IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

Now managed to get a couple of videos tonight.

Front on suggests key #2 is my priority

Down the line would suggest key #1 as my head dips quite a bit. Looks like a push (which is my miss when I don't hit it fat)

Another couple of videos.

Apologies for the length of them (both still under 5 minutes) this is a full half hours practice session - with practice shots removed.

I have however left in some drills to show how I'm practicing (some preset weight forward swings, pumps from the top and some Hogan feeling - there's a gif on an earlier page - and a Mac O'Grady drill too - also on an earlier page and some extended pauses at the top).

I was trying to get better extension (one of my old evolvr pieces) so some swings you'll see me finish and then try to get into the proper position - (i.e. trying not to waste a swing) - but I'm still not getting it right..

I'm hitting very close to the heel (didn't feel any shanks, but that used to be a problem, and not many - if any at all, fat shots - my main miss). Also still hitting way out to the right so I'd imagine these swings would result in some big pushes and push fades due to a pretty open club face, outwards path and gear effect from the heel hits.

My priority for now is I'd like to get rid of the dipping down of my head during the down swing as I think this is probably not helping with fat / thin shots - I don't know where it's come from (possibly from no golf and playing hockey instead over the last year and a half) - but this priority may change as I'm just waiting for Payday before going back to Evolvr! :-)

Just an update - starting Evolvr again tomorrow so wanted some new video to use.

Hitting a lot of shanks / very near shanks in these videos.

Thinking I need more knee bend at address, that way when I regain flexion in the downswing my head won't be going down but staying steady (providing I don't stand up in the backswing).

Just an update - starting Evolvr again tomorrow so wanted some new video to use.

Hitting a lot of shanks / very near shanks in these videos.

Thinking I need more knee bend at address, that way when I regain flexion in the downswing my head won't be going down but staying steady (providing I don't stand up in the backswing).

I know you're sending in a video but as a quick tip to possibly help with the shanks problem, it looks like you're standing very close to it. Almost looks like a stance you would use for a chip. Adding more knee flex will also help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know you're sending in a video but as a quick tip to possibly help with the shanks problem, it looks like you're standing very close to it. Almost looks like a stance you would use for a chip. Adding more knee flex will also help.

Thanks Mike!

I'll record some new swings before submitting to evolvr :)

First analysis back so two things to work on.

1. Need to keep my left arm straight in the back swing as it's beginning to bend pretty much in the takeaway.

2. Lay down the shaft in the down swing as it's a bit steep - a line extending from the butt of the club at A5 is pointing directly at the ball, it should be pointing about 18 inches outside of the ball.

Keeping the left arm straight and squeezing my elbows together should help get more of a pitch elbow which I believe will help flatten out the shaft on the down swing.

I'm more 'punch elbow' in the swings above.

This is taken from the pitch elbow thread , I'm like the left and need to get more like the right.

So I thought I'd do a sequence of images comparing myself to Mike Bennett - this has been helpful as I now know why Stephan is wanting me to lay down the shaft more between a4 and a5 - I get steeper than MB who matches the plane (at A3) of his club shaft that he sets at A1.

A8 and A9 are approximate - here they show where the club face enters and leaves the body.

Just a note, I compared my swing to another person on a different golf forum and got told not to. "Slippery road I am going down and all that." I called that BS and I'm happy to see someone else doing the same. I, personally, learn a lot comparing swings. I recently went through a swing transformation and took many of the same pictures you did to compare. Lastly, and staying on topic, nice swing overall IMO. It looks like you are close to hitting all the same marks in the sequences and I suspect you have a bit inconsistency at times when you get steeper. I suspect your body has to work harder to get the club face back to square at impact. Should be a simple fix of teaching your body the correct position at the top. The rest looks really good.

Just a note, I compared my swing to another person on a different golf forum and got told not to. "Slippery road I am going down and all that." I called that BS and I'm happy to see someone else doing the same.

I, personally, learn a lot comparing swings. I recently went through a swing transformation and took many of the same pictures you did to compare.

Lastly, and staying on topic, nice swing overall IMO. It looks like you are close to hitting all the same marks in the sequences and I suspect you have a bit inconsistency at times when you get steeper. I suspect your body has to work harder to get the club face back to square at impact. Should be a simple fix of teaching your body the correct position at the top. The rest looks really good.

:) That just doesn't make sense to me. Surely hitting the same positions as someone with a good swing is going to result in a good swing...

