IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to preface this by saying that I haven't read the whole thread -- mainly just Russ's posts and some of the early stuff.

Russel! Respect! You fought so hard at the end and straightened out that ball flight just when you needed too. It's unfortunate it ended the way it did, but you did go toe to toe with a mini-Tour player and forced him to earn it. I actually have a feeling we could see Petey again one of these days a la James Nitties.

I just wanted to say that IMO this has been the best season of the Big Break since I started watching it back in '08 (Kaanapali). Once you accept the fact that the format isn't very fair, it becomes a really enjoyable show.

I feel like Kent takes it down at this point, but you never really know with this show.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I feel like Kent takes it down at this point, but you never really know with this show.

I'm worried Kent doesn't survive the next episode. The teaser that one shot changes the entire competition, and Carl's quote that some players haven't been tested, don't seem to make sense unless the money list is dramatically impacted, and that would mean either Will or Kent are eliminated, or somehow lose the bulk of their money without being eliminated.

I hope we get a free for all with huge chunks of cash at stake, and on full holes not flip and tap.

I like this season, i am rooting for Will.. I like his attitude how he is upbeat... Glad the Texan is off the show.. But I wanted our own Russell to stay on better...LOL

On a side note.. Does anyone miss Vince.. The Co host the British guy is really annoying.

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

I've only watched 3 seasons of Big Break, and think this was one of the best episodes I've seen.  I love Shank's personality and character, but Carl seems to be much more mentally strong.  The two shots he pulled off under pressure were pretty amazing.

Dave is showing that he can play with anybody, IMO.

Lastly, HangEmHigh's point is not lost on me.  I could have sworn that when the official told him to place the ball, he then said to Carl "that ball is at rest and in play, now if it happens to roll it is a stroke penalty."  Then the ball moves and he plays it from the new spot, but when he addresses it, BB says he's hitting his 3rd shot.

So I rewound it, and the official actually said "now if it happens to roll, it is what it is."  I guess that means no penalty and play it where it lies, but why would he be so vague about it?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by HANGEMHIGH

Carl was impressive with his mathematical wizardry, taking a 6 on the first elimination hole when he shot a 7,LOL. He should be disqualified.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Lastly, HangEmHigh's point is not lost on me.  I could have sworn that when the official told him to place the ball, he then said to Carl "that ball is at rest and in play, now if it happens to roll it is a stroke penalty."  Then the ball moves and he plays it from the new spot, but when he addresses it, BB says he's hitting his 3rd shot.

So I rewound it, and the official actually said "now if it happens to roll, it is what it is."  I guess that means no penalty and play it where it lies, but why would he be so vague about it?

I don't see the issue you guys do. Embedded ball, free relief, placed after 2 drops, moved on its own before it was addressed... where is the penalty or the vagueness?

If anything it seemed it was still in the bunker when embedded, but the official ruled otherwise so what was Carl supposed to do?

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm not sure that placement was legal.  I've deleted my recording but IIRC, they put it on the forward edge of the bunker, which seems like it would've been closer to the hole than where it had embedded. If they had actually placed it at the nearest point to where it was embedded, it should've been in the sand. Hmm, maybe I do have an issue with this...

Bill

I agree with Carl about the some players haven't been tested comment. Will and Kent have neither had any tests yet. The "challenges" they have done well in to keep them out of elimination rounds have not showcased what they have or have not as far as talent. I think we saw a little bit of what Will has got last night.

I wish they would put them all in 1 on 1 challenges for a few holes of real golf like Carl and Shank faced last night. That shows more what a player has got.

Kent can play, he broke most of the glass in an early episode, Will was a big beneficiary, and Will is definitely untested.  Kent hit excellent shots last evening.  Both Carl & Will have crappy swings, but Carl has a brain on top, could carry him into a final episode vs. Kent.  Dave is good player but he can't beat Kent (noticed that he's not very long off the tee.)  Let's face it, the only guy in the bunch who should ever step on the first tee at a PGA Tour event is Kent.  Though I must admit, Carl would be fun to watch................

Last night's show really demonstrated the problems with this season's approach.  Giving the money leaders advantages has no grounding in golf, and the results would have been very different if the golf was straight up.

Will showed me exactly what I expected last night: he's a spoiled brat with a bad attitude, and I don't think he has much game to speak of.  He's made it this far by luck and the bad decisions of others instead of his own talent.

I was sorry to see Shank go, but he has never really showed a great game.  His performance is probably the let down of the season.  Carl impressed me greatly last night.  I think he has the most determination of anyone out there, and those two clutch shots were the best of the season.  He obviously has talent, now what he needs is a swing coach.  There's no way he could hold up in a PGA event.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

I agree with everyone else about the show. Giving someone the half stroke advantages, etc is dumb. I have an idea, how about just going out and playing golf? No advantages, no silly putt-off tie breakers, just golf. I'm okay with doing some of the gimmicky stuff like the breaking of the glass as it's become the trademark of the show over the years, but you can do that kind of stuff and still play golf. Do the gimmicky stuff you've got to do for ratings, but when an elimination challenge rolls around, let them go out and play 9 or 18 holes of golf to determine the winner.

