IGNORED

what is your trigger thought for the downswing?

Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

interested in what everyone hear uses to trigger their downswing.

I swear 90% of the time it feels like its my head lifting up to see where the ball is going ... not good ... especially on a harder more critical shot ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Although I agree that the lower body (hips) should trigger the down swing, I don't use a physical movement myself. I use the term I borrowed from "Tin Cup". When I start my back swing, I am thinking to myself "dollar",and when I start my down swing I am thinking "bills".  That term, "dollar bills", keeps my swing tempo/rhythm where I need it to be. If I have been practicing the right stuff, the physical movements will, (hopefully) fall in line with my swing tempo.

Yeah even though we conceptually know what happens on the downswing, the feels to accomplish the movement can vary from player to player. The trigger could be something with the arms, hips, knees, shoulder or sometimes nothing at all.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah even though we conceptually know what happens on the downswing, the feels to accomplish the movement can vary from player to player. The trigger could be something with the arms, hips, knees, shoulder or sometimes nothing at all.

I am thinking that putting some slight pressure under my left foot is a good feeling to have early in the downswing. Though I could say for a long time that I never even bothered with a trigger for the downswing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't have one to be honest. I pick my spot to start the ball and swing. When I start thinking "Make sure I do this or that", that is when I miss hit shots.

Eric

In the Bag:

Driver - Cobra Bio Cell+ 9.5°

3 Wood - Titleist 980F 15°

5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD F 17°

Irons - Taylormade TP MC 3-PW

Wedges - 50°/56° Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

Putter - Odyssey Versa #1 

I swear 90% of the time it feels like its my head lifting up to see where the ball is going ... not good ... especially on a harder more critical shot ...

I do that all the time. I'll sometimes repeat in my head "somebody else will watch the ball." a couple of times when I'm setting up. Even if I'm playing by myself, chances are I'm still going to see the ball in flight when I do lift my head after impact.

Michelle Wie says "pick a spot on the ball - even just one dimple - and watch it all the way through impact." That helps a lot!

For me, thoughts during my swing typically cause problems. Currently my main piece/focus is maintaining contact between the inside of the upper part of my right arm to my chest during the back swing. That's it, no other thoughts or feels.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Right now its, "I HATE YOU, YOU STUPID GOLFBALL!" :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Sometimes I think about generic non-existant hot babes smiling at me. Sometimes I think everyone is about to be impressed with this shot. I think I hit it better than other guys, and that's why I'm good (I shot a 90 the other day).

Positive, manly thoughts.

Some good thoughts above...

Mine, depends on the day, generally I think of moving my hips, and now try at the same time to keep my shoulders still (nasty OTT!)

:nike:

weight slightly forward

smoooothe

T

E

M

P

O

up and down

That's the only swing thought I allow ... any more during a round is too much

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

As Johnny Miller stated, these are my "WOOD" swing thoughts. (works only one day) I try to find a particular one that works for that day!!!!!!

swing past your chin

push off with your "back" foot

turn through the ball

turn back and turn through

swing around your head (spine)

shoulders turn under the chin

face the target at the finish

weight forward towards target

keep shoulder connected during swing        (from holding a towel under your forward arm during practice swings)

Its an eternal quest. I feel like Indiana Jones on the Lost Crusade!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

weight slightly forward

smoooothe

T

E

M

P

O

up and down

That's the only swing thought I allow ... any more during a round is too much

weight slightly forward at set up or weight slightly forward and throughout the swing?

Weight slightly forward, maybe 60/40 ... helps me keep centered over the ball

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!