IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Flaming Moe

Can someone tell me why they think Petey is so good?  Don't get me wrong, I think he is good, but I watched most of the first episode and thought he was decent but he still hit a few bad shots....then he was eliminated.....then on this show he kicked ass, which shows he is good....but in reading a lot of these posts, people were saying Petey is so good BEFORE this new episode came on and had his chance to get back on the show.  So that means people were saying he was so good based off the pilot episode where he barely did anything.  Same thing with the cast, they were saying, Damn Petey is back, he is the most dangerous/skilled one.

Did I miss something in the first episode (or did he come out in other episodes and I missed those?) because I'm not sure I see how they say he was so great (before this last episode)

Maybe some of them know him or know of him from other golf competitions?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best line from last night's show was Russell on Justin.  "He needs a check up from the neck up".  Classic.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

In hindsight, it now makes sense why Floyd putt from 25 yards off the green.  He absolutely had to know that he was playing so poorly.  I can feel when I have no confidence in my swing, and I bet that's exactly how he felt.  It's really odd still, but it makes sense.

Did you guys notice that even when his drive found the fairway on the 2nd hole, it appeared to be a low slice that started on line with the left rough and turned all the way across the fairway to the right side?

Those are two excellent points. I knew instantly why Robert putted it. Every swing has been a stab, and he's putting crosshanded. Zero confidence. He knew he could skull or chunk the chip shot. On a putt of that length you basically can't embarrass yourself. Your strategy may be second guessed but that's preferable to the type of shot he was semi-likely to hit with a wedge off a tight lie.

The drive that hit the fairway was low toward the heel. I wish I could say I didn't recognize it. Those shots feel terrible and are produced by an awful swing but normally you get away with it, a low banana that starts 10-15 yards left of target and wanders weakly, generally finishing right center of the fairway or near the right edge.

Floyd apologized for the shot, joking, "That's the only way I can hit the fairway."

Interesting discussion here on the value of buying the half shot. I appreciate Robert's description when he went to elimination, that it was merely buying a playoff. As a gambler I'm sure I would have rejected the option and mouthed off. But it's true the value can shift dramatically from challenge to challenge. Shank's edge was greatest, a step ladder format. David bought a half shot in a challenge he could lose several shots merely by being uncomfortable from one distance.

In later episodes I'm sure I'll root against the guys who have succumbed to the 1/2 shot buy. I like David but in his weekly interviews with Golfgal he's defensively insisted buying the 1/2 shot is a "no brainer." LOL. Yeah, if everyone in the country drives on the left side tomorrow then it's a no brainer to follow suit. If all the contestants get scared and surrender half their money, and no one misses a turn in elimination, then it's simply lower dollar amounts on top.

As someone posted, we don't know the perfect strategy because the producers can dramatically alter the significance of the money list later in the series. In Las Vegas I know the math on every number, so that dictates strategy in buying a half point, or playing money line as opposed to spread, etc.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Flaming Moe

Can someone tell me why they think Petey is so good?  Don't get me wrong, I think he is good, but I watched most of the first episode and thought he was decent but he still hit a few bad shots....then he was eliminated.....then on this show he kicked ass, which shows he is good....but in reading a lot of these posts, people were saying Petey is so good BEFORE this new episode came on and had his chance to get back on the show.  So that means people were saying he was so good based off the pilot episode where he barely did anything.  Same thing with the cast, they were saying, Damn Petey is back, he is the most dangerous/skilled one.

Did I miss something in the first episode (or did he come out in other episodes and I missed those?) because I'm not sure I see how they say he was so great (before this last episode)

I may be confusing my people but I think Kent or someone else knew of or playing in amateur tournaments with Piri before the big break.  It seems like a few of the guys had seen each other or knew about each other from the mini tour or amateur circuit.  So it seemed like Kent was vouching for he fact that Piri was dangerous the most and the other guys went along with that since Kent has displayed the most all around talent - arguably - thus far.

