IGNORED

Charlie Wi is the last of the stack and tilt...

deronsizemore
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I agree. They showed Toms and Wi and talked at length about how well they were playing, because, well, they were the only two with a chance to win, really.

Wi played well last year at Aronomink. I hope he does well there again this year. He's worked hard and I hope he's able to get a W.

It was just enough praise that it crossed over into jinx territory. It only took showing two good shots from Appelby before he imploded.

I watched the Sky TV interview (in the S&T; thread) and boring or not, he sounds like a good guy to root for. Like Toms coincidentally, even though I get a sort of "standoffish" vibe from Toms.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Will the next trend be AJ's Truth?

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

The Stack & Tilt is dead.

It will be superseded later this summer by the Twist & Shout, which was inspired by Jack Hamm turning in a barrel.

Care to explain how it's dead?

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Will the next trend be AJ's Truth?

I think people that don't know much about S&T; view it as a trend. Once you do some more research and look past the gimmicky name that was chosen for this swing, you see that a lot of tour pros and good golfers do a lot of what S&T; teaches, they just don't realize they do it.

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Care to explain how it's dead?

I think people that don't know much about S&T; view it as a trend. Once you do some more research and look past the gimmicky name that was chosen for this swing, you see that a lot of tour pros and good golfers do a lot of what S&T; teaches, they just don't realize they do it.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by colin007

i think he was making a funny...

Yeah, c'mon. The Twist & Shout? Thought it was obvious...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

He hasn't "drifted away" from "the total S&T; method." Also, he was hitting the ball pretty far at Aronomink last year when he nearly won.

Perhaps you could be more specific. How exactly has he "drifted away" and what specific "one-plane fundamentals" has he incorporated? Do you realize that the S&T; swing is, for all intents and purposes, a "one-plane" swing.

Taken from the S&T; book

Straightening the back leg during the back-swing allows the hips to turn more, which allows the shoulders to also turn more. Just as the left shoulder should turn downward, so should the left hip. This leads to greater hip rotation going back, which creates the potential for more acceleration and power coming. This is a function of the back leg straightening.
Another benefit of the back leg straightening is that it helps you maintain your inclination toward the ball established at address

In the video Charlie maintains the majority of the flex in his right leg "more so with his longer clubs" that he sets at address throughout his swing

Is it just me or does his back have a lot of "slump" to it at address?  Is this a stack and tilt thing, or is it just Wi's anatomy that causes his shoulders to look slumped forward?

I ask because I think I've come to the realization that I swing a little better with a flatter back (shoulders back/up, butt sticking out a bit rather than tucked under).  What are the pros/cons of back "flatness"?

-Andrew

• Administrator

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

Straightening the back leg during the back-swing allows the hips to turn more, which allows the shoulders to also turn more.

What's your point John?

Have you not read the hundreds of posts where "straightening" has been defined as "decreasing the flex"? By "straightening" they don't mean going to fully straight.

Originally Posted by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

Is it just me or does his back have a lot of "slump" to it at address?  Is this a stack and tilt thing, or is it just Wi's anatomy that causes his shoulders to look slumped forward?

I ask because I think I've come to the realization that I swing a little better with a flatter back (shoulders back/up, butt sticking out a bit rather than tucked under).  What are the pros/cons of back "flatness"?

If that works for you, great. Charlie is kind of "slumped" because that's the posture that works for him. You don't come into contact with the ball with your butt sticking out and your back really straight and your shoulders pulled back, so there's not really a "need" to set up that way. If you pull your shoulders back you change the radius to the ball.

At the threat of being serious, I've tried to keep the answer short. Essentially... he's a little more "slumped" because that's a natural, comfortable, relaxed position for him. Which is why if your position works for you, keep doing it. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having watched Wie up close at Colonial, I earlier made a comment that his S&T; swing had changed a little (or words to that effect -- and I was comparing to his TV commercial for S&T; and some earlier youtube vids.)  All swings have slight differences and unique features.  In Wie's case, I was struck by how much flex he kept in his right leg recently when he was blasting a shot.  He was hitting it long.  Yes, as all must do, his right leg straightens a bit on the backswing, but he seems to be pushing into the ground with both legs, really loading up on his backswing, and his right leg almost seems more flexed than many non-S&T; players.

Different people can do different things to create power.  In my own case, restricting a little of the straightening of the right leg actually creates more power and a high swing speed.  Why?  Who knows.  Some people can snap their hips and hit good shots and need less hip turn, some do better with more hip turn.  When I turn mine too much, I am not fast enough on the downswing and clearing move to get forward sufficiently to hit more powerful shots, so for me, length is related to pushing into the ground and restricting the hips a little, which also maintains more right leg angle.  Finally, another key to all this is that the angle of the right leg during the bvackswing should not shift more upright when viewed from face on.  The right leg, whether it straightens more or less, should always maintain its lean toward the target.  Just my observations...  I tried for a year or so to increase my hip turn and lost a lot of distance.  Only in the last several weeks has that distance returned and in my case, restricting and feeling the loading more was the key.  It could be totally different for others.  To me the really important things in S&T; are found in better and more centered balance, shifting left as fast and early as possible, and a steeper shoulder turn on the backswing (all of which promote a more reliable impact position.)  I can slide forward and clear faster with a full shoulder turn by restricting my hip turn.

RC

Originally Posted by RC

Having watched Wie up close at Colonial, I earlier made a comment that his S&T; swing had changed a little (or words to that effect -- and I was comparing to his TV commercial for S&T; and some earlier youtube vids.)  All swings have slight differences and unique features.  In Wie's case, I was struck by how much flex he kept in his right leg recently when he was blasting a shot.  He was hitting it long.  Yes, as all must do, his right leg straightens a bit on the backswing, but he seems to be pushing into the ground with both legs, really loading up on his backswing, and his right leg almost seems more flexed than many non-S&T; players.

Different people can do different things to create power.  In my own case, restricting a little of the straightening of the right leg actually creates more power and a high swing speed.  Why?  Who knows.  Some people can snap their hips and hit good shots and need less hip turn, some do better with more hip turn.  When I turn mine too much, I am not fast enough on the downswing and clearing move to get forward sufficiently to hit more powerful shots, so for me, length is related to pushing into the ground and restricting the hips a little, which also maintains more right leg angle.  Finally, another key to all this is that the angle of the right leg during the bvackswing should not shift more upright when viewed from face on.  The right leg, whether it straightens more or less, should always maintain its lean toward the target.  Just my observations...  I tried for a year or so to increase my hip turn and lost a lot of distance.  Only in the last several weeks has that distance returned and in my case, restricting and feeling the loading more was the key.  It could be totally different for others.  To me the really important things in S&T; are found in better and more centered balance, shifting left as fast and early as possible, and a steeper shoulder turn on the backswing (all of which promote a more reliable impact position.)  I can slide forward and clear faster with a full shoulder turn by restricting my hip turn.

I know she's kind of manish from a certain angle, but if you're really commenting on video of Wie, you're in the wrong thread.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Oops...

Charlie would have been clearer.  Michelle is someone whose swing I have never seen in person, only TV.  Sorry for the miss-statement.

RC

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!