IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's Dan playing golf with Kota and Andrew of Golf Getaway. He has a couple of them and they look like nice courses.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree. The PGA Tour goal. Way too much pressure. In a way, works against his goal of attaining his best swing.

This is a bit of a marketing issue. He has always said that he wants to have sponsors in order to offset the amount of money he needs to run the entire plan all the way through. In fact his first golf club allowed him to play at their club because he promoted the idea that his notoriety would bring new members to the club. If he had run his marketing saying that he was planning to test the 10,000 theory to win his club championship most people would have said "who cares". (People may be saying who cares anyways...but that is besides the point) He had to make the final goal golf at the highest level to make it interesting. To draw the press to write about him, to make his story at least a little interesting. The headline of the PGA Tour can only help his marketing agenda. So I feel he had no choice but to tell everyone this was the end goal.

Michael

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Agree. The PGA Tour goal. Way too much pressure. In a way, works against his goal of attaining his best swing.

This is a bit of a marketing issue. He has always said that he wants to have sponsors in order to offset the amount of money he needs to run the entire plan all the way through. In fact his first golf club allowed him to play at their club because he promoted the idea that his notoriety would bring new members to the club. If he had run his marketing saying that he was planning to test the 10,000 theory to win his club championship most people would have said "who cares". (People may be saying who cares anyways...but that is besides the point) He had to make the final goal golf at the highest level to make it interesting. To draw the press to write about him, to make his story at least a little interesting. The headline of the PGA Tour can only help his marketing agenda. So I feel he had no choice but to tell everyone this was the end goal.

I agree. He's handcuffed either way. If you want to carry out a project such as this that really utilizes effective learning methods and deliberate practice, it has to be well funded, the person has to be independently wealthy, or whatever case in which money is no issue. Then no outside influence from people who want to advertise and no pressure to achieve unattainable goals.

Wonder if any Masters/PhD candidates thought of trying this on someone for a thesis. A university that has the facilities and a good team probably has a couple of good coaches or has good connections to coaches. That takes a giant bite out of the cost.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

This exact same though crossed my mind as well. He really had no other way to get endorsements.

At this point he is a decent golfer, but not too bright. His experience playing with Kota should have shown him just how hard it is to aspire to play in the PGA as that is Kota's dream as well. The funny thing is he's only half of Dan's age with a whole lot more skill. His swing also looks efficient while Dan's still looks a bit weak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

I agree. He's handcuffed either way. If you want to carry out a project such as this that really utilizes effective learning methods and deliberate practice, it has to be well funded, the person has to be independently wealthy, or whatever case in which money is no issue. Then no outside influence from people who want to advertise and no pressure to achieve unattainable goals.

Wonder if any Masters/PhD candidates thought of trying this on someone for a thesis. A university that has the facilities and a good team probably has a couple of good coaches or has good connections to coaches. That takes a giant bite out of the cost.

There's really nothing to learn, academically, from an experience like this one. It's pretty obvious that you need talent and lots of practice time to get good at anything. People have been doing this for ages.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There's really nothing to learn, academically, from an experience like this one. It's pretty obvious that you need talent and lots of practice time to get good at anything. People have been doing this for ages.

Mm, might be stretching it a bit. There are things we describe using fluffy terms (athleticism, talent, for example) which, as far as I know, we don't completely understand the scientific basis for. Surely those topics are worthwhile of further academic work? Or are you referring to just The Dan Plan (in which case I wholeheartedly agree).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Mm, might be stretching it a bit. There are things we describe using fluffy terms (athleticism, talent, for example) which, as far as I know, we don't completely understand the scientific basis for. Surely those topics are worthwhile of further academic work? Or are you referring to just The Dan Plan (in which case I wholeheartedly agree).

This is what I am referring to. I agree that there is a lot more to learn academically about the physical sciences of our species.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nice call.

BTW, this is a video of him on a "Gold Coast" show. His swing is not that painful to watch anymore, at least to an untrained eye like mine.

EDIT: He dunked in the water when playing with Kota and Andrew on a par 3 at 16:20. Guess his irons aren't as good as he thought. . .

Wow, these two guys are huge compared to Dan.  Haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

BTW, this is a video of him on a "Gold Coast" show. His swing is not that painful to watch anymore, at least to an untrained eye like mine.

