Jump to content
IGNORED

Charlie Wi is the last of the stack and tilt...


Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts



Originally Posted by iacas

I agree. They showed Toms and Wi and talked at length about how well they were playing, because, well, they were the only two with a chance to win, really.

Wi played well last year at Aronomink. I hope he does well there again this year. He's worked hard and I hope he's able to get a W.



It was just enough praise that it crossed over into jinx territory. It only took showing two good shots from Appelby before he imploded.

I watched the Sky TV interview (in the S&T; thread) and boring or not, he sounds like a good guy to root for. Like Toms coincidentally, even though I get a sort of "standoffish" vibe from Toms.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

The Stack & Tilt is dead.

It will be superseded later this summer by the Twist & Shout, which was inspired by Jack Hamm turning in a barrel.

Care to explain how it's dead?

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Will the next trend be AJ's Truth?



I think people that don't know much about S&T; view it as a trend. Once you do some more research and look past the gimmicky name that was chosen for this swing, you see that a lot of tour pros and good golfers do a lot of what S&T; teaches, they just don't realize they do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Care to explain how it's dead?

I think people that don't know much about S&T; view it as a trend. Once you do some more research and look past the gimmicky name that was chosen for this swing, you see that a lot of tour pros and good golfers do a lot of what S&T; teaches, they just don't realize they do it.




Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by iacas

He hasn't "drifted away" from "the total S&T; method." Also, he was hitting the ball pretty far at Aronomink last year when he nearly won.

Perhaps you could be more specific. How exactly has he "drifted away" and what specific "one-plane fundamentals" has he incorporated? Do you realize that the S&T; swing is, for all intents and purposes, a "one-plane" swing.



Taken from the S&T; book

Straightening the back leg during the back-swing allows the hips to turn more, which allows the shoulders to also turn more. Just as the left shoulder should turn downward, so should the left hip. This leads to greater hip rotation going back, which creates the potential for more acceleration and power coming. This is a function of the back leg straightening.
Another benefit of the back leg straightening is that it helps you maintain your inclination toward the ball established at address

In the video Charlie maintains the majority of the flex in his right leg "more so with his longer clubs" that he sets at address throughout his swing

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by colin007

i think he was making a funny...





Originally Posted by nuck81





Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, c'mon. The Twist & Shout? Thought it was obvious...



Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or does his back have a lot of "slump" to it at address?  Is this a stack and tilt thing, or is it just Wi's anatomy that causes his shoulders to look slumped forward?

I ask because I think I've come to the realization that I swing a little better with a flatter back (shoulders back/up, butt sticking out a bit rather than tucked under).  What are the pros/cons of back "flatness"?

-Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

Straightening the back leg during the back-swing allows the hips to turn more, which allows the shoulders to also turn more.

What's your point John?

Have you not read the hundreds of posts where "straightening" has been defined as "decreasing the flex"? By "straightening" they don't mean going to fully straight.

Originally Posted by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

Is it just me or does his back have a lot of "slump" to it at address?  Is this a stack and tilt thing, or is it just Wi's anatomy that causes his shoulders to look slumped forward?

I ask because I think I've come to the realization that I swing a little better with a flatter back (shoulders back/up, butt sticking out a bit rather than tucked under).  What are the pros/cons of back "flatness"?


If that works for you, great. Charlie is kind of "slumped" because that's the posture that works for him. You don't come into contact with the ball with your butt sticking out and your back really straight and your shoulders pulled back, so there's not really a "need" to set up that way. If you pull your shoulders back you change the radius to the ball.

At the threat of being serious, I've tried to keep the answer short. Essentially... he's a little more "slumped" because that's a natural, comfortable, relaxed position for him. Which is why if your position works for you, keep doing it. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having watched Wie up close at Colonial, I earlier made a comment that his S&T; swing had changed a little (or words to that effect -- and I was comparing to his TV commercial for S&T; and some earlier youtube vids.)  All swings have slight differences and unique features.  In Wie's case, I was struck by how much flex he kept in his right leg recently when he was blasting a shot.  He was hitting it long.  Yes, as all must do, his right leg straightens a bit on the backswing, but he seems to be pushing into the ground with both legs, really loading up on his backswing, and his right leg almost seems more flexed than many non-S&T; players.

