IGNORED

Do i need extra-stiff clubs?

tmf9
Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was hitting balls in the launch monitor the other day and my average swing speed was about 115mph with a driver and my highest was 121.  I had never even thought about getting x-stiff clubs until the guy that works at golf galaxy said something about it.  Does my swing speed really require x-stiff shaft?

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

I hit my driver at about that same speed and I use a stiff shaft and love it.  I've always heard that too stiff of a shaft is worse than too soft, so err on the soft side.  But I'm certainly no expert club fitter and I'd recommend that you talk to someone who is before you buy your next set.  And there's no harm in trying an x-stiff to see what you think.  If its too stiff for you the tendency to look for is a low trajectory and the ball will want to stay out to the right.

My average SS is slightly below yours, in the 112-113 range, but I do get above 120 if I'm going at one. I have a fairly quick tempo, and (according to a local pro) a rather severe transition, so I tend to benefit more from a stiffer shaft. Particulary in the mid to tip area. Otherwise, I'm all over the place trying to time the release of the head with a too-soft shaft. And forget trying to control a stiff shaft if I'm 'going for it'. I personally have found that a overly stiff shaft will lose a little distance, while a too-soft shaft has a higher dispersion. I'll take the minor distance loss and keep it on the short stuff.  :)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It is possible. The post mentioning tempo and transition hit two of the important issues. Trajectory and whether you draw or fade the ball have to be considered as well. A smooth swinging 112 who fades the ball might need stiff, and a quick aggressive 108 who draws the ball might need x stiff. Swing speed plus other factors tells you it would be worth it to try and x stiff of the same model in one of your clubs and see how it performs.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by wmiller

My average SS is slightly below yours, in the 112-113 range, but I do get above 120 if I'm going at one. I have a fairly quick tempo, and (according to a local pro) a rather severe transition, so I tend to benefit more from a stiffer shaft. Particulary in the mid to tip area. Otherwise, I'm all over the place trying to time the release of the head with a too-soft shaft. And forget trying to control a stiff shaft if I'm 'going for it'. I personally have found that a overly stiff shaft will lose a little distance, while a too-soft shaft has a higher dispersion. I'll take the minor distance loss and keep it on the short stuff.  :)

You sound a lot like me because ive been told i have a very quick transition and i hit the ball a mile and but only God knows where it is going lol.  Sounds like I would benefit from a stiffer shaft because my main miss is a hook.  My only problem is i do hit the occasional block and if im not wrong an x-stiff shaft would make that worse.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

My normal 'miss' is a pull draw, or pull hook, but that is the indian, not the arrow. I to can block them right on occasion, or when I get tired I get stuck over my back foot. Big yellow banana in that case!  ;) My point is, the shaft won't cure your swing faults, so I would never recommend to someone to buy a shaft because they sometimes slice or hook a ball.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by wmiller

My normal 'miss' is a pull draw, or pull hook, but that is the indian, not the arrow. I to can block them right on occasion, or when I get tired I get stuck over my back foot. Big yellow banana in that case!  ;) My point is, the shaft won't cure your swing faults, so I would never recommend to someone to buy a shaft because they sometimes slice or hook a ball.

Haha oh i know it want cure it but every little bit helps lol, and i need some help!!

What's in my bag?

My driver SS averages out around 116, and i play X flex in all my clubs. They REALLY help my shot placement, plus i picked up around 20 yards with my driver and 10 with my irons :)

Also, the average PGA player swings his driver at 112, and they all use X flex.

Good luck whatever you decide! I have a PING G15 in x flex for sale too

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

A swing speed of 115 -121 = X stiff.  At least generically for internet posting and such.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!