IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

My irons are good, but my long clubs aren't. Does that sound familiar?

Imho, it basically means there's something fundamentally wrong with your swing. Fix the fundamental flaw, don't address the "driver" problem, no? Don't "fix the driver", by way of equipment or mentally, fix the swing. The sooner that's addressed, then I think it'll get better.

Sounds familiar, but not many people will state that their irons are good unless all their irons are good.

IDK, what is his definition of good? All I know is his dispersion in the Trakman Combine shows a lot of scatter past 140 yards with his 5i being the exception.

Do you think some of us on this site could fix his swing?

Come to think of it do you think any coach could do it?

This leads to the next question of why he does not have a series of 24 hour coaches to help him with this monumental task.

@iacas said it best before, he doesn't think there's anything wrong with his "iron" swing. Of course any good teacher here or elsewhere can help him. He has to want it though and we've said it before, he's not well funded.

I thought you mentioned that there might have been a "Fundamental Flaw" in his swing.

IDK, if there is or isn't a problem with his swing. I remember one person mentioning that he had more of an arm type of swing rather than a body rotation one?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My irons are good, but my long clubs aren't. Does that sound familiar?

Imho, it basically means there's something fundamentally wrong with your swing. Fix the fundamental flaw, don't address the "driver" problem, no? Don't "fix the driver", by way of equipment or mentally, fix the swing. The sooner that's addressed, then I think it'll get better.

Sounds familiar, but not many people will state that their irons are good unless all their irons are good.

IDK, what is his definition of good? All I know is his dispersion in the Trakman Combine shows a lot of scatter past 140 yards with his 5i being the exception.

Do you think some of us on this site could fix his swing?

Come to think of it do you think any coach could do it?

This leads to the next question of why he does not have a series of 24 hour coaches to help him with this monumental task.

@iacas said it best before, he doesn't think there's anything wrong with his "iron" swing. Of course any good teacher here or elsewhere can help him. He has to want it though and we've said it before, he's not well funded.

I thought you mentioned that there might have been a "Fundamental Flaw" in his swing.

IDK, if there is or isn't a problem with his swing. I remember one person mentioning that he had more of an arm type of swing rather than a body rotation one?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant: @iacas said it best before, Dan Plan himself doesn't think there's anything wrong with his "iron" swing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant: @iacas said it best before, Dan Plan himself doesn't think there's anything wrong with his "iron" swing.

Then he's hitting irons like Luke Donald already? I think 2015 may be the year things come unraveled.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant: @iacas said it best before, Dan Plan himself doesn't think there's anything wrong with his "iron" swing.

Then he's hitting irons like Luke Donald already? I think 2015 may be the year things come unraveled.

Maybe "doesn't think there's anything wrong" is too strong. I'm too lazy to go back to see what exactly was said. Anyways, that's the gist of it - whatever was said back then. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Basic ideas of what is being said, if it's still confusing: Dan seems to think he has excellent ball striking with every club except his driver. Rather than addressing a potential swing flaw that could be causing it, he instead remains ignorant and wants to fix his driver in a vacuum. I doubt he's even looking at tour statistics if he thinks his irons are fine. He's hitting only 75% of the greens they do at 9 GIR per round, and driver accuracy is not the fastest way to improve there. Improving his swing, therefore increasing his driver AND accuracy at the me time, is the fastest way. Unfortunately, his vanity in regards to his swing is getting in his way here.

Basic ideas of what is being said, if it's still confusing:

Dan seems to think he has excellent ball striking with every club except his driver. Rather than addressing a potential swing flaw that could be causing it, he instead remains ignorant and wants to fix his driver in a vacuum.

I doubt he's even looking at tour statistics if he thinks his irons are fine. He's hitting only 75% of the greens they do at 9 GIR per round, and driver accuracy is not the fastest way to improve there. Improving his swing, therefore increasing his driver AND accuracy at the me time, is the fastest way. Unfortunately, his vanity in regards to his swing is getting in his way here.

His last post he said he played with a +3 (he writes it out as plus-3, what the hell?) He's seen good ball striking, but maybe he's not seeing good ball striking.

Steve

His last post he said he played with a +3 (he writes it out as plus-3, what the hell?) He's seen good ball striking, but maybe he's not seeing good ball striking.

This is really strange, how could he not see he is a world away from the +3 who is a world away from the PGA....... I wonder what they both shot.

Quote:

This is really strange, how could he not see he is a world away from the +3 who is a world away from the PGA....... I wonder what they both shot.

+3 shot a 68, Dan shot an 86. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

+3 shot a 68, Dan shot an 86.

How did you find that out?

I didn't, just joking. Hence the LOL emoticon. :-)

However, if he did score well, I would have though he would have posted it in his GHIN. Plus, he said his driver went south.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I didn't, just joking. Hence the LOL emoticon.

However, if he did score well, I would have though he would have posted it in his GHIN. Plus, he said his driver went south.

ahh LOL, that's funny because that's what I would guess the score was.

Quote:

I didn't, just joking. Hence the LOL emoticon.

ahh LOL, that's funny because that's what I would guess the score was.

LOL, agreed.

If Dan is reading any of this thread, I just hope he is not vindictive or anything. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hadn't seen any of this till now and just browsed through bits of his site. His swing is almost painful to watch - I assume he's coaching himself? Given that he started from the putter and worked forwards, I'd guess the lack of lower body doing, well, anything, comes from there? It's a cool idea though, and I hope he keeps on pushing towards it, even if PGA Tour is miles away

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Hadn't seen any of this till now and just browsed through bits of his site. His swing is almost painful to watch - I assume he's coaching himself? Given that he started from the putter and worked forwards, I'd guess the lack of lower body doing, well, anything, comes from there? It's a cool idea though, and I hope he keeps on pushing towards it, even if PGA Tour is miles away

I agree with the cool idea part and I think he should have never included the PGA tour pro goal as a part of the experiment even though the theory says 10,000 will produce an expert, I just think if he would go out and just say let's just see what happens in my individual case and go on from there would probably get a lot less ridicule than sticking to an unattainable pipe dream. The goal just gets in the way of real progress IMO and what would be wrong with incremental goals instead that are achievable that can be book marked on a timeline.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Hmm, the extra stiff in his driver was "too much club" for him. Is it gloating to say, "I called it!" when it's true?

Nice call.

BTW, this is a video of him on a "Gold Coast" show. His swing is not that painful to watch anymore, at least to an untrained eye like mine.

EDIT: He dunked in the water when playing with Kota and Andrew on a par 3 at 16:20. Guess his irons aren't as good as he thought. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="b101" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2322#post_1091461"]   Hadn't seen any of this till now and just browsed through bits of his site. His swing is almost painful to watch - I assume he's coaching himself? Given that he started from the putter and worked forwards, I'd guess the lack of lower body doing, well, anything, comes from there? It's a cool idea though, and I hope he keeps on pushing towards it, even if PGA Tour is miles away [/QUOTE] I agree with the cool idea part and I think he should have never included the PGA tour pro goal as a part of the experiment even though the theory says 10,000 will produce an expert, I just think if he would go out and just say let's just see what happens in my individual case and go on from there would probably get a lot less ridicule than sticking to an unattainable pipe dream. The goal just gets in the way of real progress IMO and what would be wrong with incremental goals instead that are achievable that can be book marked on a timeline.

Agree. The PGA Tour goal. Way too much pressure. In a way, works against his goal of attaining his best swing.

Steve

Hmm, the extra stiff in his driver was "too much club" for him. Is it gloating to say, "I called it!" when it's true?

No but I think it was pretty obvious, but go ahead and gloat. :beer:

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!