Driver: '09 Burner
3Wood: Burner
Hybrids: 3 hybrid and Austads Pickle 26 degree
Irons: Rac os2 PW-4
Wedges: Vokey 48, 52 and 56 degreePutter: RossaBag: Sasquatch TourPushcart: 2.0Ball: Prov1 GPS: freecaddie software running on cellphone

Also I was a little critical of NormandaMarine's play earlier in the show on these forums but in all honesty he showed up big on the last show - he battled in that eliminated golfers challenge and just got outplayed by a guy who was clearly feeling it and in the zone - there is no shame in that.  He also had the best lines of the show yet - that one someone already mentioned about Justin - and some of his commentary they ran during he elimination shots had me cracking up.  I think all golfers probably feel the same way that you never want to beat someone when they are playing crappy - you want to see them play well and just play better so the win actually means something.  I think the last challenge between Piri and Russel was the best head to head golf played thus far.

• Upvote 1

Driver: '09 Burner
3Wood: Burner
Hybrids: 3 hybrid and Austads Pickle 26 degree
Irons: Rac os2 PW-4
Wedges: Vokey 48, 52 and 56 degreePutter: RossaBag: Sasquatch TourPushcart: 2.0Ball: Prov1 GPS: freecaddie software running on cellphone

Robert appears to have been invited more because of his name and who his dad is than his golf game.  I felt bad for him as I usually make shots like that but I'm not doing it on camera for millions of people to see.

Watching him struggle made me wonder how a show like Big Break would do with average players who were competing and had the benefit of instruction during competition.  Sort of Big Break meets the Haney Project.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by NI4NI

Best line from last night's show was Russell on Justin.  "He needs a check up from the neck up".  Classic.

agreed..... i just about peed when i heard this!! hahah!

sad to see Russell gone already, I think he's got more skill than he portrayed on the show

ol cross handed dude and the Jamaican guy (sorry bad w names) i think will be long time contendors

liking the season so far....but miss Sara Brown ;)

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post

Best line from last night's show was Russell on Justin. "He needs a check up from the neck up". Classic.

agreed..... i just about peed when i heard this!! hahah!

sad to see Russell gone already, I think he's got more skill than he portrayed on the show

ol cross handed dude and the Jamaican guy (sorry bad w names) i think will be long time contendors

liking the season so far....but miss Sara Brown ;)

you're not the only one!

Did anyone see Johns putting green in his backyard? They showed it for a second on an episode and said his dad bought it for him. He looks like hes got tons of money, it was nice, almost looked like he lived in a mansion, which I guess was his dads house too.

Did anyone see Johns putting green in his backyard? They showed it for a second on an episode and said his dad bought it for him. He looks like hes got tons of money, it was nice, almost looked like he lived in a mansion, which I guess was his dads house too.

I don't know about the house but that putting green looked sweet. I want one in my back yard!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Quote:

Originally Posted by motteler621

I don't know about the house but that putting green looked sweet. I want one in my back yard!

yea he had like a million dollar view as well. Seems a little spoiled to be honest

Maybe he inherited it?  Remember, he said his father passed away.  I don't remember if he said it was recent or not.

He definitely doesn't act like a spoiled brat... at least not so far.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Maybe he inherited it?  Remember, he said his father passed away.  I don't remember if he said it was recent or not.

He definitely doesn't act like a spoiled brat... at least not so far.

Brandon

yea, he prob did but Im not sure I would pick him to be put on the Big " Break" . Theres tons of pro golfers out there who dont have money and need a big break. Same with Floyds son, guy is probably loaded with cash and set for his future.

Finally got to watch the last episode yesterday. Glad that Justin is gone, how about you stop talking about how great you are and actually hit a shot? Blamimg the dew on the grass for that chip? Pretty weak.

How in the world did Robert ever get on that show? Afraid to chip, hand coming off the club when he hits a drive, and then when he finally hits the fairway he promptly shanks his approach dead left into the bunker. I actually felt bad for him because he looked uncomfortable from the first episode.

