IGNORED

How conscious are you of you ball position?

Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I try to keep my ball position consistent, I'm not terribly mindful of it during a round.  How much do you pay attention to your ball position when you play?  Is is a conscious effort or more intuition than anything?  I'm wondering if this has something to do with my shot-shaping inconsistency...

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Not enough perhaps, it sometimes gets a bit too far forward. It's good with the wedges, but a bit far forward sometimes with the long irons. Harder to get it right since I flare open my feet.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never paid much attention to it, until my last 2 rounds and it really screwed me up.

I've been working on ball striking--trying to look 2 inches in front of the ball.  I think I only had 1 fat shot the last round, which was a big improvement. I was really shocked at how easily and drastically my contact improved.

Anyway, I noticed that my ball position was probably more forward of center for all my clubs, including wedges.  I got into my head that this is incorrect, and that the ball should be closer to center, particular since i was focusing on making my swing bottom out past the ball.  Moving it back had to help, right?  So I moved it back towards center and started hitting bad slices.  I went from dead straight or slight fade to big, almost uncontrollable slices with irons--something i've never dealt with in the past.  Of course it takes me 10 holes to figure that out and even then I forget sometimes.

I guess it makes sense, my arms were not fully rotating or for whatever reason with the ball in the center i'm not getting my clubface square.

I'm going back to not thinking.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I try to keep it in consciousness, but am not consistent with it for a host of reasons.

The below Ben Hogan picture seems to help me, at least for a while.

Originally Posted by NI4NI

I try to keep it in consciousness, but am not consistent with it for a host of reasons.

The below Ben Hogan picture seems to help me, at least for a while.

I'm slow...how on earth do you read/interpret that figure?

Originally Posted by Hacker-G

I'm slow...how on earth do you read/interpret that figure?

Really?  Ok.  You place your feet as illustrated in the picture.  The left foot stays in the same position for all clubs; right foot is adjusted as shown for the various clubs (ex: feet are shoulder width for long irons).  Driver feet positon shown in dark shade.

I use Hogan's ball set up, aside for driver, where I put the ball more forward.

But I don't open or close my stance unless I want to hit a certain shot like Fade or Draw.

So I guess we all have to find what works for us and we use things like the above diagram as a guide.

Anyone agree with me?

How consistent would you say your position is from shot to shot?  It wouldn't surprise me if I accidentally waiver-ed by as much as a ball or so in any direction...

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Woods and driver just inside the left instep.

Full-shot 7i - Wedges.... middle of stance.

6i-3i ... half inch progressively in front of middle as shafts get longer.

chips and partial wedges... a couple of variations depending on shots.

The positioning is pretty automatic. I use sticks and stripes on occasion for swing drills, so I can tell if I'm close or not during play.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by NI4NI

Really?  Ok.  You place your feet as illustrated in the picture.  The left foot stays in the same position for all clubs; right foot is adjusted as shown for the various clubs (ex: feet are shoulder width for long irons).  Driver feet positon shown in dark shade.

Interesting. I've always read that the ball moves forward in your stance as the clubs get longer. This diagram suggests the ball stays in the same place, just widen your stance?

Also, is opening your stance (ie. bringing the right foot up) a "traditional/conventional" method as your clubs get shorter

Ball position is VERY, VERY, VERY important.  Its almost impossible to have consistent ballstriking if you arent constantly paying attention to ball position.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think the better you get the more awareness you have and the more meticulous you are with ball position. I would say that I am aware of my ball position within a 1/2 ball for every shot. I would also say that awareness of the orientation of the back of your left hand, especially at impact, goes hand in hand with awareness of ball position.

Originally Posted by Hacker-G

Interesting. I've always read that the ball moves forward in your stance as the clubs get longer. This diagram suggests the ball stays in the same place, just widen your stance?

Also, is opening your stance (ie. bringing the right foot up) a "traditional/conventional" method as your clubs get shorter

Again, this is based on my experience, but I find that the Hogan ball position method helps me to consistently locate the bottom of my swing arc.  If I adjust my position (deviate from the above picture), then my arc changes relative to the ball, wreaking all sorts of havoc.  For me, it's about consistency and repeatability (neither is very strong).

How consistent would you say your position is from shot to shot?  It wouldn't surprise me if I accidentally waiver-ed by as much as a ball or so in any direction...

I try to be very precise with my ball position and my sternum. And because of it it makes it easier for me to figure out my swing when something goes wrong or when I'm striking it consistently.

I always pay attention to were the ball is in my stance. The type of shot and club determine where.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Here is a graphic of my ball position with the different irons. The driver depends what kind of shot I'm hitting. Inside left heel or farther forward for a fade, a bit more back for a draw.

feb281a0_ball_position.png

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It's not a big difference on the irons, but it gets wider from wedge to the longest clubs. I should update the graphic with all clubs and stance width one day.

Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!