IGNORED

Longest 3 wood on the market?

Note: This thread is 4559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there any particular model of 3 wood that surpasses the rest in the distance category? I've always hit my 3 wood nearly as long or just as long as my driver with four times the accuracy, and I use it on the tee probably 75% of the time. Right now I have an older Cobra F-Speed with a regular steel shaft that I picked up at a used golf store for $19. I've heard that the Adams Speedline F-11 is long, and when I tried the Burner 2.0, I picked up about 12 yards over my current distance.

Did you pick up 12 yards according to the launch monitor, a driving range, or did you try it on the course? If it was launch monitor, did you hit both yours and theirs, or did you just see that theirs was listed as 12 yards past yours? I've seen tons of different lofts on 3-woods, so be wary of that. If you're using yours primarily on a tee, and you have a good swing speed, you might want one of the 2-woods that are listed as either 3, "3 strong," or "3+" woods. These are typically 13 degrees, with the lowest I've seen being an 11.5 degree Callaway model that Phil Mickelson used in the first two rounds of the 2008 U.S. Open. If I had to bet on who had the longest 3-wood, all other things (shaft, loft, etc) being equal, I would bet on Tour Edge Exotics. This is not a scientific study by any stretch of the imagination.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my humble opinion, I am staggered as to how long the Burner SF 2.0 3W is hitting. And bullet straight for me. It's just such a beast I don't think I could promote it enough. I strongly suggest everyone give it a go.

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

In my humble opinion, I am staggered as to how long the Burner SF 2.0 3W is hitting. And bullet straight for me. It's just such a beast I don't think I could promote it enough. I strongly suggest everyone give it a go.

It's also 3/4" over standard as well.

I believe the Tour-Edge Exotics XCG3 13 degree is the longest fairway I've hit.  The R7 and BurnerTP from TM are both fairly long.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Have heard that the Tour Edge Exotic and Adams F11 woods are pretty long... also have heard some good stuff about some of the TaylorMade woods.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I've hit pretty long shots with my X-Tour and Launcher, but I suspect the X-Tour is a smidgen longer. The shaft is longer and I think it's a degree stronger too, even though they're both listed as 15 degrees.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you're looking for longest distance off the tee you should demo the Titleist 910 FD.  It's really designed for off the tee and not very easy to hit off the deck.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I've recently hit a few different 3 woods on a launch monitor and at a local demo days. In my opinion the "longest" off the tee 3 woods would be some of the new Titanium 3 woods. They all have a larger head size and usually have a lil longer shaft as well, and are pretty lightweight. When I recently upgraded my 3 wood I went with the Taylormade R-11 3-wood because I was looking for something that would be a little easier to hit off the deck and I liked the slim head design and 15.5 deg loft on my R-11 as well. But, from your post it seems your looking for a 3 wood that you will primarly hit from the tee box. I would say you ought to try and demo the following fairway woods and see which you like the best: Adams F-11 Ti, Titleist 910FD, Taylormade Superfast 2.0, and the Taylormade R-11 Titanium. Those four should all be long off the tee.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Ti model is longer, and you can actually see a difference...I saw around 5 to 7 yards after demoing each for 45 days each. (10 rounds a month).  I also demoed the XCG3 Tour Edge for 8 rounds - definitely long as well, but feels very head heavy (some good golfers like that).  Both have very live faces and noticeable results.  The F11 Ti feels easier to hit to me, and much more forgiving in my opinion.  The Tour Edge sets up nice off of the tee, but needs a brisk swing to make it work.  The other 2 clubs I tried were the Burner Superfast and the Ping K15. The Burner has a heavy feel as well, and the K15 balloons like crazy.

I'm at 95 mph but known as a smooth tempo guy, and only hit my Driver 240 (carry).  I hit the F11 Ti and the XCG  210 yds, other 3 Woods 200 (these are carry distances). Hope that helps...

As many have already said it really depends on the loft of the 3 wood. The shaft has to be right as well but if you get one make sure it is a Ti model, there really is a difference (which is why the cost more). Standard 3 wood loft is 15*'s while a strong 3 wood is 13*'s, there are other lofts but those are the standard ones...

Note: This thread is 4559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!