Sign in to follow this  
britzie

Ian Poulter - Right or Wrong?

Note: This thread is 3176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 posts / 2301 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Ah, Poults. Always good for some drama.

This is surely one of the situations, that should only be regulated among the players.

No harm, no foul, and I applaud Poulter for the entertainment.

Why 'must it be wrong'?

Did Johnny Miller tell you that?

I don't understand why this has become a story other than it being amusing.

The only issue I can see in this is how it affects the other player in Poulter's group and the group ahead when he is running around like that. I didn't catch if everyone else in his group had to run around as well. For Phil's group I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if they have to wait a minute or two for them to tee off, but the other guy might feel a bit pressured to rush things when Poulter is running around. I don't know who that was or if they discussed this before Poulter started running.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My understanding is that Phil's group was cool with it as was Dustin. Apparently Phil told Poulter to "give them a shout" if they wanted to tee off, it was all in order to avoid a brutal tee time the next morning. I'm sure Dustin was happy to let Poulter do the running so he could just play golf. Have to wonder if Poulter would have made that putt if he hadn't ran full tilt to the green?

He was 10 shots off the lead, so I'm sure he didn't worry too much about his game at that point.

Not a Poulter fan but I don't have a problem with this at all and in fact think it was good thinking by Poulter and very kind of Phil and DJ to let him hit.

Rory Sabbatini is cool with it.

Originally Posted by britzie

Speed Golf - surely what Ian Poulter did on 17 & 18 (especially 18) must be wrong?

Originally Posted by iacas

Not a Poulter fan but I don't have a problem with this at all and in fact think it was good thinking by Poulter and very kind of Phil and DJ to let him hit.

^^^^^ This.

Having read your replies looks like I am in a minority!

With hindsight, Phil was happy for him to tee off at 18 – so no damage done.

Just looked a bit strange to me the first time I saw it…

Didn't Poults, or someone else, do this a couple months ago too?  I seem to remember someone doing this too in an effort to finish out their round before the inevitable horn blow for an approaching storm or something like that.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Didn't Poults, or someone else, do this a couple months ago too?  I seem to remember someone doing this too in an effort to finish out their round before the inevitable horn blow for an approaching storm or something like that.

Rory Sabbatini did it earlier this season.

I think Ian doing this was no problem whatsoever and I'm sure his playing partners at the time all voted YES for him to do it.  I would've!

He's not stupid. Other than his Twitter barbs and this stunt, why would anyone be talking about him at all this week?

Originally Posted by Zeph

The only issue I can see in this is how it affects the other player in Poulter's group and the group ahead when he is running around like that. I didn't catch if everyone else in his group had to run around as well. For Phil's group I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if they have to wait a minute or two for them to tee off, but the other guy might feel a bit pressured to rush things when Poulter is running around. I don't know who that was or if they discussed this before Poulter started running.

Actually, the funniest part about the whole ordeal was how Poulter did all of this work while DJ (his playing partner) just relaxed and played golf.  DJ ended up taking his time (as much time as he needed, since Poulter was running around like a madman) and sinking his birdie putt.  Then, as long as Poulter had already teed off on the next hole, DJ didn't have to rush: as long as one player in the group has teed off, the entire group is allowed to tee off and finish the hole.

In the end, it didn't really matter.  Phil didn't finish 18, and there wasn't enough light for them to do so.  But it was fun to watch.

Brandon

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

I missed all the action. what happened guys?

Basically, Poulter teed off on 17, did about a three-quarter sprint up to the green so that he could putt out while Dustin Johnson took his time strolling up to the green.  Then after Poulter putt out and while DJ was still sizing up his putt, Ian rushed to the 18th tee box where Phil & playing partner had JUST teed off and held them up so that he (Poulter) could tee off on 18.  The rules state that if one member of the group has teed off on a hole, they can elect to finish the hole.

Brandon

Note: This thread is 3176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!