IGNORED

Charlie Wi is the last of the stack and tilt...

deronsizemore
Note: This thread is 4707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[blank]

Watching golf today I heard the commentators talking about Charlie Wi and David Toms and Tim Rosaforte say that "Charlie Wi was the last of the stack and tilt... [blank]" Fill in the blank... I didn't catch it.

Surely he didn't indicate that Charlie is the last golfer left using stack and tilt?

i wouldnt be surprised if he said it, SnT isnt the most likable system to these announcers. If he did say it, he probably meant of actual top golfers on tour, Wi is SnT's best player. Wier and Baddeley left

Maybe last of the S&T; folks not to win an event? Bill Lunde and Justin Rose won last year.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shindig

Maybe last of the S&T; folks not to win an event? Bill Lunde and Justin Rose won last year.

Ah, yeah. Good call. That's probably it. Charlie has finished second a lot on the PGA Tour, but won numerous worldwide. I even rewound the coverage and still couldn't make out what he said.

• Administrator

No idea...

A lot of people don't realize that there are a lot of S&T; guys, and not just Charlie Wi.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

No idea...

A lot of people don't realize that there are a lot of S&T; guys, and not just Charlie Wi.

Yeah, that's why I assumed it had to be something else that Rosaforte said since he seems (from my couch anyway) that he does his research and makes sure his t's are crossed and i's are dotted before he does a story. He also hasn't played on tour previously like some of the other bashers and has all these preconceived notions about stack and tilt.

I'm confused to what are peoples issues with it? Who cares if some guy swings the way he does, some things work for some people, others don't. I feel it helps me hit it more solid(HC proves it), no one laughs at jim furyk when he won the fedex cup with his completely 'unorthodox' swing.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I noticed a meme among the announcers about how Wi did things differently, his swing and his narrow putting stance. Plus the remarks on fidgeting. Didn't seem anything like a Sean O'Hair for example. Very annoying. Too much to expect unbiased announcing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Let the results stand for themselves.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Erik posted a video over in the main S&T; thread where Paul McGinley is talking to the British TV commentators about playing with Charlie on the Asian Tour in the early 2000s. They're good friends and he says without any malice that Charlie was a "very average player" -- short hitter, nasty pull hook, mechanical and tentative putter -- who was basically always battling to keep his card. S&T; has made him a better player by several orders of magnitude, someone who can seriously contend on the PGA tour and now has four second place finishes. It would be nice to see him win one. He's pretty average statistically, apart from being a particularly good scrambler. Recently he's been putting much better than usual, which is why he got a shot last weekend. He's apparently a very nice guy who loves the game and practices as hard as anyone out there. I enjoy watching him play, except at the death where it can all start to look a bit shaky.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

He seems to have drifted away from the total S&T; method and incorporated some one plane fundamentals, this could explain the extra distance he's found

He hasn't "drifted away" from "the total S&T; method." Also, he was hitting the ball pretty far at Aronomink last year when he nearly won.

Perhaps you could be more specific. How exactly has he "drifted away" and what specific "one-plane fundamentals" has he incorporated? Do you realize that the S&T; swing is, for all intents and purposes, a "one-plane" swing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

haa. I had to look up Youtube to find out what the heck S&T; was....now I know...I think

Depends on which YouTube video you saw. There are some TV announcers who plainly don't know what it is, either.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Part of this is that the tenets of S & T are now being emphasized by instuctors not under the S&T; umbrella.  I have repeatedly heard players and instuctors using phrases like cover the ball, use the ground as a power source, etc.  S & T mostly tries to identify historically proven concepts, test them against science and provide a framework to learn them in.  For those focused on ball striking, especially with the irons S &T; has a lot of merit.  For those with other priorities, distance etc emphasis on other things, provided you have the talent, John Daly for example, may suit you more.  Commentators hob nob with the golf establishement.  Because of this I feel they are very resistant to ideas outside of the old guard of players and instructors.  From my perspective this is both good and bad.  Some fashionable ideas turn out to be worthless, on the other hand some good ideas get rejected.  Either way I always remind myself that what works for a talented young PGA player, x factor, for example, makes little sense for my middle aged body.

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

[blank]

Watching golf today I heard the commentators talking about Charlie Wi and David Toms and Tim Rosaforte say that "Charlie Wi was the last of the stack and tilt... [blank]" Fill in the blank... I didn't catch it.

Surely he didn't indicate that Charlie is the last golfer left using stack and tilt?

I heard a lot of good things about Wi's game on the weekend. Certainly as many good things as any other player in the field. Any more attention to how great he was playing would have been quite nauseating actually.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I heard a lot of good things about Wi's game on the weekend. Certainly as many good things as any other player in the field. Any more attention to how great he was playing would have been quite nauseating actually.

I agree. They showed Toms and Wi and talked at length about how well they were playing, because, well, they were the only two with a chance to win, really.

Wi played well last year at Aronomink. I hope he does well there again this year. He's worked hard and I hope he's able to get a W.

Note: This thread is 4707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!