IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

I can't even get off the tee now. I hit two decent drives and then fell apart. Hitting fat way behind the ball with the driver... Don't have a problem hitting the 3 wood off the tee.

Tee'd the ball up high to try to pick it off the tee without going anywhere near the ground hit even further back.

The new driver's staying in the house until I've fixed this to prevent any more scarring!

Update: been to the range and I'm now a bit more confident. Clipped the ground a few times... but a few out of a hundred is better than 6 out of 8!

The swing thought which worked for me was keeping the right arm connected, as if I was holding a tee in my armpit.

I hit my Cleveland Monster (12° draw / closed face) too and was hitting it dead straight, the same swing with the RBZ (10.5° neutral) was giving me a fade/slice, so I've adjusted it up to 12° (to close the face, and to be honest, the better shots were flying kinda low anyway). It gives me more confidence when looking down at address anyway...

Hopefully this works out!

• 2 weeks later...

Updated video!

Here are some caddy view shots of me hitting a 7 iron (12 shots). Ignore the clubs on the ground, they were more for getting the camera in position

Too much head movement, grip too strong, elbows separating on takeaway.

1. Heavy/Fat
  2. Ok (picked)
  3. Heavy/Fat
  4. Good
  5. A little fat
  6. Big slice/shank
  7. Good
  8. Good
  9. Good
  10. Good
  11. Good
  12. Shank

All of the non-fat, non-shank contacts were 10 yard draws. Mostly starting right but some straight and a pull.

This was filmed after my round (10 holes) this morning (Shot a 49. 3 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles and a triple.)

This is going to help create a more consistent low point, hit it better.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Mike.

I'm great at making a good, centered backswing with a steady head when in front of a mirror but when out on the course I can't rely on feel.

Obviously the head movement is a major issue but do you have any comments on any other areas of the swing specifically A5, A6 (impact) and A7? To me they look fairly good but I'd like to know what your trained eye sees.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by keeps21

Thanks Mike.

I'm great at making a good, centered backswing with a steady head when in front of a mirror but when out on the course I can't rely on feel.

Obviously the head movement is a major issue but do you have any comments on any other areas of the swing specifically A5, A6 (impact) and A7? To me they look fairly good but I'd like to know what your trained eye sees.

Thanks.

I would agree, looks pretty good right there.  If I was being picky I'd like to see the left foot stop from rolling forward so much.    Keep the entire left foot planted as you use it to push up.  Helps the path not shift across the ball and with the extension pieces.  But the priority is the left shoulder going down longer on the back swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

I would agree, looks pretty good right there.  If I was being picky I'd like to see the left foot stop from rolling forward so much.    Keep the entire left foot planted as you use it to push up.  Helps the path not shift across the ball and with the extension pieces.  But the priority is the left shoulder going down longer on the back swing.

Great, it's good to know I'm doing something right. Will keep working on the shoulder turn.

What would cause the rolling of the front foot, too much hip slide, upper center going to far forward causing poor balance?

What would cause the rolling of the front foot, too much hip slide, upper center going to far forward causing poor balance?

Not really, just awareness of the foot/leg work

Mike McLoughlin

• 6 months later...

Low shots...

No new videos but a new question - the problem existed in the above videos too so they should be useful in diagnosing the problem.

I've pretty much eliminated the fat shots which were the bane of my life. However, I'm wondering if anyone can pinpoint why I hit the ball so low. If I have a green guarded by a front bunker I struggle to get over the bunker without running off the back of the green as my ballflight maxes out around 20ft high.

My divots (or should I call them trenches) tend to be very deep so I guess I'm coming in too steep (and closing the club face down), and not extending (pushing up from the ground) soon enough.

Surprisingly I hit my driver high... the usual miss with a driver however is a topped shot (idiot marks on the crown) due to letting my head go forward and coming in too steep - which presumably would also cause me to come in too steep with the irons too.

Cheers

• Administrator

I've pretty much eliminated the fat shots which were the bane of my life. However, I'm wondering if anyone can pinpoint why I hit the ball so low. If I have a green guarded by a front bunker I struggle to get over the bunker without running off the back of the green as my ballflight maxes out around 20ft high.

My divots (or should I call them trenches) tend to be very deep so I guess I'm coming in too steep (and closing the club face down), and not extending (pushing up from the ground) soon enough.

Surprisingly I hit my driver high... the usual miss with a driver however is a topped shot (idiot marks on the crown) due to letting my head go forward and coming in too steep - which presumably would also cause me to come in too steep with the irons too.

Remaining in flexion, head going forward, steep divots, slower speeds. Probably a combination of all of those things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Remaining in flexion, head going forward, steep divots, slower speeds. Probably a combination of all of those things.

Thanks Erik.

It's good to know I'm diagnosing my issues correctly.

you should make a vid down the line also.

It's not clear to me now but, maybe you can feel it

yourselve on top off the backswing where is your weight?

it should be on the right, it seems you transfer weight to the

left and the end of the backswing.

And what is not clear to see from face forward i think the takeaway

is to far behind you but i cant be sure on this vid.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

you should make a vid down the line also.

It's not clear to me now but, maybe you can feel it

yourselve on top off the backswing where is your weight?

it should be on the right, it seems you transfer weight to the

left and the end of the backswing.

And what is not clear to see from face forward i think the takeaway

is to far behind you but i cant be sure on this vid.

I'm using the S&T; swing model so my weight is slightly left at address, a bit more left at the top and then further left on the downswing.

I do take the club back too far inside, too early - I roll my arms over and get very flat.

• Administrator

I'm using the S&T; swing model so my weight is slightly left at address, a bit more left at the top and then further left on the downswing.

Your pressure is almost certainly right at the top of a centered backswing, and weight (if we could measure it) will be within a range of 55% right or left, but almost never more unless you make a horrible ugly move with the hips or move your head around (which isn't a centered pivot).

More on this coming soon. Don't believe the S&T; numbers.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your pressure is almost certainly right at the top of a centered backswing, and weight (if we could measure it) will be within a range of 55% right or left, but almost never more unless you make a horrible ugly move with the hips or move your head around (which isn't a centered pivot).

More on this coming soon. Don't believe the S&T; numbers.

Thanks Erik. Would you class pressure and weight as the same thing?

• Administrator

Thanks Erik. Would you class pressure and weight as the same thing?

No.

And in looking at your swing your weight is not forward either (which is fine - most people making a centered backswing shift both weight and pressure back, weight just a little though, since again everything is mostly just centered).

No.

And in looking at your swing your weight is not forward either (which is fine - most people making a centered backswing shift both weight and pressure back, weight just a little though, since again everything is mostly just centered).

I guess what I meant is that my weight feels like it's forward, as when compared to my earlier swings it is, although I know that feel isn't real.

I've just done a few practice swings in front of a mirror feeling more pressure in my right foot than normal and it actually seems to help me to keep my head centered as it's less of a strain to make a full turn. I'll have to experiment with that at the range.