Sign in to follow this  
newtogolf

Adjustable Woods and Rules of Golf

Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 posts / 1187 viewsLast Reply

Friend was telling me he was playing a round with another mutual friend and two strangers.  My friend was slicing the ball a bit with his driver but hitting his other clubs okay.  Rather than mess with his swing he took out his Titleist wrench and adjusted the driver from neutral to draw.  After he hit his next drive (straight btw) one of the guys told our other friend to make sure he takes a penalty since he adjusted the driver mid-round and hit with it.   Was wondering if and what the penalty is for that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Quote:
4-2. Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material
a. Playing Characteristics Changed

During a stipulated round , the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means.

Penalty is two strokes per hole affected, max penalty four strokes, for stroke play if you do not make a stroke.  You must also immediately declare the club out of play for the rest of the round or you are DQ.  If you make a stroke with the adjusted club, you are DQ.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Friend was telling me he was playing a round with another mutual friend and two strangers.  My friend was slicing the ball a bit with his driver but hitting his other clubs okay.  Rather than mess with his swing he took out his Titleist wrench and adjusted the driver from neutral to draw.  After he hit his next drive (straight btw) one of the guys told our other friend to make sure he takes a penalty since he adjusted the driver mid-round and hit with it.   Was wondering if and what the penalty is for that.

If you guys had any wagers on then he lost any bets he was involved with.  Since his penalty was disqualification for any tournament play, in a casual round you have to decide what seems fair to your group.  What he did is considered a major no-no under the rules.

Thanks guys, I wasn't there.  My friend with the Titleist was playing with a mutual friend and the marhsall paired them up with another two-some who obviously knew the rules better than my friends.  My friend scoffed at the "supposed" rule til I told him what you both responded with.  Now he's sulking since the reason he bought the Titleist driver was it's adjustability.  Told him he can adjust it, just not once he starts the round, he'll get over it.

Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!