IGNORED

Grip Installation Gurus - Need Help…

Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by rasky44

When you guys use the compressor method do you still put a little grip tape on the end to help seal the end of the shaft or is this unnecessary?

It is completely unnecessary, regardless of installation method.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

still put the tape on the end, it makes sliding easier.  i've also blown grips on with the water soluable tape and air and have been able to swing them right away instead of waiting for the solvent to dry.  a little water on the end of the opening is all that's needed, even with Winns.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I've been putting my own grips on since I was 12. I do it the way my dad taught me and like his dad taught him. (I did add something for efficiency and less consumption) It's super cheap and easy.

Supplies: Grip tape, lighter fluid, two cereal bowls or tupperware.

After removing the old grip and tape, put the desired amount of tape on the grip and peel off back.

Use your finger to block the little hole in the grip and squirt lighter fluid in. Fill for about 7 seconds. Then cover both ends and shake the grip to disperse lighter fluid.

Next, put the club upside down in the bowl angled so that the shaft is in a corner.

Pour lighter fluid out of grip down the tape on the shaft, rotating as you pour.

(My addition to the process)= Since you used the bowls, after the first grip, you'll have extra lighter fluid in one of the bowls. Simply use that as extra fluid when pouring on the tape to make it easier.

*Sorry for length. Turned out it's easier said than typed.*

titleist.gif 910 D2 9.5* Aldila RIP 70titleist.gif906F2 15* Fujikura Speeder
titleist.gif ZM 3-P DG S300titleist.gifAP2 2iron Project X 6.0
titleist.gif 200:52.08 DG S300  SM 56.11 Project X 6.0  SM 60.07 DG S300 
                  cameron.gif California Series  Del Mar

Quote:

When you guys use the compressor method do you still put a little grip tape on the end to help seal the end of the shaft or is this unnecessary?

Originally Posted by Zeph

It is completely unnecessary, regardless of installation method.

That, and once you insert the air nozzle, it will not only pierce the tape, but when you apply the air any "seal" it made will be toast anyhow.

• 2 years later...

My installation process (I don't have a compressor, workbench, clamp, pouring tray or anything else fitters use) which I've never had issue with yet:

- Cut tape to the correct length for the grip.
- Stick the center of the tape (along the length of the shaft) onto the shaft leaving 1/2in extra loose at the end.
- Rub the tape with a curved finger from the center outward toward the short edges until half is stuck correctly and repeat for the other half until it's wrapped around the shaft completely.
- Peel back the tape to reveal the sticky side and pinch and twist the overhang, pushing it down into the butt of the shaft loosely.
- Put a tee in the small hole in the end of the grip and fill the grip up with mineral spirits to the top.

- Rest the end of the taped shaft in a small pot and gently pour the mineral spirits out of the grip over the tape and let it run down into the pot, turning the shaft while pouring to make sure it's all been covered with spirits.
- Turn the club over and put the head of the club on the floor, pull out the tee from the grip and quickly slide the grip down over the tape as squarely as possible.
- Make sure the grip's as down as it can be and make any adjustments to twists and misalignments when still wet.
- Leave to dry (normally I leave mine until the next day)

If I fitted grips enough I'd invest in a compressor as they're MUCH easier to install! lol

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I've found good old fashioned lighter fluid works as good as anything. Tried it after I saw Arnie use it. Dries pretty quick too.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

...  I've found best results if I hold my finger over the little vent hole at the butt end of the grip, pour a little solvent into the grip, cap the other end with a finger and then shake it around to get the inside of the grip nice and coated.    I then pour out the solvent from inside the grip onto the shaft to wet the tape, and slide it right on. ...

Classic grip-ology!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 8 months later...
I always use the conventional methods to get grips on - grip tape, wet it with what we call white spirit in the UK, shake a little of the white spirit up and down the insides of the grip with my finger on the butt end to cover the hole and another finger on the other end - tip out on the garden(not on plants) and then just push the grip on. Dead easy so long as you have a piece of grip tape over the sharp end of the shaft to stop it digging into the grip. Do not use petrol / gas as this has 'diluted' some Karakal putter grips I was putting on. The outer layer started to come off immediately and over a week or so the grip was in a terrible state - so no more petrol for me. Removing grips - my easy no compressor way. Buy a refil container of cigarette ligher fuel - the gas 'aerolsol' one not the old fashioned pertol lighter fuel. Take one of the adaptors that fits tightly into the end hole of the grip. With one of those childrens hypodermic medicine dispensers ( the ones that look like a hypodernic without the needle) fill it with about half a teaspoon of white spirit and 'inject' this through the butt end hole of the grip (make a hole in the grip tape first if it is sealing the shaft tube). Stick the lighter fuel cannister with adaptor onto the end of the grip holding the shaft (clubhead up to the sky) through the hole and pressthe cannister as though filling a lighter - the gas will fill the shaft and start to expand the grip taking the fluid white spirit up the sides of the grip unsticking it as it goes up. Wear glassesor something to protech your eyes because like a compressor all this can go bang in your face - you wantnto protect your eyes. Pull the cannister off - white spirit and gass will pop out - pull the grip off. job done - same as a compressor but way cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Chris, doesn't the white spirit just sit at the bottom of the shaft when it's poured in? I get the aerosol filling the shaft and then pushing down the inside of the grip; that makes complete sense but my brain can't work out how the fluid pours down the inside if it's at the bottom (head end) of the shaft?

I'm asking because I've spent hours mucking around with a Golfsmith grip remover and mineral spirits getting grips off to replace. :/

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 4 years later...
On 4/26/2011 at 11:39 AM, Clambake said:

As Wet Doggg mentioned, it's probably solvent related.     In addition to pouring solvent onto the shaft & grip tape, do you also put some in the grip?    I've found best results if I hold my finger over the little vent hole at the butt end of the grip, pour a little solvent into the grip, cap the other end with a finger and then shake it around to get the inside of the grip nice and coated.    I then pour out the solvent from inside the grip onto the shaft to wet the tape, and slide it right on.

One other thing that will make it tough is if you don't fold the grip tape into the butt end of the shaft a little.   Most instruction say to leave a 1/2 inch or so of tape past the butt end and then fold it into the end of the shaft.   Once wetted this helps the grip slide on more easily as the rough metal edge of the shaft isn't trying to cut into the inside of the grip rubber as you slide it on.

By the way, you mention that you've tried acetone.   I wouldn't recommend it as a grip solvent as it will actually eat into many rubber compounds a bit, and also if you spill some on the ferrules on the club it will attack the plastic.

Just did this. They all went on so easy!  Thanks

• iacas changed the title to Grip Installation Gurus - Need Help…
2 hours ago, Hackinandwhackin said:

Just did this. They all went on so easy!  Thanks

Well hopefully he’ll still appreciate the thanks ...8 years later.😀

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I use both a compressor with an air gun and a solvent tub, it just depends what i am doing.  I will say that you need to use a lot of solvent,  no matter what it is. If you don't want to spend money on a solvent tank, use an aluminum turkey pan so you can catch and reclaim your solvent.  I generally give the grip a good fill, plug both ends and slosh it around  inside the grip. Then i dump it over  the tape and slide the grip on. Generally,  the grip will slide right on and seat properly.  If it doesn't,  grab your club by the head and push the grip against the floor to slide it all the way to the top, then turn it o er and straighten it out. More is more better with solvent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

One of the keys is making sure you have plenty of solvent on the end of the club to help the grip slip on easier. I use charcoal lighter fluid because it doesn't evaporate as fas, and the tape stays slippery longer. also once you star pushing the grip on the club, don't stop. keep pushing!

Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!