Different people can do different things to create power.  In my own case, restricting a little of the straightening of the right leg actually creates more power and a high swing speed.  Why?  Who knows.  Some people can snap their hips and hit good shots and need less hip turn, some do better with more hip turn.  When I turn mine too much, I am not fast enough on the downswing and clearing move to get forward sufficiently to hit more powerful shots, so for me, length is related to pushing into the ground and restricting the hips a little, which also maintains more right leg angle.  Finally, another key to all this is that the angle of the right leg during the bvackswing should not shift more upright when viewed from face on.  The right leg, whether it straightens more or less, should always maintain its lean toward the target.  Just my observations...  I tried for a year or so to increase my hip turn and lost a lot of distance.  Only in the last several weeks has that distance returned and in my case, restricting and feeling the loading more was the key.  It could be totally different for others.  To me the really important things in S&T; are found in better and more centered balance, shifting left as fast and early as possible, and a steeper shoulder turn on the backswing (all of which promote a more reliable impact position.)  I can slide forward and clear faster with a full shoulder turn by restricting my hip turn.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by RC

Having watched Wie up close at Colonial, I earlier made a comment that his S&T; swing had changed a little (or words to that effect -- and I was comparing to his TV commercial for S&T; and some earlier youtube vids.)  All swings have slight differences and unique features.  In Wie's case, I was struck by how much flex he kept in his right leg recently when he was blasting a shot.  He was hitting it long.  Yes, as all must do, his right leg straightens a bit on the backswing, but he seems to be pushing into the ground with both legs, really loading up on his backswing, and his right leg almost seems more flexed than many non-S&T; players.

Different people can do different things to create power.  In my own case, restricting a little of the straightening of the right leg actually creates more power and a high swing speed.  Why?  Who knows.  Some people can snap their hips and hit good shots and need less hip turn, some do better with more hip turn.  When I turn mine too much, I am not fast enough on the downswing and clearing move to get forward sufficiently to hit more powerful shots, so for me, length is related to pushing into the ground and restricting the hips a little, which also maintains more right leg angle.  Finally, another key to all this is that the angle of the right leg during the bvackswing should not shift more upright when viewed from face on.  The right leg, whether it straightens more or less, should always maintain its lean toward the target.  Just my observations...  I tried for a year or so to increase my hip turn and lost a lot of distance.  Only in the last several weeks has that distance returned and in my case, restricting and feeling the loading more was the key.  It could be totally different for others.  To me the really important things in S&T; are found in better and more centered balance, shifting left as fast and early as possible, and a steeper shoulder turn on the backswing (all of which promote a more reliable impact position.)  I can slide forward and clear faster with a full shoulder turn by restricting my hip turn.



I know she's kind of manish from a certain angle, but if you're really commenting on video of Wie, you're in the wrong thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops...

Charlie would have been clearer.  Michelle is someone whose swing I have never seen in person, only TV.  Sorry for the miss-statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I have known people that recover from cancer as well. These kind of comments are why other people are saying you are being kind of stupid in saying these kinds of things. Again, it’s about more than you and your friends/family.
    • This is probably the most problematic statement. 🤣
    • I have known people, and I have known statistics, where people survive a really nasty car accident without wearing a seatbelt. But they are a very, very, very small percentage.
    • What facts do you have to support this. There are people who are not fine. Don't judge what your outcome will be just because you only see the immediate people around you are fine.  My aunt was close to being put on a ventilator, she was hospitalized. Yes she is OK now, but she was lucky.  You are willing to accept the risk of being a carrier of the virus? You accept the possible harm you will cause to people around you? How selfish and cruel of you. 
    • 1.  True.  Ignorance is the lack of understanding.  I agree with you. 2.  You think it is stupid to not get it.  I'm ok with that.  I think it is a waste of my time.  I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.  And yes, I know everybody is different on the reaction.  I'm willing to accept the risk.  And yes, if I wasn't feeling pressure, I would not get it.  So maybe I shouldn't be so general.  You are correct, I don't respect the opinion of deplorable people.  As long as it is not deplorable/against any kind of law. We all have different opinions.  It really is ok.  No reason to get all up in arms about it.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Adlamb
      Adlamb
      (46 years old)
    2. Baba
      Baba
      (45 years old)
    3. Healup
      Healup
      (49 years old)
    4. SophieWaggner83
      SophieWaggner83
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...