Carl is a chopper but he seems to get away with it.  His fashion sense is a bit strange but he thinks his way around and that is his biggest advantage.

I enjoy the show but I recognize that it is about entertainment, not golf.  I thought Carl pulled of a couple of amazing shots just when he needed them.  Reminds me of my youth and some folks down at the local pool hall.   But was sorry to see Shank go, he had a great attitude and he added some color to the show and I enjoyed his country witticisms.

Butch

As I expected, Will crumbled under real pressure, he's not shown himself to be mentally strong enough to win in an elimination.  Nice guy but needs to work on his mental game.

Shanks was pure class, too bad his golf game wasn't up to par.  Any guy that gets eliminated and then goes on to thank the guy that eliminated him and tell him how much he's learned from him gets major props from me.  I was happy to see him working on his health and game at the end.  If Shanks makes it to the Tour, I'll be rooting for him.

Carl needs to trust his head more and his swing less.  If he hit his 2 iron on the driving competition during the immunity challenge he wouldn't have even ended up in the elimination.  BB is as much about strategy as it is golf, and he's the best equipped to win strategically, just needs to keep his ego in check.

Kent is still the odds on favorite to win, he has a good swing, and understands the strategy of BB almost as well as Carl does.  He also seems to be a lot less cocky and annoying than he was earlier in the season.  I'm not sure if we're seeing the real Kent now or if BB is just giving him favorable editing, but I'm liking him more.

David showed he has some game, but will have a tough time winning if the elimination challenge remains a Par 5 and Par 4 since he doesn't appear to have the distance the other guys do.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Clutch Carl.

282 yard 3 wood off the deck, then jams in his sand wedge.

Sucks to see Shanks go - probably the most entertaining guy on the show. Hopefully he makes it on the Tour one day soon

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

This show is supposed to be an opportunity for great golfers to get their "big break" and get a chance to compete on the PGA tour.   Looking at this group there's really only one guy that has any business in a tour event.  Kent is clearly the most complete golfer on the show and it isn't even close.   If he doesn't win I'll be shocked.   Everyone else in this season has been a colossal step below your average PGA player.

Carl's a nice story, but doesn't have anywhere near the game to play on tour.    Will's probably out next show.

David cracks me up.  The guy walks around looking like someone just woke him up and said "HEY, let's play golf.    What I don't get is how can he only drive the ball 260 yet hit a 5 iron 195?

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Originally Posted by GolfBear

This show is supposed to be an opportunity for great golfers to get their "big break" and get a chance to compete on the PGA tour.   Looking at this group there's really only one guy that has any business in a tour event.  Kent is clearly the most complete golfer on the show and it isn't even close.   If he doesn't win I'll be shocked.   Everyone else in this season has been a colossal step below your average PGA player.

Should Kent even be on BBIW?  He participated in the 2010 Open.  I would think his resume over-qualifies him for the show.

Not against him, I like him, he just seems like he doesn't need his "Big Break"

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I don't see the issue you guys do. Embedded ball, free relief, placed after 2 drops, moved on its own before it was addressed... where is the penalty or the vagueness?

If anything it seemed it was still in the bunker when embedded, but the official ruled otherwise so what was Carl supposed to do?

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm not sure that placement was legal.  I've deleted my recording but IIRC, they put it on the forward edge of the bunker, which seems like it would've been closer to the hole than where it had embedded. If they had actually placed it at the nearest point to where it was embedded, it should've been in the sand. Hmm, maybe I do have an issue with this...

Well, I thought it was vague to say "it is what it is."  I thought there were rules about how far it could roll before having to be replaced.  I would prefer an official say "you play it as it lies after it rolls unless..." or something along those lines.  But you bring up a good point about the drop execution.  No doubt it would have been a tough drop, but it was probably an inch or two ahead of where they should have dropped.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Any guy that gets eliminated and then goes on to thank the guy that eliminated him and tell him how much he's learned from him gets major props from me.  I was happy to see him working on his health and game at the end.  If Shanks makes it to the Tour, I'll be rooting for him.

Kent is still the odds on favorite to win, he has a good swing, and understands the strategy of BB almost as well as Carl does.  He also seems to be a lot less cocky and annoying than he was earlier in the season.  I'm not sure if we're seeing the real Kent now or if BB is just giving him favorable editing, but I'm liking him more.

Agree about Shanks & his newfound work ethic.  I was happy to see that the remarks he made upon being eliminated weren't just for show, and that he has indeed changed his diet and lifestyle in order to dedicate himself more.  Even if he doesn't make it on tour, it sounds like he is a better person from the experiences he gained.  Sometimes we need experiences outside our isolated/insulated little worlds to give us some motivation to improve ourselves :-)

And yes, Kent's personality seems to be a complete 180-degree turn since Justin has gone.  It seems like Justin simply brought out the worst of him.  Now he is cool-headed, even-tempered and humble, while still maintaining his playing edge amongst his peers.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!