IGNORED

Should a Beginner Use a High-Quality Ball Like a Pro V1?

Note: This thread is 1870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ckolson

Does more spin on the green also equate to more spin off of the tee and in turn less accuracy for new golfers? Will this lead to more balls either slicing or hooking for beginners?

Yes, although i would be willing to bet a newbie will slice much more than hook

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No.  Save your money.  You won't notice the difference or any appreciable distance.  A decent two piece ball is all your really need.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

well it all depends on your swing type also, you hit constant slices or hooks off your driver, probably wouldn't want to play a spin ball correct? if the beginner can smack a ball dead straight, play a premium ball.

have fun on the golf course! score low right?

• 5 months later...

Dont think a more expensive ball like V1 will make much difference -except perhaps in your wallet...you might want to try one of the very best all around 2 piece balls which is also made by Titleist...the DT  So/Lo

These balls are a great mix of distance and feel and go for about 20 bucks a dozen new .. and.much less recycled.

also do yourself a favor and avoid refinished balls altogether...good luck!

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

also do yourself a favor and avoid refinished balls altogether...good luck!

Just curious ... why avoid refinished ?    I've heard this before ... do they cost too much, or does the refinishing process alter the ball ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought some refinished balls once.  They were awful.  They were NXT Tours and felt like rocks compared to the AAAA ball from lostgolfballs.  They also would only play one or two holes before the "finish" was gone.  For the price you are better off with the AAAA or even AAA ball.

McGregor VIP's 2 for $32.00.

Nice ball to use on a daily basis. Rumor is that this ball is made by Srixon.

3 piece Urethane cover.....good distance, decent spin ----- pretty durable.

I bought a dozen Pro V1?? to try it out. It is a great ball, but a bit too much $$$ for me.

As a beginner, you will have your shares of lost balls and a few cart paths and trees on the way. This ball is great between tee and green but not for cart paths, rocks and trees.

I agree with the advise to play one make of ball for a long time. Even as a beginner, you will help yourself with feel on and near the greens. Sure, from 100 yards out you may not notice any difference between "your ball" and some ball you found a few minutes ago -- good or bad. But when you have a long putt, you have a better chance of learning to control your distance if you play the same ball all the time -- regardless of the ball. If you like the way it feels off your putter, so much the better.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

If you have the cash laying around, then I say why not just go for the quality ball that you like.  But I do agree, if you are just beginning, you are going to lose a lot of balls and you most likely won't be able to tell the difference.  I have bought everything from refinished balls to high end quality ProV1s.  I played fine with both and like using my refinished balls on the courses that are more challenging that I know I have the potential of losing a ball here or there.

For me, since I started in March, I found that if I bought a game improvement type ball (e6, Noodle, Nike Crush - blue, PD Long) I did ok once I got fitted and got used to what I was doing. I think I lost one ball in 3 months. I hit it longer and straighter. As my game gets better the ball continues to shine.

I agree that you should stick with one ball for quite a little while - one season or so...

Just my thoughts.

Freeze

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Originally Posted by everettjrt

I am a beginner. Should I use a high quality ball?

No

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

The type of ball that you use should be based on your financial comfort level at the end of the day. Will a beginner notice different results from a Slazenger Distance ball, as opposed to a tour ball (Pro V1, B330-RXS, Tour (i), Penta, etc.)? Most likely not . If you're financially comfortable to the point where losing a $45.00 box of balls on 18 holes won't bother you, then why not? Play what you want.

Based on the game of golf and performance though, a beginner would not be able to quickly notice the difference between 2 unmarked balls. One being a Distance ball (Slazenger, Maxfli, Wilson, etc.) while the other being a Penta or Pro V1. The only thing a beginner would notice would be a different reaction of the ball off of their putter, assuming they have a sound/consistent putting technique/stroke.

My opinion is to use a ball that will match your swing speed. All this other stuff really won't matter if you can't compress the ball for it's potential to even be noticed.

• Upvote 1

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

^ This. Use a ball that you can compress each layer. A 2-3 piece ball will do. You might find that you like the feel of them better.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Ignoring the cost, I do find that playing one consistent ball has helped me even if it's just a mental crutch.  I think if you gave me a Srixon I could tell you what model it was after nine holes.  I cannot say which is better though, but having one ball eliminates the consistency questions in my head.  I know I can't blame the ball. When I find a ball and play it and misfit I always wonder if it me of the ball. Deep down I know it's me.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher, Aldila DVS 55-R Shaft, cutoff to 42" 4 Wood - TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast Hybrid - TaylorMade R11 Rescue, 18.5* Irons - 4-P TaylorMade R7 Wedges - Cleveland Forged 588's 50*, 54*, 60* Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Ball - Bridgestone E6 :-P

I suggest playing all kinds of balls to find out which one suits you the best. This you will learn over time as you hit more rounds in. You never know what ball ends up being the best for your game. But yea, get em secondhand. When I first started out I would go to the course with 20 balls and loose all of them after a round. Just get ready for that.

Once you get better you will probably have already found a favorite ball. If your can really swing it well then no harm in trying out all the high end balls to see which one suits you best.

In short, experiment...get as many rounds in as you can with all types of balls. Once you stop losing so many (say 5 or less balls per round) have a look at the higher end ones.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 905R w GraphiteDesign YS-6 Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Callaway X 3 Wood 15º w Aldila NV65 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Callaway X 3H 21º Stiff
Irons 4 - SW: Callaway X 18 Graphite Shaft (Stiff)
Wedges: Cleveland CG12 Chrome 52º, CG 15 Chrome 60º
Putter: Odyssey Crimson 660
Balls: Titleist ProV1

Get the balls you can afford to lose so you don't hold up the show looking aimlessly for another errant shot. Just drop and go when you're just getting started. The people in your group (and the people in following groups) will thank you. A beginner is going to be awful in different ways with different balls. Just pick a team and stick with it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

no, but if you got money to burn..why not.  Pro V's do feel great off the face of all the clubs..just feels like a punch in your gut when it goes in the water.  If you are hacking away right now..I say hack away with some Rock Flite's..you won't know the difference yet.

Note: This thread is 1870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!