IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I doubt that Dan has read this thread or any others for that fact, it just seems to me that he doesn't know much about the golf swing and doesn't care to learn... I mean if it was your full time job to improve at golf, how could you not have a library of swing videos, books read, recaps of lessons, stats etc. most my swing threads here have posted more videos. Dan is playing golf as a hobby and pretending it is something different.

It is, but full time? Many people work full time jobs and accomplish the same. It's an achievement, but imho, he could have done it faster.

For the amount of time put in he really didn't progress very far. There are plenty of members just on this site that probably would have improved by leaps and b

Oh, well I guess I don't really see practicing for 4+ years and getting to a 7 handicap that much of an accomplishment.

Your right it's not, in fact it's pretty much laughable, I think what this whole so called plan is showing is the test subject "Dan" is uncoordinated/ unathletic and is really more into self promotion now than actually trying to learn this game since he probably now realizes he's not cut out for it, at least for playing with the best players in the world.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

What would be interesting if some people asked him to update some videos with his new "sticks". Maybe even some random swing videos on the course or at the range or even into a net.

Looks like he plans to post new results sometime soon.

dan says:

December 9, 2014 at 9:00 am

Alcw,

So far I think my yardage is the same. It is hard to say if that will change or what it is right now as it’s winter and you need to club up to get the same yardage as in the summer. Next dry day I’ll take FlightScope out and hit a handful of balls with each new club and post the results.

Dan

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every now and then Dan reveals how he really views himself. This one had me laughing hysterically!

Dan said:The first day I had them I went out and despite having a couple small chipping duffs, a-la Tiger last Thursday, due to not being used to the different grinds and bounces.

Is he serous? No Dan of course your technique is spot on perfect what else could it be? Furthermore you should be willing to donate a large amount of your anatomy to even have 1/1,000,000th the skill Tiger has. Statements like that are what peeve off golfers, it's fine that he wants to do this experiment and all but whenever he uses Tiger as a comparison to himself it's just beyond absurd.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

TDP talking Flightscope. Says he's working on zeroing out path for irons. Still figuring out the driver.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

TDP talking Flightscope. Says he's working on zeroing out path for irons. Still figuring out the driver.

Having no confidence in the driver is not a good thing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Here's the thing. He's got a FS. If I were having problems with the driver and I am, though not to the extent of TDP, I would be getting my bad swings measured on FS and try and analyze the data. It's all fine and dandy to always show your good shots. Part of the learning process is to make mistakes. I would show my bad shots. Why not make a vid of the crap shots and then you'll have an ongoing series that shows improvement? Maybe he did this. He should post it if he did.
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I was kind of hoping to see some swings then a screen shot from flight scope ala Mark Crossfield or Rick Shiels.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here's the thing. He's got a FS. If I were having problems with the driver and I am, though not to the extent of TDP, I would be getting my bad swings measured on FS and try and analyze the data. It's all fine and dandy to always show your good shots. Part of the learning process is to make mistakes. I would show my bad shots. Why not make a vid of the crap shots and then you'll have an ongoing series that shows improvement? Maybe he did this. He should post it if he did.

The other thing is that it would have been good for him to not only show a swing with the driver but as @Lihu said, post a screenshot from FS of his driver.

Anyone remember what he says his SS with the driver is?

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

The other thing is that it would have been good for him to not only show a swing with the driver but as @Lihu said, post a screenshot from FS of his driver.

Anyone remember what he says his SS with the driver is?

I think he stated about 107 somewhere. It's in his Trakman combine results too.

The other thing I just noticed is a whole bunch of balls scattered in the driving range that look like they are barely 80 yards away. If he's the only one on the range and he's hitting only 6i, then I would guess those are some of his 6i shots. It would take a seriously thin shank for me to hit that short, and I only hit my 6i about 150 (MP-32 flat 34 degree loft which is probably his 7i, AP2 lofts). I suppose it could be warmup shots with a wedge or something, but they are scattered all over the place. Not what I would expect from a single digit player.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I mean if it was your full time job to improve at golf, how could you not have a library of swing videos, books read, recaps of lessons, stats etc. most my swing threads here have posted more videos. Dan is playing golf as a hobby and pretending it is something different.

