IGNORED

Midwest public courses with on-site lodging

Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all.

I'm trying to find a public course with on-site accommodations or at least lodging that is easy walking distance to the course and that is a 2-3 hour drive from Chicago or from Minneapolis. Basically, I'm trying to find something that will accommodate a large-ish group of guys for a weekend and that will require minimum driving other than the drive from the airport to the course.

The handful of courses I've found are all resorts, most of which are just going to be too pricey. Any recommendations? Even if it's a mediocre course with a couple rental cabins...

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still interested, Gull Lake View, between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek in Michigan fit the bill. The villas sleep 4 and are right on the East course. The West course is on the same complex. The courses are OK with some funky holes. There are 2 other courses as part of the complex but they are about a 10 minute drive. They are Stonehedge North and South. Both are very, very nice but have no accomodations.

At the Gull Lake View clubhouse the food is pretty good and there are bars and restaurants across the street. It's about 3 hours from Downtown Chicago.

As far as cost, in the past in early season we 'd pay about $350.00 for 2 nights and 4 rounds of golf. It's a good deal. Food is extra of course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you wanted to go farther south, try Crown Pointe Golf Club in Farmington, Missouri.

Former country club with a clean motel next door is about 60 miles south of St. Louis. You could fly into St. Louis and then either drive or take a shuttle hop to Farmington Regional Airport.

Extras: Crown Pointe Winery (separate operation) and a tiger wildlife preserve are also in the area.

Know it's not just what you asked for, but take a look if you're interested:

http://www.crownpointegolfclub.com/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Eagle Ridge in Galena, IL about 3 hours from Chicago. Never been there, but hear about it all the time. Pheasant Run in St Charles IL, a western suburb of Chicago. I've played there a couple times, decent course. St Andrews is right down the street, so you have a bunch of options.

Quote:

Eagle Ridge in Galena, IL about 3 hours from Chicago. ....

Galena is a stop along some of the Amtrak train routes. Want to include a rustic train ride in your trip?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'll look into them right away.

I did find Eagle Ridge, as I'd heard great things, but I think it's going to be a tad on the pricey side for our needs. Haven't ruled it out though.

The Castle Course at Northern Bay fits the description perfectly. Also is a replica course. Nice lodging and 20 miles north of Wisconsin Dells. Easy access.

here be the link------------ http://www.castleatthebay.com/golf/the-castle-course

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I've played golf at the Pheasant Run resort mentioned earlier and it's a nice course. Also played at Indian Lakes.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/ORDILHF-Hilton-Chicago-Indian-Lakes-Resort-Illinois/index.do

Both places offered good greens fee rates to us non-resort people just to keep the course filled. I can't speak to the room rates, although I have stayed at Pheasant Run years ago when we had a company event there.

Resorts may be the best option if you have a large group and need weekend tee times. Most regular golf courses claim they only go one or two weeks out for scheduling, but of you have enough people for an outing, I guess you can get advance tee times anywhere.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for a great golf getaway in Minnesota with lodging you have to check out Grand View Lodge in Brainerd, MN.  Amazing golf and packages available for any size group of golfing buddy.  My dad brings a group of 8 guys up there every year and the golf is some of the best in the Midwest.

Here is a link to the lodge. http://www.grandviewlodge.com/

Indian Lakes in Bloomingdale, IL - the Hilton is was overpriced.  The place needs to updated.

Try Nippersink Resort in Genoa City, WI.  They have some cheap stay and play packages.  The hotel they have sucks and feels like you are in Amish country, but they also have cabins to rent.  The course is ok.  Great place to drink a lot without having to worry about pissing people off.

Originally Posted by DocWu1948

I've played golf at the Pheasant Run resort mentioned earlier and it's a nice course. Also played at Indian Lakes.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/ORDILHF-Hilton-Chicago-Indian-Lakes-Resort-Illinois/index.do

Both places offered good greens fee rates to us non-resort people just to keep the course filled. I can't speak to the room rates, although I have stayed at Pheasant Run years ago when we had a company event there.

Resorts may be the best option if you have a large group and need weekend tee times. Most regular golf courses claim they only go one or two weeks out for scheduling, but of you have enough people for an outing, I guess you can get advance tee times anywhere.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by funkyfred72

Great place to drink a lot without having to worry about pissing people off.

Fred, I think you've really captured the essence of my quest. :)

We received official word that our 35-year old annual tournament is now no more. So I'm on an even more desperate hunt for the right replacement and have in fact been made the official "relocation manager". A lot of pressure for such a longstanding event.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Fred, I'm definitely following up on Nippersink. It looks like my best lead so far. THANKS A TON! You may be saving my skin.

Yeah, take a look at their website. http://www.nippersinkresort.com/

Not really sure why they call it a resort.  It is not what you would picture a resort to be.  Not really sure the days you are looking to go but just down the road is Doyal's Pub.  Has one of the best friday night fish fry's.

Originally Posted by Mikeup

Fred, I think you've really captured the essence of my quest. :)

We received official word that our 35-year old annual tournament is now no more. So I'm on an even more desperate hunt for the right replacement and have in fact been made the official "relocation manager". A lot of pressure for such a longstanding event.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Fred, I'm definitely following up on Nippersink. It looks like my best lead so far. THANKS A TON! You may be saving my skin.

• 2 years later...

So 3 years later, I'm back on the hunt. We had 3 good years at Great River Road Golf Club in Nauvoo, IL. It was a pain to get to and the accommodations are spartan, but the owners were friendly, highly accommodating, and worked with us to recreate our original 30+ years as closely as possible. Alas, they have felt the bite of the economic downturn as so many have and have put the course up for auction.

I'm still looking into the great recommendations here, but I'm hoping some new folks will weigh in with new ideas too.

Criteria:

On-site accommodations

Reasonable prices (nothing over $300/person for 3 nights and 2 rounds of golf)

Friendly atmosphere (in other words, they won't mind us having a few beers)

Relatively convenient to a major airport

In Ozaukee county there is the Ozaukee Taxi service out of Port Washington that could probably be worked out to transport your group from nearby hotels or motels to the courses, Fire Ridge in Saukville/Grafton, Hawthorne Hills northwest of Saukville, both of which are a few miles from hotels off I-43/hwy-60 in Grafton and several hotels in Port Washington, also close to The Bog (which is probably beyond the budget).

Beyond those, and not considering West Bend, I"ve got nothing with on-site rooms that I know of off hand.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Thanks, treebound. I think shuttles/taxis will be a last resort for us. The post-round socializing and carousing is a big part of our tradition, which is hard to do in a hotel. But at this point, we're considering everything.

There are a couple night spots in downtown Port, plus the harbor to watch the boats or take a charter out of.  One hotel is right on the water, another is at the north end of town across the street from the Allen Edmonds shoe factory. But if you do pick Port Washington then check for their events page to see if anything big is going on in town during the time you plan to be there.

http://www.visitportwashington.com/

http://www.fireridgegc.com/

http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/planningparks/HawthornePark_Main.htm

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/port-washington/pwawi/hoteldetail

http://www.countryinns.com/port-washington-hotel-wi-53074/wiportwa

I just live here, and usually avoid downtown during Fish Day. (world's largest one day fish fry and drunk fest)

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!