IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any pro can enter. Any amateur should have a ~1.5 handicap. But anyone can call themselves a pro so in reality anyone can try to qualify. You will get banned if you shoot a bad score until you can prove that you are a legit contender.

I don't know what the Big Break budget it is, but it seems like for a bit of prize money (100-200k) you could make it worth while to pretty much any minitour and most of the nationwide players to show up and compete.

Originally Posted by HANGEMHIGH

Can anyone play in an Open qualifier? Like the WSOP, put up the entry fee and hit the green(felt)?

Can any of the guys really be worthy of a slot in a pro tourney?

Is the image of backward grips, muttering, threats of violence or fighting, poor play,  displays of a complete lack of Golf etiquette, including  miss-application of the rules, what the Golf Channel wants to use to promote the game?

Carl was +22 on the par 4's that day....  yikes.

I will add that he seems to be a very nice guy, his competitors care for him a great deal, and Carl interacts well with fans of the show via various social media sites like twitter, facebook, etc.   That said, his swing does not appear to be of PGA Tour quality, but...  neither does Jim Furyk's - qualtiy move through the ball nonwithstanding.

I'm not certainly casting any more stones in that regard.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

i can't remember the last time i shot over 90 let alone a 100...maybe carl didn't have the time to map every inch of the place...?

Maybe he forgot his strategy book at home.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by shades9323

It is a tv show afterall. A reality show without quirky personalities would quickly die. Interesting characters are more likely to bring viewership which is bring more money in advertising.

This is only partly true.  If you get some guys who can really ball it up, then the true diehard golf lovers are going to watch.  And also letting them play golf as opposed to all the "games".  Show some true pressure golf situations with some guys with real game will provide plenty of drama for the real golf fans. And if you do that, many times you will find that these guys will have enough personality to make it interesting on the side as well.

The new Big Break commercial makes it look like Kent struggles on the next show, wouldn't that be something if he doesn't win?

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

All those calling for "real golf" to decide this show...  really?  Think about the dozens of cameras and techs that are all over the place.  Logistically, the show MUST have definitive, black and white challenge and elimination situations.  Even after a three hole challenge is halved, the play off MUST be something immediate and measurable.  It takes more than the normal amount of time to play a hole as it is.

Putt-off's aren't a lot of fun, but they can be tension filled, and they get the job done without a logistical nightmare (they simply can't - from a $ standpoint - have "It's on to sudden death hole #4 - everybody back to the tee box again!!!")

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by Mo Co Kid

Guys, BBIW is an EXHIBITION, not to be confused with a real golf competition.

When guys are playing for a spot in a PGA Tour event, club deals and money, I would think it would be treated like a competition. Not just an exhibition between a couple good golfers and a few "makes good TV" guys.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

This is only partly true.  If you get some guys who can really ball it up, then the true diehard golf lovers are going to watch.  And also letting them play golf as opposed to all the "games".  Show some true pressure golf situations with some guys with real game will provide plenty of drama for the real golf fans. And if you do that, many times you will find that these guys will have enough personality to make it interesting on the side as well.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one with these feelings.

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

All those calling for "real golf" to decide this show...  really?  Think about the dozens of cameras and techs that are all over the place.  Logistically, the show MUST have definitive, black and white challenge and elimination situations.

Why would this be any different than a PGA Tour event? The Golf Channel has cameras and techs all over the place when they're televising a PGA Tour event, why not this show?

Sure, the diehard golf lovers are going to watch, but the casual golfer isn't.  Therein lies the problem. The diehard golf lovers are in the vast minority of golfers and tv viewers. Casual golf fans get their fill of that type of show during the weekend coverage of the various golf tours.  They aren't going to care about watching a few guys, that currently couln't hold the jock of the 150th player on the pga money list, just play golf.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

Originally Posted by tmf9

The new Big Break commercial makes it look like Kent struggles on the next show, wouldn't that be something if he doesn't win?

