IGNORED

Anyone use discount tee-time sites like GolfNow.com?

noahl
Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a golf writer doing a story on sites like this, and this is my very unscientific survey right here.

Do you guys shop online for discount tee times?

What sites do you use/like?

Do they work well for you?

How could they be better?

Any other insights?

Thanks, everyone. I'm not looking to quote anyone, just trying to get a sense of what the "marketplace" is thinking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use GolfNow sometimes to get on some of my local courses for $20-30. I think the $50-60 per round through the golf shops is excesssive for weekdays. Hell, the course I worked at in '03 wants $85 for a weekday morning. No thanks...

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

I'm a golf writer doing a story on sites like this, and this is my very unscientific survey right here.

Any other insights?

Thanks, everyone. I'm not looking to quote anyone, just trying to get a sense of what the "marketplace" is thinking.

Well, I play city courses, so I can't imagine getting a time through these sites. I just don't think it would be possible. But I use it when I'm going on vacation (my summers in Palm Springs are, in part, thanks to sites like GolfNow). I also use them when visiting friends in Orange County, where we can frequently save some good money by use of these. I'd love it if these sites, when selling a time at a course that permits walking, would have walking options. Sometimes I hesitate (or avoid) a tee time at a particular course (RiverView in O.C., for example) because I know I can walk the course, and I don't want to get there and have to bother with a motor cart.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also use GolfNow frequently for when I play something other than my home course (Maderas) or Torrey.    I find it works generally works quite well - the user interface is easy to use and navigate, and I'm also now using the iPhone app version as well.      I would say that I use the site not so much for discount tee times but more for one stop shopping to check a bunch of different courses; it's far easier than checking every courses' website or calling around.

My suggestions for it to be better are largely just to have a larger number of courses tied into the site, although I have to admit they do have pretty good coverage in SoCal.

I'd also like to see them offer some "killer deals" with courses every once in awhile, and think this would help them drive traffic to their sites.    In general it seems like GolfNow has some pretty predictable pricing with the local courses, but I'd be enthused and browse their times more if they'd toss in a gem every once in awhile - an example would be 80% off for one particular foursome time (e.g. 9:48am) on a premium course once a month.     I know my odds of snagging that time would be low, but it would make me more prone to prowl around on their site more.

I've used GolfNow.com and Golfzing.com (I'm in Southern CA) and I've had some good experiences. Look around online for discount codes that you can use to give you more reward points.

While these websites are useful, be sure to still call in and ask about the times and rates. I almost booked a $60 tee time for two when they were running a special for $15/each. Only way I caught it was by calling in to see if there were any earlier unlisted tee times.

Happy hunting.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I use golfnow.com if it's nice out on my days off twice a week. I save sooo much money from booking it online through them. Yesterday played a course if i would have just gone in it would have been 35 with cart. I booked online for 18. Monday played another course green fee's were 35 with cart at course, golfnow.com 14. I am fortunate enough to live in cincinnati an where we have atleast 20 courses that are on golfnow.com. Ive really never had any problems with them. The rewards points is pretty awesome. Ive had one or two issues to where i had to call into customer service an the experience was great. Really no complaints.

@noahl, I used to use a few discount sites until I realized, like @anotherday, that only a portion of the tee times are made available to the brokers for resale—for GolfNow that's Golf Channel Solutions , while GolfSwitch backs GolfHub (each also sells through many affiliate sites.) Since that portion is sometimes only what the course thinks it can't sell normally, e.g., by phone or through their own online booking site, I find I really have to talk to them to find the best fit for time (and at I've never had a problem getting, at the very least, the same deal as shown online when the time is the same.) It's definitely a problem still looking for a great solution. I think that great solution will have to combine complete tee time inventory with planning and social tools that increase the connection between players and all courses—not just the 15% or so that have signed up with a middleman that further disconnects player and course.

If I may make a self-serving suggestion, how about also looking into the startups just now coming out with round planning web sites and apps that also help, from a different angle, people get the best tee time for their round. For example, Teeboxer (full disclosure, that's my creation), ClubDivot , TeeTimeBuddy , and FullFoursome . And, there's another site you might look at that's doing interesting things by opening private club tee times to non-members: Boxgroove .

