IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And you know that Kent or David won't embarrass themselves at the Zurich how?

Originally Posted by jclifton

When Carl pulled off another "clutch" shot out of the fairway bunker onto the green, Will's comment was priceless!

"Carl is the best worst golfer I know".

Glad to see Kent and David in the finals. I think it would have been wrong for the winner to have been someone who would have embarrased themselves at the Zurich.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Carl would have been a tremendous story at Zurich for all the media, especially if he could keep it in the 70's for 2 rounds.  Not much interest in Kent or David, maybe Golf Ch would mention it.  Will played better than I expected, great effort.  In the preview of the final match, I saw Dave reaching out to congratulate Kent, therefore I'm guessing that Kent takes it all.  PGA Tour breathes sigh of relief??

Will has a pretty good game, I think he would play just fine in an actual round, Carl on the other hand has splashes of greatness in a sea failure.  David looks to me to be the more solid performer.

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Ummmm...   are you serious?

When a cameraman is not in a good position while Rory is making his club selection or addressing a shot, the cameraman and producer don't tell Rory to "WAIT".  Big Break does that to some extent.  Carl has said so on his own Twitter (as has previous participants) that playing a hole on Big Break takes much longer than playing a hole in a regular tournament... and it's obviously the same for shot after shot.

NO WAY the players are allowed to play at their own pace, and if the cameras miss a critical shot or shot reaction, then so be it.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Ummmm.... yeah, I am serious. The Golf Channel should have a good enough grasp on the tech side of things to be able to record a show like this (especially after doing it for how many years now? Eight?) and allow these guys to play their game. You record everything from a few different angles and edit it for TV later. You don't tell the participants to wait to hit a shot so that the camera guy can get into an optimal position. I have a hard time believing that's what happens and if it does, The Golf Channel should be taking a serious look at how that show is created.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Always a chance of anyone embarrassing themselves out there no matter who it is. I do feel that these two guys have less of a chance of doing that than Carl or Will. I've not been sold on Carl's ability since the first swing. Will can obviously play, but seems like a head case at times.

Will was entertaining and he played pretty well in that elimination last night. I love his 'FIND IT' quote - although he didn't use it when he was looking for his ball.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I think the remaining 2 are certainly worthy.  I still think Petey will very likely be the best player to come out of this season and I think both Carl and Shank will eventually surprise some folks.  Carl I think is just too stubborn to not chase his goals and is very likely practices harder than any human on the planet.  I think Shank needs a little confidence and his game will turn around in a hurry.  I think Carl was the best thing to ever happen to Shank.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for these guys.  Highly entertaining season in my opinion and this is why I watch.  Carl was cast specifically to play the role of underdog and he played it amazingly well.  I think his casting was genious.

After the first hole I thought Carl might pull it out, but I think he finally proved his swing can't hold up under extended pressure.  Kent did a great job battling back after that terrible opening hole.

It took far too long, but Will finally faced an elimination and the results were exactly what I expected.  And I swear, it is SOOOO annoying when someone constantly refers to themselves in the third person (and uses their full name).

Kent v. David will be a good match.  Nothing against Kent but I would love to see David win, he seems to be having the most fun out there and as someone else mentioned this would be a bigger boost for him.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Will was entertaining and he played pretty well in that elimination last night. I love his 'FIND IT' quote - although he didn't use it when he was looking for his ball.

I swear im going to have to steal that when i got a long putt on a good line.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Last night's show was great - very entertaining and I can't wait for the final battle.  I have to agree with Will's quote that Carl is the "best worst" golfer ever!  Some of the shots he has hit this season have been incredible - just amazing.  That 3w into the green from 240 (or something like it) the other week might have been the best shot I've ever seen on the Big Break.  And others have been equally awful!  It's hard to believe that the fairway bunker shot and the 2 iron tee shot from last night were even hit by the same dude!

I think the quality of this seasons players is up substantially from last.

The guys on that show haven't shown to be all that great of golfers, none of them could handle pressure very well. I was looking forward to seeing Kent under pressure because he seemed to be maybe a little better than the rest but he cracked as bad as anybody and got lucky that Carl did the same thing. David is my pick at this point. He handled himself well even with only a 1 shot lead.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jshots

The guys on that show haven't shown to be all that great of golfers, none of them could handle pressure very well. I was looking forward to seeing Kent under pressure because he seemed to be maybe a little better than the rest but he cracked as bad as anybody and got lucky that Carl did the same thing. David is my pick at this point. He handled himself well even with only a 1 shot lead.

I'm rooting for David over Kent for one reason.  I dont feel Kent belongs on BBIW.  He already competed in the 2010 US Open ( I think it was the Open )

David needs the break more than Kent does.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I think the quality of this seasons players is up substantially from last.

The advantage that this season has had over the last men's season (Disney) is that this season's players can actually sink three-foot putts, and none of them emit the urge to punch them in the face (with an exception for Justin, of course).

Originally Posted by aschroeger

Last nights episode is how every episode should have been imo.

When players are going head-to-head like that, drama does not need to be manufactured.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

The advantage that this season has had over the last men's season (Disney) is that this season's players can actually sink three-foot putts, and none of them emit the urge to punch them in the face (with an exception for Justin, of course).

I didn't watch all of sandals but from what I saw, I thought the ladies were better the men have been in the show, at least some of them. And maybe just better to look at.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jshots

Except for that horrendous 3-putt on the last hole.

Both Kent and David had blunders in their elimination matches, but I'd still put money on Kent.  David is wild off the tee, and that will eventually catch up with him over 18 holes.  Kent's one big mistake was a mis-club, but he finds fairways and greens fairly regularly.  Neither of these guys is good enough to go on a big birdie spree, so I think it'll come down to making lots of pars and eking out a birdie or two on the par 5s - advantage Kent.

Originally Posted by saltman

I think Carl was the best thing to ever happen to Shank.

There is a special quality to Carl that is obviously recognized by his peers on the show, who all seem to hold him in the utmost of respect.  He may never be successful in professional golf, but I'm glad BB had him on.

Originally Posted by aschroeger

Last nights episode is how every episode should have been imo.

Word.  I don't see how anybody can think "casual" golfers would find putt-offs and chip-offs more entertaining than actual holes of golf.

I feel like at least 2 of the best 3 golfers made the final (with Piri being the third guy).  I knew Dave was a strong competitor from about the 2nd or 3rd episode, as he continually sent the Marine to elimination rounds.  He is solid in seemingly all facets of the game and his short game has proven to be pretty strong when he hits poor shots.  Like Will said, he simply doesn't make many mistakes.  Everybody else has made some catastrophic mistakes.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by NCSU_MSE

What 3-putt?  I thought he had a simple 2-putt to win the match.  Will was all over the place on the final hole and David was in the fairway.  Then he hit his approach to within about 15 feet, and had a tap-in putt to close out the match.  Am I "mis-remembering"? (in honor of the Clemens trial proceedings starting up)

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCSU_MSE

What 3-putt?  I thought he had a simple 2-putt to win the match.  Will was all over the place on the final hole and David was in the fairway.  Then he hit his approach to within about 15 feet, and had a tap-in putt to close out the match.

The tap-in was his 3rd putt.

But I wouldn't call the 3-putt horrendous at all. David knew a 3-putt wins even before he hit his first one. Given that, I'm sure he took less care than he otherwise would've in hitting the first two.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!