IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't. I see a shot like on 18 (Duff knows the hole). I'm 175 yds from the flag. I pull a 5 iron. No, change that a 6 iron. I need to carry 165 to get past a water hazard and a bunker. I hammer it. It pops and stops on the green. I'm on the green pin high.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't. I see a shot like on 18 (Duff knows the hole). I'm 175 yds from the flag. I pull a 5 iron. No, change that a 6 iron. I need to carry 165 to get past a water hazard and a bunker. I hammer it. It pops and stops on the green. I'm on the green pin high.

Do you mean that you don't swing any differently on the course versus on the range?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That is my hell hole from, well, hell lol. No matter what I do I can't even par that thing. It's fun though.

• 2 weeks later...

Pivot point? That other plan in Australia, saw a FB post, eh, not interesting. More emphasis on working out than I care for. I am done with these types of plans, the myswing threads here are more grounded in reality. Disappointing, discouraging, why did I ever get swept up in it and the media, not that that should be surprising. Yeah, and Malcolm Gladwell, pffffft.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pivot point? That other plan in Australia, saw a FB post, eh, not interesting. More emphasis on working out than I care for. I am done with these types of plans, the myswing threads here are more grounded in reality. Disappointing, discouraging, why did I ever get swept up in it and the media, not that that should be surprising. Yeah, and Malcolm Gladwell, pffffft.

An interesting tweet in some ways though - what big changes I wonder.....

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

An interesting tweet in some ways though - what big changes I wonder.....

Not golf I hope, don't sense an authentic enjoyment of it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3460_10#post_1198874"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3450#post_1198833"] Pivot point? That other plan in Australia, saw a FB post, eh, not interesting. More emphasis on working out than I care for. I am done with these types of plans, the myswing threads here are more grounded in reality. Disappointing, discouraging, why did I ever get swept up in it and the media, not that that should be surprising. Yeah, and Malcolm Gladwell, pffffft. [/QUOTE] An interesting tweet in some ways though - what big changes I wonder.....[/QUOTE] Not golf I hope, don't sense an authentic enjoyment of it.

It's from a 'fellow' photographer and still no update to the 10,000 hours countdown since the begining of May. I may be reading too much into it......

Pete Iveson

The Dan Plan is Dead.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

The Dan Plan is Dead.

Is this insider knowledge, Phil, or an educated guess (based on the fact he's not posting, playing, answering questions etc)?

Pete Iveson

Just to clarify, my correction included the past tense to convey that the Dan Plan being dead was nothing new. I think we started discussion on the idea that Dan was looking for an exit strategy to end it soon after he started playing in tournaments.

If this is indeed the end I wonder how people view it overall? Looking back over the thread and Dan's blog it seems like attitudes towards him changed over time from supportive to, well, not so supportive. It's kind of ironic because he didn't change what he was doing at all. Maybe that's a major factor - people just felt frustrated because they could see what Dan was doing wasn't working and yet those that tried to 'steer' Dan into doing it differently were pretty much ignored. Question is, was that Dan's fault? I had some amusing chats on Dan's blog with a guy called Richard Chen (remember him? Perhaps you're still reading one of his entries ......) and if I were Dan I think I'd have politely ignored some of his advice. And then others gave hugely helpful tips which also seemed to be ignored. My call is Dan couldn't work out which were useful and which weren't and so ignored the lot and just kept on doing what he was doing. This got him to a certain point but wasn't going to get him further. Overall I think Dan gave it his best shot. I think he was a little 'economical' with how well it was going when asked in interviews etc (saying how low he had got rather than where he was now) but he must have sat there seeing it slowly slipping away which must have been hard - it's not as if he didn't invest a bit of time in this. Kind of hope this is an enforced break rather than the end. I still think he could go further if he'd just reassess how he goes about it, just playing lots of golf isn't going to cut it. If it is a break I don't really get why there's no announcement on his blog to that affect. If this is the end of the Plan I don't buy the whole motivational speaking gig. On his Twitter account the description reads "On a mission to prove, by dedicating 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to a completely new field of expertise, that nothing is impossible in life." Well if that was the mission and the target was playing on tour, I'm not convinced you'll motivate anyone by showing that some things are in fact impossible. Some form of success towards the stated goal was needed in order to go down that route in my opinion.

Pete Iveson

If this is indeed the end I wonder how people view it overall?