Watching Petey go against all 7 players next week should be interesting to watch.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

A little surprised by all the positive comments about Russell.  I get that he posts here and is a decorated soldier, but his false bravado was getting on my nerves last night.  Even my wife commented on it.  Robert has chops on the golf course, the guy made the cut and finished T-48 at the 2008 AT&T;, that's not a fluke and is more than Russell has ever done.  A lot of these guys sitting back making comments on poor shots need to learn how to shut their mouths.  Justin, Kent and yes our dear friend Russell are the biggest culprits.  The little bit about who could or couldn't be a Marine was ridiculous, although I suspect it wasn't his idea.  Russell, are you trying to tell everyone else how tough you are or yourself??

Petey watched the same shots Robert hit and acted with a lot of class by keeping his thoughts to himself.  Its apparent to anyone who has ever played high level competitive golf that Robert has lost his confidence entirely.  It was difficult for me to watch as I have battled the same issue.  Until you have been there you don't know what it feels like.  I battled driver yips that ultimately took the joy completely out of the game.  Robert standing over the ball with something on the line is probably the last place he wanted to be right there.

Other notes, Petey is a player.  No doubt about it.  That said, Will's reaction to the comeback challenge was perplexing.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by saltman

... Will's reaction to the comeback challenge was perplexing.

I have to agree, Will was coming off like a kid throwing a temper tantrum.  I was kind of liking him before that, now I think he's just kinda whiny.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by saltman

A little surprised by all the positive comments about Russell.  I get that he posts here and is a decorated soldier 1st off, I am a Marine, not a soldier!) , but his false bravado was getting on my nerves last night.  Even my wife commented on it.  Robert has chops on the golf course, the guy made the cut and finished T-48 at the 2008 AT&T;, that's not a fluke and is more than Russell has ever done (More than I have ever done? I have given my life to this country which is a lot more than most people will ever do in a year).  A lot of these guys sitting back making comments on poor shots need to learn how to shut their mouths.  Justin, Kent and yes our dear friend Russell are the biggest culprits.  The little bit about who could or couldn't be a Marine was ridiculous (Fact: Roughly 40% of the population of the United States are eligable to be a Marine, only 1% ever become a Marine, I think I know what I am talking about after 18 years of service, 10 of the last have been at war), although I suspect it wasn't his idea.  Russell, are you trying to tell everyone else how tough you are or yourself (I never once said anything on the show about being tough, I don't have to)??

Petey watched the same shots Robert hit and acted with a lot of class by keeping his thoughts to himself (You do realize you do not hear 99% of the things said right? So how do you know what he said and didn't?).  Its apparent to anyone who has ever played high level competitive golf that Robert has lost his confidence entirely.  It was difficult for me to watch as I have battled the same issue.  Until you have been there you don't know what it feels like.  I battled driver yips that ultimately took the joy completely out of the game.  Robert standing over the ball with something on the line is probably the last place he wanted to be right there.

Other notes, Petey is a player.  No doubt about it.  That said, Will's reaction to the comeback challenge was perplexing.

Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the support, it was fun while it lasted... I wish I would have played better in the begining but for some reason I had the hooks, my friends were baffled... I am in Afghanistan right now with 3rd Battalion 6th Marines and we are in a fight so make sure you pray for those Marines out there hooking and jabbing.

And to Saltman, the reason why there is positive comments is because I have been a member for a few years before the show and have conducted myself in a positive manner giving help and advice to those who need it. You don't bash a guy who has been a member, was on the show and is in Afghanistan fighting for your freedon you Jackwagon!

• Upvote 3

It is a sign that Will isn't going to have the mental toughness to win this (or be a professional golfer at this point of this life). Everyone there has to be a little upset that they have to beat one more person to win. The mentally tough ones say, big deal 7 or 8 it doesn't matter. It seems to me if Will has to face an elimination challenge against Pete (I am guessing though it is going to take some great golf to get back on the show), is he going to be thinking about beating Pete or about how unfair it is? It is easy to play well when things are going your way. To make it to the top, you need to be able to grind out when things are going bad.

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

I have to agree, Will was coming off like a kid throwing a temper tantrum.  I was kind of liking him before that, now I think he's just kinda whiny.

Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!