IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not surprised at all Carl carded that 102. None of these guys are good players...and even though he's managed to stay on the show, Carl's by far the worst. His swing is terrible. After this season I'm starting to wonder how you get on that show. It can't be that hard.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

If Kevin Na a PGA Tour Pro can shoot 16 on Par 4 why so shocked that Carl shot a 10?  It's one scorecard, I wouldn't put too much weight on it being a reflection of his ability or handicap.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If Kevin Na a PGA Tour Pro can shoot 16 on Par 4 why so shocked that Carl shot a 10?  It's one scorecard, I wouldn't put too much weight on it being a reflection of his ability or handicap.

The 16 was a very unique circumstance, but yes I agree.  If tour pros occasionally put up 8s on holes, it's obviously possible for scratch golfers to put up 10s.  And going by Carl's swing, I don't find it surprising that he performed poorly on a qualifying course.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Can anyone play in an Open qualifier? Like the WSOP, put up the entry fee and hit the green(felt)?

Can any of the guys really be worthy of a slot in a pro tourney?

Is the image of backward grips, muttering, threats of violence or fighting, poor play,  displays of a complete lack of Golf etiquette, including  miss-application of the rules, what the Golf Channel wants to use to promote the game?

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Link isn't working for me.

Who was the player?

You know, some of the guys on the show do not look like scratch players whatsoever. Maybe it;s the pressure or something but it's strange

EDIT: Carl.....not surprising. 10 on a par 4? WTF?

Yeah, it's a strange show. I feel like the producers would rather get interesting characters on the show rather than good golfers who actually have a shot at the PGA Tour. I would much rather they get guys with zero personality who can really play than average golfers who have quirky personalities that are good for TV.

Kent obviously can play because you don't qualify for the US Open if you can't, but outside of him, I just don't see PGA Tour talent.

I don't live in a huge city by any means and I bet I know of 10 guys or more that live here who would wax the floor with the guys on the show, save Kent.

Originally Posted by GolfBear

If I remember correctly don't you need an index of 1.5 or better just to get into an open qualifier?

Everyone has a bad round now and then but that card looks like he played with a broken arm.    I don't see Kent shoot a 100 anywhere, just give him the damn money and end this dreadful season.

Could be. I don't know the exact criteria, but I know it's somewhere around scratch.

True, Kevin Na did take a 16 on a hole. Even with the 16, he still beat Carl's 102 by 20 shots and did it on a course that's 500 yards longer. I said it earlier that anyone can have a bad round or even a bad stretch of rounds or hell even a bad year, but if you're a very good golfer (which by USGA standards a scratch player is) you DO NOT shoot 102 anywhere even in a bad round. It's laughable that Carl is on a show trying to win a shot to play on the PGA Tour and posts that score.

• Upvote 1

I would say that might be true if it wasn't for the season with the ladies.   Half the girls on that season could play and Carling and Sara don't embarrass themselves on the LPGA tour.

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Yeah, it's a strange show. I feel like the producers would rather get interesting characters on the show rather than good golfers who actually have a shot at the PGA Tour. I would much rather they get guys with zero personality who can really play than average golfers who have quirky personalities that are good for TV.

Kent obviously can play because you don't qualify for the US Open if you can't, but outside of him, I just don't see PGA Tour talent.

I don't live in a huge city by any means and I bet I know of 10 guys or more that live here who would wax the floor with the guys on the show, save Kent.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Originally Posted by GolfBear

I would say that might be true if it wasn't for the season with the ladies.   Half the girls on that season could play and Carling and Sara don't embarrass themselves on the LPGA tour.

Fair enough. I admit that before this year I've only watched a few episodes here and there of previous years. Not nearly enough to get a good idea of the talent. My comments were mainly directed at this season's show.

I agree that a lot of these guys are not good.  But I wish the the golf channel would do whole hole matches instead of chipping contests.  Obviously it wouldn't make for good TV if they played an 18 hole round of golf.  But I could be the greatest player around the green but still have a 15 handicap.  Which wouldn't warrant a spot on a PGA tour event.  I would rather watch them play actual whole holes all season than watch them chip and putt.

Here's the deal: the women on The Big Break are much closer to "tour level" than the men are. Every woman of the Sandals season cast was only a couple of years removed from being the best player on a major-college golf program, and all of them had been playing with varying degrees of success on the Futures Tour. A male player in his mid-20s who was the best player on his college team and is playing well on the Nationwide Tour isn't appearing on The Big Break: he isn't struggling to pay for his expenses, and there are far more opportunities to for him to advance to the PGA Tour than his female counterpart. The huge economic gap between the men's and women's developmental circuits dictates that a silly competition means much more to the ladies. On the women's seasons, the players are almost ready for the LPGA Tour, and they're looking for that last push to get there. The men's seasons, on the other hand, reveal players who are a long way from being successful touring pros, and the show tends to make their weaknesses (be they physical or mental) plain for all to see.