Thanks very much! My main problems are fat/thins and pushes, looks like the pushes are coming from my right arm getting a bit stuck. I think I need to create more room on down swing for my arms (by getting my arms down faster) and the right elbow pointing at right hip, rather than being next to the hip as this makes the swing arc wider than it needs to be, moving the bottom of the arc backwards.

Also think I, not so much overswing, but try to force A4 to be a little bit longer, if I hold shorter then I tend to hit the ball much better (and straighter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerdahl View Post

Just a note, I compared my swing to another person on a different golf forum and got told not to. "Slippery road I am going down and all that." I called that BS and I'm happy to see someone else doing the same.

I, personally, learn a lot comparing swings. I recently went through a swing transformation and took many of the same pictures you did to compare.

Lastly, and staying on topic, nice swing overall IMO. It looks like you are close to hitting all the same marks in the sequences and I suspect you have a bit inconsistency at times when you get steeper. I suspect your body has to work harder to get the club face back to square at impact. Should be a simple fix of teaching your body the correct position at the top. The rest looks really good.

:) That just doesn't make sense to me. Surely hitting the same positions as someone with a good swing is going to result in a good swing...

Thanks very much! My main problems are fat/thins and pushes, looks like the pushes are coming from my right arm getting a bit stuck. I think I need to create more room on down swing for my arms (by  getting my arms down faster) and the right elbow pointing at right hip, rather than being next to the hip as this makes the swing arc wider than it needs to be, moving the bottom of the arc backwards.

I don't know about getting your arms down faster. I think moving your hands away from your head on top will create a better arc and take care of the problem. My two cents would be to just focus on matching the hand position at the top and the rest will take care of itself. :)

I don't know about getting your arms down faster. I think moving your hands away from your head on top will create a better arc and take care of the problem. My two cents would be to just focus on matching the hand position at the top and the rest will take care of itself. :)

Thanks, will have a play and see what happens :)

• Administrator

It's going to sound like I'm arguing both for and against doing this… because I am, but here goes:

• You aren't the other person. You're built differently, have different mechanics, different body types, different backgrounds, different goals, clubhead speeds, etc. Comparing yourself to someone else is a fool's errand in total because the total package is very, very, VERY different.
  • You can use the other person to illustrate a small piece of the swing. This is very different than caring about the entirety. You can even use multiple players to illustrate the piece done slightly different ways (for example, PGA Tour players extend the trail knee on the backswing - they almost all do it, but to varying degrees).

Comparing your swing to a PGA Tour player, etc. is fine so long as you're limiting it to a specific piece, your priority piece at that, when you do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's going to sound like I'm arguing both for and against doing this… because I am, but here goes:

You aren't the other person. You're built differently, have different mechanics, different body types, different backgrounds, different goals, clubhead speeds, etc. Comparing yourself to someone else is a fool's errand in total because the total package is very, very, VERY different.

You can use the other person to illustrate a small piece of the swing. This is very different than caring about the entirety. You can even use multiple players to illustrate the piece done slightly different ways (for example, PGA Tour players extend the trail knee on the backswing - they almost all do it, but to varying degrees).

Comparing your swing to a PGA Tour player, etc. is fine so long as you're limiting it to a specific piece, your priority piece at that, when you do.

Thanks for the comments Erik, much appreciated. :-)

I must remember to focus on my 'priority piece only' and not get too ahead of myself!

A thought about my priority piece... Which is to lay the shaft down more between a4 and a5.

Rather than laying the shaft down more on the downswing, the same thing could be achieved by just being flatter on the backswing couldn't it - providing the downswing doesn't get steeper?

I find it easier to change the picture going back than I do going down as things happen more slowly in the backswing.

And related to this, at A5 a line extended from the butt of the club should be pointing outside of the ball about 18 inches.

No doubt I'm reading into things too much and may be better off not looking at other swings but when looking at @ skgolf and @ iacas swings you both have the butt of the club pointing at the ball and @mvmac and Mike Bennett (in the images above) are pointing just outside of the ball - but none are anywhere near 18 inches. Just getting a little confused (again probably better off just doing what I'm told rather than looking at other people).

• Administrator

Rather than laying the shaft down more on the downswing, the same thing could be achieved by just being flatter on the backswing couldn't it - providing the downswing doesn't get steeper?

Yeah… good luck with that one. It's not impossible, it's just really unlikely.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets