IGNORED

My (free) Advice to Tiger

GolfBookie
Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

I realize that. It's just that in my 24 years of playing this game at a fairly high level, I've yet to run into someone who knows what to do in the swing yet can't reproduce it in their own swing. That's just my experience though. Maybe that's way off base.

That's my experience as well.  Guys who really know what to do, know which muscles to use, what it feels like, and have worked their bodies in the process of coming to that understanding.  So they can just flat out do, or used to be able to do what they are talking about....obvious exception for injury or old age.  On the other hand, the converse definitely isn't always true.  I've met a ton of guys who could hit a golf ball and had no clue how to explain what they are doing or why.  Either that or they were just holding out.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I have the curious suspcion the OP is sitting somewhere at that table...

Was that Bones who suggested that when he wants to break something, he should break par?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing that strikes me as odd about Tiger's approach....  I know he is driven by the breaking Jack's record thing and all.  A huge part of his success in the past, besides being ridiculously good, which I think he still is, was the fear penalty that other players suffered any time he was in the field.  He's completely lost that edge now, so people play a stroke or so better than they used.  It seems like he should throw a few John Deere classics in the mix just to get some wins under his belt and get people in the field thinking about what he's doing now.  Try to get healthy and get some wins under the belt in less prestigious events.  I've always thought he might be scared to take that approach because what if he doesn't win?  Then he'd just be like another run-o-the-mill tour pro.....

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Shindig

Was that Bones who suggested that when he wants to break something, he should break par?

Yes.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

It seems like he should throw a few John Deere classics in the mix just to get some wins under his belt and get people in the field thinking about what he's doing now.  Try to get healthy and get some wins under the belt in less prestigious events.  I've always thought he might be scared to take that approach because what if he doesn't win?

Tiger doesn't like the birdie festivals. Anyone can win those things. He prefers events where par is still a good score. That's why he tends to play better in the "tougher" events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Tiger doesn't like the birdie festivals. Anyone can win those things. He prefers events where par is still a good score. That's why he tends to play better in the "tougher" events.

I guess that makes sense.  You can't fault the guy for playing to his own strengths.  I definitely wouldn't argue that as a long-term strategy for him, just trying to figure out how he can get his psychological advantage on the field back....  I suppose winning lots of majors would do it too

[ Equipment ]

Honestly, Tiger wouldn't just walk out there and win a 'birdie' fest. There's a lot of tough competitions that are being hotly contested at the moment and I really don't believe Tiger would be winning them all if he cared to show up.

I honestly think Tiger needs to remember why he started playing this game. he needs to get the love back. Just bask in how privileged he is, the talent he's been given and get the fun back. Cos at the moment there's this huge monkey on his back saying win win win win win and he's totally forgetting about everything else.

Obviously winning is the ultimate aim, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all. He's achieved incredible things through golf. Get the love back and the wins will come again.

I disagree, I don't think Tigers played golf for the love or fun of it since his college days or maybe even before that.  The guy that dominated the tour was obsessed with winning.  He might have looked like he was having more fun when he was winning, but the fun for him came from winning, which is likely why it doesn't look like he's having much fun now.

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

I honestly think Tiger needs to remember why he started playing this game. he needs to get the love back. Just bask in how privileged he is, the talent he's been given and get the fun back. Cos at the moment there's this huge monkey on his back saying win win win win win and he's totally forgetting about everything else.

Obviously winning is the ultimate aim, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all. He's achieved incredible things through golf. Get the love back and the wins will come again.

Joe Paradiso

I hear you. And I agree to an extent. He has always said he'll stop playing when his best isn't good enough to win any more. Whereas for others, I think there's plenty reasons to play this amazing game. If he hasn't ever found the 'love' of the game or the 'fun' of it, maybe now would be a good time to start :)

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!