EDIT: He dunked in the water when playing with Kota and Andrew on a par 3 at 16:20. Guess his irons aren't as good as he thought. . .

Wow, these two guys are huge compared to Dan.  Haha.

I did notice that. Plus, Koto is not the biggest player in the world which you can tell when he is propped up against his driver in the other video. Not relevant to his goal, but I kind of think Dan is in the 5'7" 130 pound range rather than his declared 5'9" 150 pounds.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I found this interesting as I listened to a great podcast on the topic of talent/effective practice a couple of days ago whilst driving to the course. http://birdiebank.com/ - shuffle down a bit and it's the interview with Daniel Coyle (Talent Code). Genuinely one of the more interesting things I've listened to/read in the last year or so as it backed up a lot of what I've thought or noticed about my own practice sessions.

Again, there's a lot Danplan could learn from this...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf-noob-bruce

I found this interesting as I listened to a great podcast on the topic of talent/effective practice a couple of days ago whilst driving to the course. http://birdiebank.com/ - shuffle down a bit and it's the interview with Daniel Coyle (Talent Code). Genuinely one of the more interesting things I've listened to/read in the last year or so as it backed up a lot of what I've thought or noticed about my own practice sessions.

Again, there's a lot Danplan could learn from this...

Interesting stuff. Dan could learn a lot from this, he could probably even learn a lot from just normal instruction as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nice call.

Playing off a 2 right now?!? I'm calling bullshit on that, and scratch is on the horizon? Serious??? This guy has to be one of the most delusional individuals I have ever seen. Point is if Dan had any real athletic ability he should be past scratch by now, he's more like a 7 or 8 which is a long ways from 2, I'm real anxious to see his tournament scores this year.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Playing off a 2 right now?!? I'm calling bullshit on that, and scratch is on the horizon? Serious??? This guy has to be one of the most delusional individuals I have ever seen. Point is if Dan had any real athletic ability he should be past scratch by now, he's more like a 7 or 8 which is a long ways from 2, I'm real anxious to see his tournament scores this year.

Yeah, his swing looks decent, but not for a 2 handicap. Dunking the ball at a roughly 180-185 yard forced carry seems a little unforgivable for a 2 handicap. I find it unforgivable for myself, and I'm a 12.8, currently playing like a 16. :-X

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Nice call.

If he continues to take advice like that from Koto where he asks him what should I work on long game or short game and Koto says short game for sure, then this guy is heading in the wrong direction still.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Here's Dan playing golf with Kota and Andrew of Golf Getaway. He has a couple of them and they look like nice courses.

I dunno, imho, it looks the same as it's always been to me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

I dunno, imho, it looks the same as it's always been to me.

His swing looks a little bit more aggressive, he just has that funny stretching twitch thing going on at the end of the follow through as if to show everyone that he is "young and flexible" rather than approaching middle age? Andrew's commented that Kota is half of Dan's age and that Andrew was almost half of Dan's age.

Maybe Andrew was hoping that Dan would understand how much better Kota was than he during the interview in the end? The final score was something like: Kota 15, Dan 2, Andrew 1 with Kota just missing a couple eagles. That kid is only aspiring to be on the PGA tour, and Dan does not seem to understand how much better Kota is than he?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

His swing looks a little bit more aggressive, he just has that funny stretching twitch thing going on at the end of the follow through as if to show everyone that he is "young and flexible" rather than approaching middle age? Andrew's commented that Kota is half of Dan's age and that Andrew was almost half of Dan's age. Maybe Andrew was hoping that Dan would understand how much better Kota was than he during the interview in the end? The final score was something like: Kota 15, Dan 2, Andrew 1 with Kota just missing a couple eagles. That kid is only aspiring to be on the PGA tour, and Dan does not seem to understand how much better Kota is than he?

Well, you know, Dan's playing off a 2HC and Kota is like a +5 and a prodigy but gosh darnit, Dan is confident he's going to get to the PGA so that's all that matters! ;)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I am willing to bet everyone else left testicle that dan doesn't make it on to the PGA tour (outside of guest invites or something like that) BUT by golly isn't he doing what any one of us would absolutely LOVE to do. Living the dream of playing golf day in day out!

Even when he eventually doesn't make it he is still doing stuff that most of us would love to do and in that respect he has my respect for making this thing of his happen.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Purely speculative and I could be wrong but I don't think he truly enjoys it, as much of a positive attitude he puts forward.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!