IGNORED

Picks for US Open at Congressional?

xxsoultonesxx
Note: This thread is 4694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I'm taking Kuchar again, but I'm not positive. He hasn't been very consistent this year, I'm not sure he can put together 4 good rounds.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm gonna keep picking Stricker till he wins a major. You would think he would have the game to navigate a US Open track. He's fairly straight (although he loses his driver right once a while), he deadly with the irons and we know about the putter (best in the game).

O and he's from Wisc. which makes him even more of a stud. GO STRICKER!

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

I'm going with Edoardo Molinari.  He is going to be yet another in the long line of "Who the hell is that guy?" major winners.  Can't you totally see the dumbfounded look on everyone's face when he wins?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I know this won't be a popular pick, but why not Jim Furyk?  His game has not been superb this year, however the man does have a US Open title to his name, hits it very straight, and when the AT&T; National was last at Congressional, his finishes include: '07- T3, '08- T3, '09- T7.  He likes the golf course, just a matter of whether he can finally start dropping some putts.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

My pick is that same as the Masters, Matt Kuchar. His game has been so good the last few years, he has to come through eventually (or at least I hope so). Not exactly a bomber, but he has the length to compete there and the rest of his game is pretty solid as well. [quote name="OCdude12" url="/forum/thread/46718/picks-for-us-open-at-congressional/54#post_613927"]

I know this won't be a popular pick, but why not Jim Furyk?  His game has not been superb this year, however the man does have a US Open title to his name, hits it very straight, and when the AT&T; National was last at Congressional, his finishes include: '07- T3, '08- T3, '09- T7.  He likes the golf course, just a matter of whether he can finally start dropping some putts.

[/quote] I think the conventional thinking is that a long hitter is most likely going to be the winner. Furyk, he-who-couldn't-reach-the-fairways-at-Bethpage, will really have to hit his irons well and drop some putts.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by hebron1427

someone from europe. not mcdowell. Maybe westwood finally gets a major? or donald? i got schwartzel right...so...now i'll be completely wrong.

in any case, it'll be someone who can grind and not let the oppression get to them. all those guys have battled the irritating wind for so long, they're used to irritating conditions like the US Open

Here are my actual favorites for the Open. I have selected six players, one from each order of ten in the top 50 in the world rankings, and one outside of the top 50. [U] Nos. 1-10 [/U] Lee Westwood has done everything in recent major championships except win one. He hits the ball long enough, and he does a good job of staying in play. There's nothing stopping Lee from winning this tournament, and I believe he will play a major role in determining the winner on Sunday. [U]Nos. 11-20[/U] I'm torn between Nick Watney and Hunter Mahan among this group of players. They are very similar players, and although Watney has had the better year overall, Mahan has posted some good results since the Masters, and he has good performances in the Open to fall back on. [U]Nos. 21-30[/U] Adam Scott is coming off of his best-ever major finish at the Masters, and Tiger Woods' caddie is at his service this week. If his long putter works like it did at Augusta, watch out. [U]Nos. 31-40[/U] The last exemption into the field was awarded to Gary Woodland, who entered the top 50 in the world rankings after a strong result at the Memorial. A long hitter is going to bomb his way into contention this week, and Gary fits the bill. [U]Nos. 41-50[/U] What is more valuable, consistency or explosiveness? If you opt for the latter, Brandt Snedeker is your man. Brandt has six missed cuts and a WD in 15 PGA Tour starts this year, but his worst finish out of the times in which he's made the weekend is T16. [U]Outside the Top 50[/U] The field outside of the world's top 50 is a crapshoot, since so many entries are filled via qualifying. I'll resist a sentimental pick for Sergio Garcia, and name Webb Simpson as my dark horse. Why? Two runner-up finishes in 2011.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

If Gmac finds some form he will go close again this year, however from memory he shot a round of 80 at celtic manor last week. I reckon F. Molinari will be top 10. He always comes out of the woodwork somewhere and has a good couple of rounds.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Lee Westwood

Bubba Watson

Paul Casey

Brandt Snedeker

Those are my picks lol

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Not sure yet. Donald, Kaymer, and Mahan suit my fancy somewhat. Are there any "bombers" who can actually hit a fairway with money on the line? I think Phil stands a chance but his driving is nothing to write home about right now. DJ isn't great either. Bubba's too streaky -- I could see him leading after Thursday or Friday, but not on Sunday.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Milroy

Westwood

McDowell

Donald

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by Pope33

I'm gonna keep picking Stricker till he wins a major. You would think he would have the game to navigate a US Open track. He's fairly straight (although he loses his driver right once a while), he deadly with the irons and we know about the putter (best in the game).

O and he's from Wisc. which makes him even more of a stud. GO STRICKER!

With the greens running at 14.5ft on the Stimpmeter, Stricker (and Donald) should benefit.

I have money on Lee Westwood (long and generally straight from the tee), Luke Donald , Hunter Mahan , KJ Choi and

Dustin Johnson (my pick for the outright win).

I did, however, place some outside money on Sergio Garcia and Adam Scott (70/1) due the to the the caddy change (!)

Driver: KZG Gemini 10.5° Custom Build (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
7 Wood: Mizuno MP001 21° (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (3i-PW)
GW/SW/LW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52°/56°/60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
Ball: TaylorMade TP Red / Srixon Z-Star

Originally Posted by B-Con

Not sure yet. Donald, Kaymer, and Mahan suit my fancy somewhat.

Are there any "bombers" who can actually hit a fairway with money on the line? I think Phil stands a chance but his driving is nothing to write home about right now. DJ isn't great either. Bubba's too streaky -- I could see him leading after Thursday or Friday, but not on Sunday.

Why not? Bubba's proven now that he can close the deal and win on the PGA Tour. I think he's definitely a major threat to win this week, or any week now on Tour. With how long he hits it and how good of a putter he is, there's no reason why he can't win a major...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 4694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!