Yes, looks like Carl takes on Kent, they're spinning a big upset in the ads.  My $.02: white vs black guy in final, they know how to draw viewers, and it's likely to include Carl, the ONLY guy who's positive and has personality.  Though you can't say Carl's swing is in league w Furyk, that's nutty.  Furyk has kooky Miller Barber back swing but he's in perfect position at impact, and I can't say that about Carl whose upper body is moving almost as fast as his arms at impact.

wow....lots of venom has crept into this thread regarding Carl.  I bet there are a lot of people on this thread commenting that have never experience a club championship, much less a US Open qualifer.  I don't think Carl is a scratch golfer, but I am quite certain he is much better than that 1 scorecard shows.  More than anything he represents himself with a lot of class as did Shank, Petey, John, Robert and Oren of those departed.

Its not that hard to bang a couple balls OB off the tee and come away with a 10.  Its not even that rare!  Golf can be a very fickle game and the line between good and rotten can be thin.  Those of us that have had low single digit handicaps and have suffered collapses either in a single round or a month or a year know this all too well.  Carl is new to the game and probably extremely new to tournament golf and I suspect after things spiraled early for him he had a tough time trying to right himself.  He could have easily withdrawn after the 2nd hole and saved the embarassment of his card being published all over the internet.  I am not surprised he stuck it out based on the mental fortitude he has shown thus far.

If you know your golf history you will recall that Ian Baker-Finch won the 1991 British Open and just 6 years later carded a 92 in the first round of the same tournament.  You know about David Duval, a former #1 player and major champion and later was struggling to break 80 for a couple years.  Hell, Robert Floyd suffered a bit of a meltdown on the show as was previously discussed.  I mean does anyone not recall the fact that TIGER WOODS just shot 42 on the front nine of The Players before withdrawing??  I have found that in golf that when you start casting stones, its interesting how they all seem to be shaped like boomerangs!

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by saltman

He could have easily withdrawn after the 2nd hole and saved the embarassment of his card being published all over the internet.  I am not surprised he stuck it out based on the mental fortitude he has shown thus far.

This makes me wonder if Will withdrew because he was playing poorly.  Looking at it this way, you're right that it's another example of Carl's mental toughness.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Why would this be any different than a PGA Tour event? The Golf Channel has cameras and techs all over the place when they're televising a PGA Tour event, why not this show?

Ummmm...   are you serious?

When a cameraman is not in a good position while Rory is making his club selection or addressing a shot, the cameraman and producer don't tell Rory to "WAIT".  Big Break does that to some extent.  Carl has said so on his own Twitter (as has previous participants) that playing a hole on Big Break takes much longer than playing a hole in a regular tournament... and it's obviously the same for shot after shot.

NO WAY the players are allowed to play at their own pace, and if the cameras miss a critical shot or shot reaction, then so be it.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Whither Kent?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Well, it's Kent and David.  Carl's luck ran out and Will, well, I always thought his game was suspect.  He always hit good shots early in the show and was never battle tested.  David fought his way to the final.  Kent is a pretty good player but I am rooting for David.  I think it's a toss up.  We'll see next week!

Damn, I guess my DVR missed the recording?  What the heck!

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think Kent will pull it off, however, I do like the kid....that is who I am pulling for.  This may be cheesy, but Kents voice make me what to MUTE the TV.

I am pulling for David.  I think he will benefit the most from the 'Big Break' and the chance to experience the Tour.  Kent has had a taste at the US Open last year and will hopefully continue to succeed.  Either way, it will be an entertaining final show.

Here's what's in my ogio.gif Grom...

wishon.gifDriver: 919 THI 460cc 9°
wishon.gifWoods: 915 F/H 16° and 21°
wishon.gifIrons: 752 TC 5-9, PW, AW, SWtaylormade.gifPutter: Rossa - Suzukatitleist.gifNXT Tour

When Carl pulled off another "clutch" shot out of the fairway bunker onto the green, Will's comment was priceless!

"Carl is the best worst golfer I know".

Glad to see Kent and David in the finals. I think it would have been wrong for the winner to have been someone who would have embarrased themselves at the Zurich.

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!