IGNORED

Need some Driver shaft advice.

Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I won a 9.5* Burner Superfast 2.0 (Brand New) at a demo day in the long drive competition, and wanted to go ahead and make it usable. I've currently got an R9 460 (10.5*) with a TM graphiced RIP 70s in it that plays about 45". I'm having a couple problems with my old setup that I wanted to fix with the new club.

1) The spin was alittle high. I am getting around 4500 RPM with the current set up and about a 14-15* launch angle.

2) If I put alittle extra into my swing I tend to get a bit of a pull, even when I make solid contact. (Might be a swing flaw, but I was thinking I might go for a lower torque shaft too, as my SS is around 115-118)

Any help you could give is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm a poor medical student so buying a 300-400 dollar shaft is pretty much a no :).

Thanks!

From what ive read a lot of people thin the r9 is as good or better then any of the newer models.

If i were you Id just sell that puppy and wait til your a rich doctor before you get a new driver :P

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

kinda tough to say EXACTLY what you might need, and i am not a fitter by any means...BUT i fight high spin just like you

my thoughts:

*the shaft in that new SF 2.0 will do nothing for you. Its too light and more than likely  not stiff enough for you w a SS around 115.

*the SF head isnt exactly a low spin head either or low launch

reducing spin on your driver is what i fight the most

things i have tried and been somewhat successfull

heavier shaft (in the low to mid 70's) and a little stiffer than stiff, not quite X for me (im in the 108-111 SS range)

lower lofted head

choose a shaft w a high kick point and stiffer tip section

i am using an FT tour 8.5º w a PJX Graphite 7C3 6.0 shaft

so far so good

very low spin, MUCH MUCH lower launch angle than any driver i have used...and this is a higher launch head too

you can buy ANY high end shaft as a one time pull for about $100

i have used the following "high end" shafts and havent paid more than $99 for any of them

*Diamana White board

*Diamana kai'li

*OBAN Devotion

*Matrix F7M Limited

*PJX 7C3

also tried some great "budget wise" shafts for under $50

*Graffaloy Pro Launch Red

*Matrix "orange crush" MFS 65N

*Graffaloy Pro Launch Red AXIS

*Graphite Designs Aura RED

my fav's are the Aura Red and the PJX 7C3

the white board was nice, but not worth all the hype it gets

if your interested, i still have the Graffaloy PL Red and the Matrix Orange crush MFS 65N's in my office

the Graffaloy is a one time pull and the Matrix is brand new

PM me if you want one, ill get rid of em on the cheap (both long enough for a driver)

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Originally Posted by enis750

kinda tough to say EXACTLY what you might need, and i am not a fitter by any means...BUT i fight high spin just like you

my thoughts:

*the shaft in that new SF 2.0 will do nothing for you. Its too light and more than likely  not stiff enough for you w a SS around 115.

*the SF head isnt exactly a low spin head either or low launch

reducing spin on your driver is what i fight the most

things i have tried and been somewhat successfull

heavier shaft (in the low to mid 70's) and a little stiffer than stiff, not quite X for me (im in the 108-111 SS range)

lower lofted head

choose a shaft w a high kick point and stiffer tip section

i am using an FT tour 8.5º w a PJX Graphite 7C3 6.0 shaft

so far so good

very low spin, MUCH MUCH lower launch angle than any driver i have used...and this is a higher launch head too

you can buy ANY high end shaft as a one time pull for about $100

i have used the following "high end" shafts and havent paid more than $99 for any of them

*Diamana White board

*Diamana kai'li

*OBAN Devotion

*Matrix F7M Limited

*PJX 7C3

also tried some great "budget wise" shafts for under $50

*Graffaloy Pro Launch Red

*Matrix "orange crush" MFS 65N

*Graffaloy Pro Launch Red AXIS

*Graphite Designs Aura RED

my fav's are the Aura Red and the PJX 7C3

the white board was nice, but not worth all the hype it gets

if your interested, i still have the Graffaloy PL Red and the Matrix Orange crush MFS 65N's in my office

the Graffaloy is a one time pull and the Matrix is brand new

PM me if you want one, ill get rid of em on the cheap (both long enough for a driver)

Thanks for the help!

Because I won it at a demo day I did get to try it out without actually unwraping mine. The current shaft is pretty terrible for me, besides being too long, its also way too soft and low kick.

You kind of echoed my thoughts on the subject. I'm hoping the 2.0 head will play similar to the R9 460 with maybe a tad lower launch and spin, due to the decreased loft, plus it looks snazzy :P.

With regards to the Aura Red and some of the others, do you find the torque to be an issue?

Most times when you win something at a demo day or tournament they will let you trade it for something else of comparable value as long as it's still new.  My cousin won a driver at a tournament and it was a R flex but he uses an S, the pro shop let him swap it out.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Most times when you win something at a demo day or tournament they will let you trade it for something else of comparable value as long as it's still new.  My cousin won a driver at a tournament and it was a R flex but he uses an S, the pro shop let him swap it out.

It was the Golf Digest "Experience Tour" Demo day so there wasn't really anywhere to trade it in unfortunately... If that makes sense. I was looking to get a 9.5* head anyways because of the aforementioned problems, then this thing fell into my lap :).

I have no advice here whatsoever, but had to chuckle at the irony of winning a driver at a long drive competition.    I've played in a number of charity or similar tournaments and it seems that the prize for long drive is always a driver.   Why do tournament committees do this?   If you're winning a long drive event, you most likely already have a driver that is working well for you.      Give a putter to the long drive winner, and the driver to the closest to the pin winner!

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AS0009

The Arthur Xtreme Engineering shaft are very good and not that much. I went to a clubfitting  school at Maltby last fall and I was totally impressed with the AXE shaft!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!