Looking back over the thread and Dan's blog it seems like attitudes towards him changed over time from supportive to, well, not so supportive. It's kind of ironic because he didn't change what he was doing at all. Maybe that's a major factor - people just felt frustrated because they could see what Dan was doing wasn't working and yet those that tried to 'steer' Dan into doing it differently were pretty much ignored.

Question is, was that Dan's fault? I had some amusing chats on Dan's blog with a guy called Richard Chen (remember him? Perhaps you're still reading one of his entries ......) and if I were Dan I think I'd have politely ignored some of his advice. And then others gave hugely helpful tips which also seemed to be ignored. My call is Dan couldn't work out which were useful and which weren't and so ignored the lot and just kept on doing what he was doing. This got him to a certain point but wasn't going to get him further.

Overall I think Dan gave it his best shot. I think he was a little 'economical' with how well it was going when asked in interviews etc (saying how low he had got rather than where he was now) but he must have sat there seeing it slowly slipping away which must have been hard - it's not as if he didn't invest a bit of time in this.

Kind of hope this is an enforced break rather than the end. I still think he could go further if he'd just reassess how he goes about it, just playing lots of golf isn't going to cut it. If it is a break I don't really get why there's no announcement on his blog to that affect. If this is the end of the Plan I don't buy the whole motivational speaking gig. On his Twitter account the description reads "On a mission to prove, by dedicating 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to a completely new field of expertise, that nothing is impossible in life." Well if that was the mission and the target was playing on tour, I'm not convinced you'll motivate anyone by showing that some things are in fact impossible. Some form of success towards the stated goal was needed in order to go down that route in my opinion.

Haha yah I remember old Richard Chen, did he ever post or send you his swing like you requested?

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3456#post_1200986"] If this is indeed the end I wonder how people view it overall? Looking back over the thread and Dan's blog it seems like attitudes towards him changed over time from supportive to, well, not so supportive. It's kind of ironic because he didn't change what he was doing at all. Maybe that's a major factor - people just felt frustrated because they could see what Dan was doing wasn't working and yet those that tried to 'steer' Dan into doing it differently were pretty much ignored. Question is, was that Dan's fault? I had some amusing chats on Dan's blog with a guy called Richard Chen (remember him? Perhaps you're still reading one of his entries ......) and if I were Dan I think I'd have politely ignored some of his advice. And then others gave hugely helpful tips which also seemed to be ignored. My call is Dan couldn't work out which were useful and which weren't and so ignored the lot and just kept on doing what he was doing. This got him to a certain point but wasn't going to get him further. Overall I think Dan gave it his best shot. I think he was a little 'economical' with how well it was going when asked in interviews etc (saying how low he had got rather than where he was now) but he must have sat there seeing it slowly slipping away which must have been hard - it's not as if he didn't invest a bit of time in this. Kind of hope this is an enforced break rather than the end. I still think he could go further if he'd just reassess how he goes about it, just playing lots of golf isn't going to cut it. If it is a break I don't really get why there's no announcement on his blog to that affect. If this is the end of the Plan I don't buy the whole motivational speaking gig. On his Twitter account the description reads "On a mission to prove, by dedicating 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to a completely new field of expertise, that nothing is impossible in life." Well if that was the mission and the target was playing on tour, I'm not convinced you'll motivate anyone by showing that some things are in fact impossible. Some form of success towards the stated goal was needed in order to go down that route in my opinion.[/QUOTE] Haha yah I remember old Richard Chen, did he ever post or send you his swing like you requested?

Nope. I'll try to act surprised.......

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3456#post_1200995"] Nope. I'll try to act surprised.......[/QUOTE] That's too bad, I thought you were pretty clever with the "swing based on science".

I only vaguely remember what I said. It was more the way the good Mr Chen could break the swing down into a ridiculously complicated equation and give reems of advice on how to swing a club but sort of stalled when you said "Show me." Maybe a little unfair to 'call him out' but I wanted to see what the perfect scientific swing looked like. Alas, we'll never know :-)

Pete Iveson

Don't know where he is with golf, but maybe this injury has taught him how to get healthy, so he discovered the bible and wrote up a new e-book and called it, yes, The Daniel Plan!  (this was one of the top Google results for "Dan Plan McLaughlin back injury golf", sorted by recency- to see if any news was happening):

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Don't know where he is with golf, but maybe this injury has taught him how to get healthy, so he discovered the bible and wrote up a new e-book and called it, yes, The Daniel Plan! (this was one of the top Google results for "Dan Plan McLaughlin back injury golf", sorted by recency- to see if any news was happening):

Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer. Lions sold separately. :-)

Steve

Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!