IGNORED

Golf Balls - Who's telling the truth?

Note: This thread is 6306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently using Titleist DT So/Lo golf balls because the price is right and it has "long" in the name. When you look at the packaging or advertisements every golf ball is the longest ball ever made and every one of them guarantees enough control to get a hole in 1 every time. It's like basing your dinner plans on who was voted the #1 buffet in Las Vegas.

Who's telling the truth?

they all are telling the truth.. what they didnt mention is that your hcp needs to be scratch..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

. . . When you look at the packaging or advertisements every golf ball is the longest ball ever made and every one of them guarantees enough control to get a hole in 1 every time. . .

Oh, really? I can't seem to find

any of those claims on any of the golf ball sleeves in my inventory.

Oh, really? I can't seem to find

Me neither...

Occasionally I check out a forum/message board that Callaway runs... and some of their employees post information on there re: their equipment to further help explain things. One thing that I've realized is that different ball construction for different swing speeds can mean a ball that goes the longest for a high swing speed player, my not go as long as a differently constructed ball would for a slower swing speed player. For instance, here's how Callaway describes how theirs break down by player type: HX Tour The Most Complete Ball You Can Play. Engineered for aggressive swing speeds and golfers who need a ball with less spin off the driver and plenty of bite on the green. HX Tour 56 Tour-level Spin to Complete Your Game. Engineered for mid-range to aggressive swing speeds and golfers who want a softer ball with even more bite on the green. HX Hot Blazing Speed to Maximize Your Distance. Designed for average to aggressive swing speeds and golfers who enjoy being the longest drivers in their group. HX Pearl Speed and Style for a Woman's Game. Designed for lower to average swing speeds. Big Bertha Major Distance. Soft Feel. Built for average swing speeds. Warbird This Bird Will Fly. Built for average to aggressive swing speeds.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

Q3 - I was exaggerating. I'm sorry if you spent time searching your inventory for a matching quote.

pmcarync - Thank you for your help. I have an aggressive swing to make up the distance I lose on off-center hits. Based on what you listed the HX Tour sounds like the best ball for me. I will try that.

BB69 - I know that a lot of people play the Pro V1, including a lot of tour players. To me that means it must be a quality ball, but I'm pretty sure the way it responds to my swing is different than the tour players that use it.

The Pro V1 and HX Tour are both on my list of golf balls to try in the near future. I hope the result is worth paying more than double my usual $19.99 for a dozen DT So/Lo balls.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

They all tell the truth but you have to find and read what truth there telling you, it may be the longest ball with a 5 iron and rated fourth with a driver on their testing grounds. It may have more spin potential at a higher swing speed than other balls in the type of balls compared against in their tests.
You need to get different types of balls and try them to find what works for you. If your only looking in a certain price range try different balls in that price range and play them to pick out what works and makes you happy. You have many choices out their so get a few and find out.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Thank you. I am in a price range only because it will get expensive really fast to test every $4 ball on the market. If I find that the Pro V1 is the best ball for me I will have no problem spending the money on them.

I have used a Noodle before and it seems to be the longest ball I have ever hit. It is possible that I was swinging better the days I used those, but who knows.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

My normal ball is the prov1, I do like the nike PD green and maxfli red. My normal group when we have a little $$ on the line I will use the pro v1. I think the PD green plays almost the same as the Pro v1. Finding balls on the course will also give you the chance to try other balls without buying a new sleeve if you find one that feels good than you can buy a new sleeve and check them out. the top flite 3000 series is a good ball and less expensive.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons

Why not use different balls for different holes?

If it is a tight driving hole with lots of trouble and you have to squeeze it in there . . . use a ball designed for less spin to mimimize your fade or draw, and on a par 3 where you need work the ball in to a tight pin location use a high spin ball.

For example I carry the Bridgestone E5 and E6 for this purpose, much different dimple patterns, much different spin rates.

I did a test on balls recently, bought a sleeve of all the top balls and found that they all went the same distance off the driver: ProV1, ProV1x, HXTour, HXTour56, NXT, TM TP etc. . . you won't find a distance ball that has significant difference in length, the key is getting the ball in the fairway and there is a difference in spin rates, some balls do go straighter and resist going off line.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

If your using different balls on different holes your cheating and your Handicap is wrong. The rule is you must use the same type of balls thru the round. You can change balls from the tee but it must be the same type of ball as started with on the first tee, the number on the ball can be different. You must tell the other players your changing balls if the number is different you don't need to inform them your playing a new ball from the tee if the number is the same as the one your changing the ball for. If you have a special ball for putting only, that's against the rule also. You must hole out with the ball you teed off with unless the ball was changed during the hole by penalty/damage. ie. lost,cracked,scuffed stolen by a squirrel then you still need to tell your playing partners your changing balls.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons

If your using different balls on different holes your cheating and your Handicap is wrong. The rule is you must use the same type of balls thru the round. You can change balls from the tee but it must be the same type of ball as started with on the first tee, the number on the ball can be different. You must tell the other players your changing balls if the number is different you don't need to inform them your playing a new ball from the tee if the number is the same as the one your changing the ball for. . .