• Upvote 3

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It is a tv show afterall. A reality show without quirky personalities would quickly die. Interesting characters are more likely to bring viewership which is bring more money in advertising.

Yeah, I definitely understand why the Golf Channel is doing what they're doing, but I disagree with the approach. Loving the game as much as I do, I would much rather see 10 guys who have zero personality but a ton of game play against each other for their Big Break. But to each their own in that regard, I guess. It seems like TGC is usually in an upgrade package from your TV provider so I assume that most people that have TGC are watching it because they like to see good golf, not because you got some funny characters.

As a golf fan I agree with you, but if I just want to watch great golfers compete I'll watch the PGA, Euro, LPGA replays on Golf Channel.  The Big Break is 50/50 split of some form of golf activity and interviews / reactions.  Most people want some "big personalities", drama or rivalry to develop that makes them want to hear their comments during the interview and root for or against them.   I agree they should try to keep the quality of players as high as possible, but as others have already commented, on the mens side that's a bit tougher to do.

Yeah, I definitely understand why the Golf Channel is doing what they're doing, but I disagree with the approach. Loving the game as much as I do, I would much rather see 10 guys who have zero personality but a ton of game play against each other for their Big Break. But to each their own in that regard, I guess. It seems like TGC is usually in an upgrade package from your TV provider so I assume that most people that have TGC are watching it because they like to see good golf, not because you got some funny characters.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't think the golf channel would do it your way if it would bring more viewers?

The reality is that guys like Justin bring in viewers even if only to root against him.

Maybe on the next season of a women's Big Break they'll bring on Snooki from Jersey Shore?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Guys, BBIW is an EXHIBITION, not to be confused with a real golf competition.  And truthfully, these guys don't have much personality to offset the mediocre golf.  Maybe some side show events: 50yd dash (showcase Carl), cooking (David),  shoveling manure (Justin), guitar solos (John), obstacle course under live fire (Oren and Russ).  Or maybe Tim Abbot can relate his golf experience, looks like he should be hosting the UK version of how to improve a wornan's wardrobe show.

As a golf fan I agree with you, but if I just want to watch great golfers compete I'll watch the PGA, Euro, LPGA replays on Golf Channel.  The Big Break is 50/50 split of some form of golf activity and interviews / reactions.  Most people want some "big personalities", drama or rivalry to develop that makes them want to hear their comments during the interview and root for or against them.   I agree they should try to keep the quality of players as high as possible, but as others have already commented, on the mens side that's a bit tougher to do.

I can't say for sure, but I'd have to guess they can find great golfers with some kind of outgoing personality? Maybe not. I read the post earlier outlining why it's tougher to get good men golfers for the show. I'm just not sure I agree. We're not talking about getting guys who are already on some mini-tour or the Nationwide Tour. Those guys are getting their break. What I'm talking about is the guy who is an insurance agent with two kids who can go out and shoot under par just about anywhere but because of family and work can't just drop it all and try to make it on tour. There's a lot of guys out there like that. I'm getting ready to play in the City Golf Championship here and there's always a handful of guys who are near the top of the leaderboard who will shoot five under or better for the four day tournament and they aren't top college golfers and aren't currently on a a mini tour. This is just one city and a relatively small one at that.

Originally Posted by shades9323

You don't think the golf channel would do it your way if it would bring more viewers?

I would guess so. Besides the women golfers, have they ever actually tried it my way? If not, how to do they know this current way is the best way? I haven't kept up with all of the seasons of the show, but based on discussions I've read it doesn't sound like to me that they've ever had a season with 10 guys (or however many they have) that have a legit chance to compete on any tour.

Speaking of Kevin Na and blowup's, John Daly shot a 13 on a par 4 today at the John Deere Classic.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/00/12/49/scorecards/2011/r030.html

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

In Na's case, and in many of Daly's, they pretty much went Tin Cup, more or less giving up on a single hole and attempting to hit shot after shot without thinking.  But it is a "temporary insanity".  Usually by the next hole they are back to what passes for normal.

It appears from Carl's scorecard that he botched hole after hole after hole.  That is definitely not a characteristic of a potential professional golfer. But, looking at his swing, I can see how he would have trouble with consistency.  Or.... maybe he just lost his notebook that contained all his golf knowledge.

Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!