I'm a 22 handicapper with zero chance of getting anywhere close to any kind of tour BUT I have literally hundreds of hours of video of my swing on the range and golf course and see it as a valuable part of learning this damned infernal game! :) This is also what I find slightly frustrating about this guy, the lack of video footage of his practice or game time. I'd love to see what progress he has made from the first videos I saw of him playing in a tournament from ages ago but it like like he no longerupdates his blog with videos any more?? So if I as a high hcper can do something like this in 10 minutes why can't he?; [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/-Qe7EDf4iOU[/VIDEO] Regards Mailman

• Upvote 1

Mailman

I'm a 22 handicapper with zero chance of getting anywhere close to any kind of tour BUT I have literally hundreds of hours of video of my swing on the range and golf course and see it as a valuable part of learning this damned infernal game! :)

This is also what I find slightly frustrating about this guy, the lack of video footage of his practice or game time.

I'd love to see what progress he has made from the first videos I saw of him playing in a tournament from ages ago but it like like he no longerupdates his blog with videos any more??

So if I as a high hcper can do something like this in 10 minutes why can't he?;

Regards

Mailman

Wow, I can only hope that my swing will go from the ugliness it is to the smoothness that is yours.

Christian

I'm a 22 handicapper with zero chance of getting anywhere close to any kind of tour BUT I have literally hundreds of hours of video of my swing on the range and golf course and see it as a valuable part of learning this damned infernal game! :)

This is also what I find slightly frustrating about this guy, the lack of video footage of his practice or game time.

I'd love to see what progress he has made from the first videos I saw of him playing in a tournament from ages ago but it like like he no longerupdates his blog with videos any more??

So if I as a high hcper can do something like this in 10 minutes why can't he?;

Regards

Mailman

Also looks like you lost weight? This can of course help in so many ways, flexibility, coordination , strength.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

December 8: FlightScope up and running, I spent the afternoon at Riverside seeing what numbers the new clubs were getting.  I was pleasantly surprised to have the club path basically zeroing out, and then frustrated when I couldn’t seem to hit a driver to save my life, as always.  Need to get that fixed.  I then went and played a quick 18 and had similar results to what the FS numbers were saying:  Hit just 2 fairways but then hit a good bit of greens with the irons.  all but one of my bogeys were from punching out, hitting the green and two-putting. 4,314 remain. Random Stat: shot an 80 without a birdie as my putter was as cold as my driver.

Just curious, this does not sound like someone in the 5-10 handicap range. It seems like even a 13 handicap should be more consistent throughout their set of clubs. I don't hit my clubs all that well, but getting better at irons doesn't make my driver unwind like this. If anything, when I hit my irons better my driver gets better too.

Thoughts?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just curious, this does not sound like someone in the 5-10 handicap range. It seems like even a 13 handicap should be more consistent throughout their set of clubs. I don't hit my clubs all that well, but getting better at irons doesn't make my driver unwind like this. If anything, when I hit my irons better my driver gets better too.

Thoughts?

It's silly to put any stock in a statement like that.  It's all relative.  I have days ALL THE TIME where "I can't hit a driver to save my life."  Even Tiger Woods has days like that.  But Tigers days mean that he just misses all the fairways.  Mine mean I miss all the fairways and crank at least one OB.  A 25 handicapper might say that after he's hit 4 OB and whiffed or topped a couple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Thoughts?

It's silly to put any stock in a statement like that.  It's all relative.  I have days ALL THE TIME where "I can't hit a driver to save my life."  Even Tiger Woods has days like that.  But Tigers days mean that he just misses all the fairways.  Mine mean I miss all the fairways and crank at least one OB.  A 25 handicapper might say that after he's hit 4 OB and whiffed or topped a couple.

The point I was making is that getting new irons and hitting them well should not change anything in the way he hits his driver. Unless, he is saying something like "Now that my irons are hitting so great, it's time to take my driver up a notch." I didn't really get that meaning from his post.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Also looks like you lost weight? This can of course help in so many ways, flexibility, coordination , strength.

Yes, nearly 32kg over the last 12 months.

But this is the thing that frustrates me about Dan. Video footage is probably one of the easiest things to do these days but its few and far between AND I really want to see what kind of progress he is making through his experiment.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!