IGNORED

What's the most overrated accomplishment in sports?

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's the most overrated accomplishment in sports?

• Basketball - double double
    • Baseball - pitching a no hitter with several walks
    • Hockey - Gordie Howe hat trick
    • Hockey - regular hat trick
    • Golf - Hole in one
    • Running - finishing a marathon
    • Being there for a big event (stands or gallery) - "I was there when . . . "
    • Bowling - throwing a 300 game (is that an actual bowling thing?)
    • Other

I would say out of all the options, a Gordie Howe hat trick would be the most overrated.

It requires that you score a goal, record an assist, and fight a guy. I suppose it's kind of rare, because normally the types of players that would get a goal and an assist in one game are also the types who don't fight.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finishing a marathon.  While an impressive physical feat and display of substantial endurance, it's something that can easily be accomplished by adhering to a training regimen.  The other options require various arrangements of athleticism, dexterity, speed, strength and luck, among other things.  I give preference to those acts that require multiple proficiencies rather than just physical stamina and a strong mental game.

• 1 month later...

Just finishing a marathon doesn't get it a very high rating.

So how can it be overrated?

But then again if you're twice as old as the next competitor to finish then the young guy is overrated but not the old guy.

For me a marathon would be an age thing.   Same as golf.  You can't compare the senior tour to the regular tour.

Note: This thread is 4631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!