Regardless of whether that's too far off track for your story, feel free to get in touch if you want more background info (not that I'm a font of it, but always glad to help where I can.)

Get Your Game Together with Teeboxer

How could Teeboxer make your golf day better: Sand Trap Thread

Sometimes livingsocial and groupon would have %50 discount on non-muni courses, but you need to check the fine print, some would not allow weekends/holidays others have no exclusion just need to book the tee time in advance.

taylormade.gif R9 460 10.5* Reg taylormade.gif 3W Burner & 4H Burner taylormade.gif 4-P 360 vokey.gif56*, 60*  taylormade.gif Kia Ma Monte Carlo TP

Between GolfNow and this new site IdealGolfer.com, that's how I get the majority of my rounds that aren't on my home course.  Only thing with the coupon sites is that the nicer layouts tend not to allow for weekend play (at least in North Texas)

Do you guys shop online for discount tee times? No. The courses around my area range from 20-40, I'm fine with that price.

What sites do you use/like? n/a

Do they work well for you? n/a

How could they be better? n/a

Any other insights? If they maybe offered a "rewards program" for X amount of rounds you get a free round - I would definitely sign up

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I occasionally use a site called ezlinks.com.   They dont really have very many courses in my immediate area but I have a playing partner that lives about an hour or so south of me and there are a few courses close to him that are listed.   The only catch is there are only a few tee times a day and you have to reserve at least the day before.  You set up your account(name, email and password, they dont ask for any more personal info than that and membership is free) and pay online and print out your confirmation email you receive and bring it to the course with you as your proof of purchase.  The discounts are quite good, about 40% off normal price on average.  For example, we played last Saturday at Franklin County Country Club in West Frankfort, IL.   Normal cost for 18 with cart is $45, ezlinks price, $24.75 or about the cost to play 9 there.   There are more courses in Central and Northern IL and its nationwide as well so there should be courses listed for every state and I think maybe even internationally.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

i live in the denver area and use golfnow and golfhub all the time. i try to avoid weekends and have found some great deals for weekday golf. courses like omni for $40 including cart saves about $80. easy to use and allows me to play many courses and some of the more upscale courses and still live in a budget. i get emails daily from both sites with the daily deals.

My friend and I used golfnow.com all last year. We saved a lot of money and never had one issue using the service. We'll most likely use it as much as we can this coming year.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I booked a round with Golf18network about a year ago. I showed up at the course to play, and they knew nothing about my tee time reservation, the price, etc.

It worked out okay because they weren't busy, and they actually gave me a better price than the online price. But it has definitely made me hesitant to ever book online again.

With other online services, if you do book online, do you have to call the course to doublecheck before you go to make sure they know about it?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

I booked a round with Golf18network about a year ago. I showed up at the course to play, and they knew nothing about my tee time reservation, the price, etc.

It worked out okay because they weren't busy, and they actually gave me a better price than the online price. But it has definitely made me hesitant to ever book online again.

With other online services, if you do book online, do you have to call the course to doublecheck before you go to make sure they know about it?

with ezlinks.com at least so far at the courses ive played at, they knew about my tee time prior to me going there.   Though one time the course was having a huge scramble that day, luckily our tee time was for 1 pm so it was almost over by then and we still got to play.   You do need to check to see if they have a tournament or scramble going on that day,   you might get there and not be able to play.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

• 1 year later...

I have been continually impressed with the rates I am able to get on golfnow.com sometimes.  They have certain tee times on the weekend (usually one per day and its usually a pretty decent time) that are heavily discounted.  I just got a tee time for this weekend at Twisted Dunes in NJ for $52 each player instead of $80 and I play a course near me all the time for $30 instead of the usually $50.

Pretty sweet site worth checking out!

Originally Posted by noahl

Any other insights?

I do use them, Golfnow and Golf18, I've never had any trouble with them.

I think the sites could be better once they get cellphone apps set up and running.

They'd be better if they included rates for tee times for walkers.

Currently I think all these rates are with carts.

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!