IGNORED

Why are Pete Dye courses so popular

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ThominOH

Very well put uttexas..

I've just always viewed golf courses the same as sculpture..  You don't put together a Venus de Milo, it was already there, all the artist did was remove the excess..  Same with golf.. You don't ADD to the land to create something that wasn't naturally there, you just chip away unneeded extras.. It's probably why I love natural links type courses, like St. Andrews and most of Augusta National..

It isn't always possible to just cut the course from the land.  The land offered for golf courses isn't always the best piece available.  Often as not it's the chunk left over after they planned the residential layout, and the designer is stuck with it.  We have a Dye Designs course in the northern Metro area here called Riverdale Dunes.  It was built on what was formerly an onion field, and the total elevation change from highest point to lowest was just 14 inches.  They had no choice but to move a lot of earth to create anything remotely like a real golf course.  What they came up with has made the GD top 100 several times.

It is a very playable course, while still being very challenging too.  It also happens to be a municipal course.  It has the ties, it has water, it has nasty bunkers of a typical Dye course, but it's still fun to play if you make the effort to think your way around the course.  If you just try to blast every tee shot you probably won't have a lot of fun there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It isn't always possible to just cut the course from the land.  The land offered for golf courses isn't always the best piece available.  Often as not it's the chunk left over after they planned the residential layout, and the designer is stuck with it.  We have a Dye Designs course in the northern Metro area here called Riverdale Dunes.  It was built on what was formerly an onion field, and the total elevation change from highest point to lowest was just 14 inches.  They had no choice but to move a lot of earth to create anything remotely like a real golf course.  What they came up with has made the GD top 100 several times.

It is a very playable course, while still being very challenging too.  It also happens to be a municipal course.  It has the ties, it has water, it has nasty bunkers of a typical Dye course, but it's still fun to play if you make the effort to think your way around the course.  If you just try to blast every tee shot you probably won't have a lot of fun there.

Great points.  Riverdale Dunes looks fantastic. If ever in area gotta look it up.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I like a course where you can't hit a driver 275-300 yards every hole. I play with a lot of 20 and 30 yr old golfers, that have know idea what course management is. I'm not say all younger golfers, just many that don't understand anything more than bomb and gouge.

Only one Pete Dye course within a close drive of me, Ruffled Feathers.Didn't care for it as green fees go for around $90-100

and it's not worth the money. It is not kept in a condition that is worth that price, and there are houses on the course.  I don't want to be playing my 2nd shot out of someone's back yard.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!