ll be working on the sticks from now until December 20 when I head down to Hilton Head to visit the parents.  I will definitely be bringing the clubs down there and would love a pick-up game if anyone is around.

Is anyone near Hilton Head? It would be interesting to see how he plays.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Is anyone near Hilton Head? It would be interesting to see how he plays.

That place is a dump I never go there. ;-)

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yeah, sorry Dan, but mental and physical conditioning doesn't really qualify as "deliberate practice".  Most "deliberate practice" is going to involve actually hitting golf balls. There are things you can do practicing swings without actually hitting a ball, but at some point you are going to want the feedback of hitting an actual ball. Without some kind of immediate feedback, it doesn't qualify as deliberate practice.

Physical conditioning may be physically taxing, but it doesn't really involve any great mental concentration. Mental conditioning, I'm not sure I even know what that is.

Deliberate practice is supposed to involve:

1. a repetitive task

2. with immediate feedback on results

3. requiring focus and concentration

4. designed to improve on existing skills, knowledge, or abilities, or develop new ones.

Physical and mental conditioning are the kinds of things you are supposed to do in addition to a few hours a day of this.

In music for example, deliberate practice is going to involve things like practicing scales, doing technical excersises designed to be difficult, doing drills to improve sight-reading or ear-training, etc. Not just for example, playing a song you already know and enjoy playing.

The equivalent in golf is almost certainly going to involve mostly time spent on the range or hitting balls into a net, in a way designed to improve the quality of strike and ability to control where that ball goes.  Ideally this would involve drills chosen by a knowledgable instructor who understands the current skill level and who can recommend tasks best designed to improve on that.

I wouldn't worry about Dan playing only once or twice a week if I knew he were spending 3 hours a day working on actually getting better at hitting golf balls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybbq

Yeah, sorry Dan, but mental and physical conditioning doesn't really qualify as "deliberate practice".  Most "deliberate practice" is going to involve actually hitting golf balls. There are things you can do practicing swings without actually hitting a ball, but at some point you are going to want the feedback of hitting an actual ball. Without some kind of immediate feedback, it doesn't qualify as deliberate practice.

Physical conditioning may be physically taxing, but it doesn't really involve any great mental concentration. Mental conditioning, I'm not sure I even know what that is.

Deliberate practice is supposed to involve:

1. a repetitive task

2. with immediate feedback on results

3. requiring focus and concentration

4. designed to improve on existing skills, knowledge, or abilities, or develop new ones.

Physical and mental conditioning are the kinds of things you are supposed to do in addition to a few hours a day of this.

In music for example, deliberate practice is going to involve things like practicing scales, doing technical excersises designed to be difficult, doing drills to improve sight-reading or ear-training, etc. Not just for example, playing a song you already know and enjoy playing.

The equivalent in golf is almost certainly going to involve mostly time spent on the range or hitting balls into a net, in a way designed to improve the quality of strike and ability to control where that ball goes.  Ideally this would involve drills chosen by a knowledgable instructor who understands the current skill level and who can recommend tasks best designed to improve on that.

I wouldn't worry about Dan playing only once or twice a week if I knew he were spending 3 hours a day working on actually getting better at hitting golf balls.

What is missing from his "mental game" is a "solid swing".

Judging by his dispersions on the Trakman results, it is easy to see his discomfort with making an approach shot. He has no confidence that the ball will go roughly where he hit it outside of 130 yards. If he were at least confident with all his shots up to 200 yards or so, it would make his mental game much better even off the tee. Tee shots would be much more comfortable because messing one up is not going to ruin the hole for him.

I think his latest purchase of those clubs with the "X100" shafts in them is a step towards improving his confidence with his irons. Although, I'm not sure how he determined that he needs an extra stiff really low flight Dynamic gold X100 shaft with a even higher kick than the S300 shaft and will tend to hit the ball much lower. He would need a lot of speed to get enough distance with them. I think his AP2 distances with the S300 shafts were a little bit short already, but the fitter should have known so IDK?

At least he is making attempts to improve his iron game which will affect his "mental game" directly.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!