IGNORED

Phil cracks his 3W

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 4718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by B of H

I cracked them in the center of the face, right in the wear mark/impact area pattern.  The x-tour's crack was just above center of the face and was between two grooves.  You think phil is mis-hitting his woods and that is why he cracks them?  ;)  I don't mis-hit the ball very often, especially back in hs/college.

The x-tour is the only one that cracked in a relatively short period of time with limited use.  I'd had it for a few months and had probably hit less than 1000 range balls with it.

edit: the other ones I cracked that I remember were a 975D titleist and a taylor made system 2 (3wood), both of those had been used almost daily for over a year.

I don't doubt you but I still contend it's a workmanship issue, not a material one. Even for Phil.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

I don't doubt you but I still contend it's a workmanship issue, not a material one. Even for Phil.

I'm not sure what you mean but I do know that it happens and seems to be just random.  I'm sure most players on tour or even in college have cracked the face of a wood in their lifetime.  the more you play and the harder you hit it the better chance you'll crack one...at least that is my experience.  I bet tiger has cracked dozens, literally.

if I had to guess I'd bet that there are little imperfections in the material that give over time but that is just a wild stab at it.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Originally Posted by B of H

I'm not sure what you mean but I do know that it happens and seems to be just random.  I'm sure most players on tour or even in college have cracked the face of a wood in their lifetime.  the more you play and the harder you hit it the better chance you'll crack one...at least that is my experience.  I bet tiger has cracked dozens, literally.

if I had to guess I'd bet that there are little imperfections in the material that give over time but that is just a wild stab at it.

That's what I was saying. There has to be a defect of some sort whether it be the construction, design, or materials that are failing. 120 mph or under swing speed should not create damage latent or otherwise to the face of a modern driver and the design should hold the head intact. Obviously greater swing speeds create greater force but all things considered the forces exerted at impact are not greater that the strength of the material being used.

I wasn't taking a shot (pardon the pun) at you. Just making the point that motal man cannot simply break through a titanium face without some other root cause. If I caved in a driver I would be making that point with the OEM. Im sure it happens on Tour often enough but obviously the arrangement between the players and the OEM's is a wee bit different that what you and I have with them.

Originally Posted by saevel25

My swing is above 110, i never cracked an driver or 3-wood before.

Double ditto.

It was probably just a fluke. I'm sure he goes through plenty of woods, he's bound to get one that breaks every now and then.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny thing, mine have all cracked rite in the middle of the sweet spot, just a small hairline fracture, the Taylors broke verticly, the Callaways broke horizontially between the grooves, the FT Tour came apart at the epoxy joint where the metal meets the carbon body.  My swing speed is 100-110, but they still break, I am surprised more guys don't break them, did play with one young guy a couple of weeks ago and he said his Nike driver cracked in the compression chamber, and Nike warrantied it for him

Originally Posted by ERdiesel

Wait, let me guess, you're one of them "guys" that consistently drives the ball over 300 yards right?  :)

But in all seriousness, when you break a driver, what happens?  Does the head fly off endangering those around you or is it just a crack that develops but no separation of parts?  Just curious since it has never happened to me and i haven't seen it either ever on the course or the range.

I broke a driver once at the range, the head flew straight out, probably went 30-35 yards.  It probably already had a small crack and it finally gave way and snapped.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Originally Posted by Steel

Funny thing, mine have all cracked rite in the middle of the sweet spot, just a small hairline fracture, the Taylors broke verticly, the Callaways broke horizontially between the grooves, the FT Tour came apart at the epoxy joint where the metal meets the carbon body.  My swing speed is 100-110, but they still break, I am surprised more guys don't break them, did play with one young guy a couple of weeks ago and he said his Nike driver cracked in the compression chamber, and Nike warrantied it for him

Based on this thread I'm surprised too. I used to mash the face in on wooden woods when I'd hit an entire range bucket full of drivers. You sort of had to hit that many balls to stay reasonably sharp when hitting a small headed wooden driver that had the wrong shaft for your swing. It was like trying to ride a unicycle when you were still learning to ride a two-wheeler.

Nowadays, with driver head, shaft, and even golf ball fittings (plus the gigantic heads on drivers), I'm surprised anyone hits more than a handfull of drivers at any range session. Is if for the excercise?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Based on this thread I'm surprised too. I used to mash the face in on wooden woods when I'd hit an entire range bucket full of drivers. You sort of had to hit that many balls to stay reasonably sharp when hitting a small headed wooden driver that had the wrong shaft for your swing. It was like trying to ride a unicycle when you were still learning to ride a two-wheeler.

Nowadays, with driver head, shaft, and even golf ball fittings (plus the gigantic heads on drivers), I'm surprised anyone hits more than a handfull of drivers at any range session. Is if for the excercise?

it depends on what i'm working on but i'd say less than 10% of the balls I hit are drivers.  If i'm playing a course where I need a handful of different flights (low draw..fade etc...) with the driver then i might go pretty heavy on it the day before like say 30 balls out of 200+.  That being said I don't think it's just range balls because I know that phil never hits anything but his callaways with his clubs and they break etc...   Play 200 rounds this year and hit 100 range balls a week with the same driver and I would say you have a 20% chance that it cracks (just a guess).

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Note: This thread is 4718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!