I wasn't able to find that rule or those rules; could you please tell me which rule/rules says that? Thanks.

If your using different balls on different holes your cheating and your Handicap is wrong. The rule is you must use the same type of balls thru the round. You can change balls from the tee but it must be the same type of ball as started with on the first tee, the number on the ball can be different. You must tell the other players your changing balls if the number is different you don't need to inform them your playing a new ball from the tee if the number is the same as the one your changing the ball for. If you have a special ball for putting only, that's against the rule also. You must hole out with the ball you teed off with unless the ball was changed during the hole by penalty/damage. ie. lost,cracked,scuffed stolen by a squirrel then you still need to tell your playing partners your changing balls.

Golfchief . . . I believe your league may be imposing a 'one ball rule' but that is at its disgression and this rule is not an official rule of golf. Here is a clarification . . .

"There is nothing in the Rules of Golf that prevents a golfer from changing to a different golf ball (i.e., from a Titleist to a Maxfli) on every hole on the course - so long as the change is made between the play of holes. However, there is something in the Rules of Golf that says a tournament committee can impose such a rule. It's called the "one ball condition" (in the rulebook, it's in Appendix 1, Part C). As you probably know, all Tour events are played under the "one ball condition." And any rules committee may adopt the "one ball condition" for its competitions. The "one ball condition" requires the player to use the exact same brand and type of ball throughout the round. For example, if you tee off No.1 with a Titleist Pro V1x, then that's what you must play throughout the round. If the "one ball condition" is not in effect, however, golfers may swap out different types of golf balls at any point in a round of golf, so long as the change is made between holes rather than during the play of a hole. Rule 15-1 states: "A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground ..." In my post I was thinking about recreational golf and not tournament play as all of my golf is recreational and not competitive . . . if the one ball rule is in effect then of course you use one ball, otherwise you can use different balls if you like. I would bet that almost all recreational golfers switch balls during a round, especially if they find a ball and want to try it out.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

There are many things to contribute to what makes a good golf ball. Pro-V1 is the best because of it's versatility to a golf swing, but the price matches the product.

You need to know "your game". If you are a player who likes to work the ball (fade, draw, check-spin, run-out, etc.) then the better balls are what you need. Although I prefer the Pro-V1, there are a lot of suitable substitutes. If you are a player who loses or gains strokes because of mishits or errand tee-shots, then I would reccommend staying to the cheaper side. Workability comes with a price. A mishit, slice for instance, with a Pro-V1 will spin out more than a two-piece ball.

Personally, my preferred "cheap" ball is the Noodle. Although I do not use it often, if it is wet out where I don't need to check up on greens or if I am playing hack course, I'll break out the Noodle from time to time.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

alockrem & RX Phoenix -- Thanks for the explanation. So, I don't have to worry about changing balls as long as it's between holes. That's what I've been doing and am glad to find I'm not doing anything wrong SINCE there are no "one ball" rules in the three or four leagues in which I play. All of these leagues play straight USGA rules and the rare "local" rule is always explained to all participants before golfers are sent out.

DT Solo's are junk balls. If you want a forgiving ball with lots of feel start hitting the Pro V1. I switch off an on between the Pro V1 and the Bridgestone B330S. Bridgestone is longer off the T, but the Pro V1 has more feel around the greens. I am a 4 handicapper...so take it for what its worth

Driver FT-5 9.5-neutral-stiff
Wood Fusion 3 wood 15*-neutral-stiff
Irons X-forged irons 4-W
Wedges Vokey spinned milled 54* bent to 52*,56* and 60*
Putter Tour Blue TT3Balls Pro V1x

Thank you John Boy and puttmaster -

Bridgestone B300S - I will add that to my list of golf balls to try.

John Boy - How does the noodle compare to the Pro V1 as far as distance / spin? I am below average in driving distance so the distance is an important factor to me.

Note: This thread is 6306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!