IGNORED

The face palm thread.

BostonSully
Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's nothing quite like air-mailing a green (or coming up short) after a great swing, only to realize you pulled the wrong club out of your bag.  Straight from birdie to facepalm .

• Upvote 2

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by delav

There's nothing quite like air-mailing a green (or coming up short) after a great swing, only to realize you pulled the wrong club out of your bag.  Straight from birdie to facepalm.

LOL.  I just did something equally careless this past weekend.  Checked the board and it was a 165 yard par 3 from the blue tees.  Pulled out my 7i (even double-checked it to make sure).  Made the stroke, the contact was solid and crisp.  Watched the ball sail directly on line with the pin.  My ball carries the green, the rough behind the green and disappears into the trees.  WTF?  I forgot we moved up to the white tees because my client had his young son playing with us.  The hole played only 131 yards from the whites.  Oops.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

This was from my first round this year:

It was on the 4th hole par 4 333 yards, at this local course. I was about 50 yards from the green with a small pond between me. I take a shot with my sand wedge and top it right into the pond. I drop another ball down and top that one into the water also. I ended up shooting a +7 on that hole.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I was playing at my second club, which is renown links course which penalises anything that goes off the fairway as sand dunes and bush is usually about 5m off the fairway. Anyway had -2 on the front nine(much easier nine) and proceeded to tee up on the 10th which is a 400m par 4 usually playing straight into a sea breeze with a landing are of about 20m and dead left/right. I then managed to hook 2 balls into the left bush and found the second and made a 7 on the hole. I finished with a +10 46 on that nine and blew away a possible great round(a skill I have become very good at).

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I've been trying to consistently get into the 70's, or at least that is my goal for the summer.  So i'm coming down the last hole earlier this week, and i'm 7 over for the day (par 71).  I get my approach on the last green in regulation, but on the lower tier.  I'm thinking, uphill, 3 putts gets me a 79, and I proceed to four putt......

Then, just yesterday, I'm 10 over with two holes left.  The 8th (played the back first) is a ridiculously easy par 5, and after a good drive I stuff the approach about 3 feet for an eagle.  Now i'm thinking, sweet par the last to get a 79.  Get onto the green in two, and I proceed to 3 putt....

This really gets old....

In the Maxfli X Carry Bag

Driver- Callaway FT-3 Fusion- Stiff
3 wood- Titleist 904F
Hybrid- Ping G10- 21 degreesIrons-4-PW Titleist DCI's Wedges- 52, 56, 60 Classic 11'sPutter- Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I played with a buddy the other week and we got paired with these 2 stoners. One of them duck hooked his ball into some trees and we all were looking for it and my friend found a ball and asked "Are you playing a Pinnacle?" and the guy responds "No, I'm playing a Pinnacle"....moment of silence, then his friend tells him he's an idiot. Facepalm. He then proceeds to try and dig this ball out form under a tree, and after 4 or 5 hacks at it, gets it out a couple feet. Then tops the next shot back into the trees. Facepalm 2

hahah

now that is some funny stuff

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

Yes I have pulled my upside down 9 iron (and upside down 6 iron) more than once.

Originally Posted by delav

There's nothing quite like air-mailing a green (or coming up short) after a great swing, only to realize you pulled the wrong club out of your bag.  Straight from birdie to facepalm.

Butch

On Tuesday I was playing one of the area's tougher courses with my dad.  After weeks of struggling with my swing, I had finally worked things out and was striking the ball really well.  We get to the 16th hole, which is a dogleg par 5 that sets up perfectly for me.  In fact, I eagled it the previous week.  It's a pretty tight tee shot, so instead of swinging away, I decide just take a "nice and easy swing".  Of course, I snap hook it in the water.  I tee up another ball and take my normal swing...perfect drive exactly where I need to be to get home in two.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Yes I have pulled my upside down 9 iron (and upside down 6 iron) more than once.

Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy from an earlier post (mine).  Last night after a long day of work I played a loop of 4 holes on my course near dusk practicing with a few balls on each shot.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a delicate 60 yard shot to fly higher and check faster with my 58 degree wedge.  After 3 shots, I realized I had my 52 in my hand... which is even a different finish than my 58.  Clubs... check, swing... check, brain... apparently still in the trunk.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Hosel rocket into the water on a par 3 during a tournament with 2 backed up groups watching. Not the worst thing I guess, but embarrasing nonetheless.

1) "This should be an easy 9-iron onto the green." *Hits a 6-iron way over the green.* The only time (that I can remember) that I've confused my 9 and my 6 -- I'm always very careful with that. 2) First game of golf I ever played was on a par-3 course. The first hole I push sliced a long iron off the fairway and onto the neighboring hole's green. My first golf shot hit the wrong green. Not sure if that's awesome or face palm-worthy. :-P

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Lucky me,  I pull out my driver on a par 3.  Proceed to whack the ball .... LOL.  Needless to say my playing partners were paralytic with laughter.  The funny thing I was standing over my ball with the club in my hand glancing at the target and saying to myself.. boy that target sure is close LOL.  Maybe I should listen to my inner voice.  ROFL.

Keep your head in the game Boyo!!! LOL

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

I always love when people injure themselves doing stupid things and then can't play. ex. I was showing off juggling the ball at a backed up hole with a bunch of older guys around me, everyone commenting on it and then I try to hit the ball between my legs and smash my ankle bone so hard it sends me to the ground rolling in pain as well as ruining my swing for the rest of the day.

Rage backfires are always facepalm moments too. ex. My ex golf pro dad who is irritated at un experienced group in front of who don't fix ball marks or repair divots all day, then he misses a putt and tosses his putter into the air which lands and digs an unrepairable hole straight into the green not far from the cup.

• Upvote 1

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have lots of "oops, wrong club!" moments.

Most of them are in scrambles but I once hit my 6i thinking I grabbed the 9 and just about killed the group on the tee box behind the green.

In another scramble I get to a par 3, look at the yardage for our tees and pull my 170 yard club.  I hit an absolutely pure shot, perfect draw...but it goes long!  I am still proud of the shot and say "I hit my 170 club and it went long"  All my partners said "we said it was 150!"..the tee box was moved up one...that was a facepalm!

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I don't get how people mistake a 9 iron with a 6.......there's a fairly noticable difference in the lofts

My facepalm story was from a matchplay team event from a few years ago. 7 players per team with one on one matchplay off scratch. For my 2nd shot to a par 4 adjacent to the clubhouse and carpark I proceed to top my 2nd shot which hits the trunk of a small tree 40 yards ahead of me, shoots left and hits the wall of the clubhouse, bounces over a van and 2 cars and proceeds to roll down a path. I end up right in front of the next tee box with the match in front of me and the 20 of so spectators laughing hysterically. I then proceed to get up and down from there (about 100 yards away) to half the hole in par. I showed them

get to smack talking with friends and don't pay much attention.  Its not that hard to do.  You usually don't notice the loft until after the shot when you set the club down again...then you facepalm.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I was playing really well Friday morning, get to the 8th and the grounds crew was mowing the fairway. They pull out of the way so i can tee off, now with 2 extra guys watching me, I top it right into the pond directly in front of the tee box. Being and idiot i tee another right up again, now frustrated and shanked it right into the woods. Finally im hitting 5 off the tee box on a par 4 i end up with a 9 and it totally killed my momentum.

Playing a 27 hole course a few days ago. We were on the 9 we hadnt played more than 1-2x ever just because its the back 9 of the 18 hole course and we never play 1 8 here.  Anyway we play the first hole and I shot an 8 on a par 4 . Then we go to drive to the next hole and the path splits in like 5 directions. The next hole was a 150 yd par3 so we pull up to a 150 yard par3. I top it into the water and get a 5, my friend pars it. Then when we go to move on we realize that we just played the 7th hole of a different course and have to drive back around and it took us like 5 mins to find the right hole. We get there and I hit the green and get a Par my friend gets a 5 and then he ... Haha worked out well for me I guess though lol!

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!