IGNORED

Adams CB2 vs Mizuno JPX 800 Pro

Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Turns out that the CB2 that I had tested was +2 degrees up!

Now that I've swung the two clubs with standard loft/lie I almost have a bit of a dilemma. KBS shafts seem lighter than the DG XP S300 and I like that. But the feel on the JPX 800 Pros was just amazing. I hit them both equally well.

The simulator showed the Mizuno doing some crazy slice but the guy working there said that it was doing the same thing to him on shots he knew were fine. The CB2 was slightly straighter but that makes me wonder if they were really a bit off. I think that the simulator just overemphasized the amount of spin on the Mizuno's and maybe I had a bit less spin with the CB2's.

Now I have this little bit of doubt in the back of my head. The silly looking simulator shots with the Mizuno's felt so nice that they couldn't have been as bad as that thing said.

Mizuno still has the edge.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Will the shop let ya take out a demo 6 iron in both the Mizuno and the Adams irons? I think that taking them to the range will give you a real world test and finalize your choice. I personally, don't like hitting off mats and get much better realworld feedback off grass.

rustyredcab,

I also switched from a set of Fusions that I had purchased new in 2005. It was kinda funny reading your comparision between your Fusions and the 800 pros, because distance control was also very difficult for me with the Fusions. I couldnt do punch shots or bump and runs with the Fusions and have any sort of distance control. I am much more consistant now with the 800 pro's, and yes,.... you are right about the addiction of the sound and feel of good shots with the 800 pros.

I went back to swing some more and settled on the Mizuno's. I tried punch shots that felt just as amazing as a well struck full swing. Compared to the CB2 that had standard specs, the Mizuno had the feel. The CB2 was light but that was probably due to the different shafts. They had similar shots but the JPX 800 Pros just had something going for them that made me feel like they could be a solid long-term set of clubs.

They should be here next week just in time for a maiden voyage in Mesquite.

Thanks for everyone's advice and input!

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

I'm also curious since I'm very close to getting the JPX 800 Pros.  Just demoed a full set yesterday.  Liked them a lot.  My local shop staff showed me the CB2s and the A12s and said they were the best comparison to the Mizunos, but did say that Adams is phasing out the CB2s very soon.  I definitely noticed a smaller head on the CB2s compared to the Mizunos, but they still are a great looking iron.  I'm going to see if I can demo the Adams.  Should help my decision.

If you can swing a CB2 and a JPX 800 Pro back to back then you'll feel a difference. At this stage of playing experience I'm finding that the clubs do what they are supposed to do.. its just the little things that stand out. For me it was feel. Any distance gained is usually from silly strong lofts or shaft length. CB2's and JPX 800 Pros are identical with regards to lofts I believe. I've heard that the Mizuno's are flatter by a degree but a golf store employee said that that is only in comparison to the JPX 800 (non-pro); also I believe that the Mizuno's are .25" shorter.

Do your digging.. the specs don't matter unless you're making your change based on those differences. Typically we just swing everything and the best feeling club is the one we choose, regardless of specs.

--Side note: Mesquite trip cancelled due to Father's Day and the fact that my clubs arrive next Monday.. the first day of Summer semester.. doh! I'll post a review on here when I get some swings in them.

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

I went through the same process a couple months ago. I ended up going with the cb2s, mostly because I like a slimmer blade looking club as opposed to a game improvement looking club, like the jpx

Originally Posted by cnullgolfer

I went through the same process a couple months ago. I ended up going with the cb2s, mostly because I like a slimmer blade looking club as opposed to a game improvement looking club, like the jpx

What shaft did you get fitted for?

After a bit more play, I'd say the JPX-800 Pros are the same length or even a little shorter than my Callaway Fusions. They seem more consistent length. I could really jump on the Fusions, sometimes on purpose, and stretch a 7-iron an extra ten yards. And no, that 200 yard 7-iron was not me. It was the wind. I was trying to make the point that I had no idea how long they were because of the howling winds. I try to hit my 7-iron 150 -155 carry.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Clubs are in and they look amazing. I don't want to hit them.. and I hate that when I do hit them, it will be off of mats. ugggh.

More to follow. (SW comes tomorrow)

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

JPX 800 Pros are just as sweet as they were when I demo'ed them. Such a smooth feeling. I set up for a draw naturally and it actually draws quite nicely. I can tell that these clubs have opened up many more options for me with regards to work-ability, feel, and confidence. I was hitting the sweet spot on practically every shot and the few that were off still had enough forgiveness to go in the right direction.

Very happy so far. I had to take a gamble on eBay on one of those too good to be true deals and it paid off. Saved about $300 on the clubs from an authorized re-seller. Once I take them out to the course with the new MP T-10 wedge I will be getting today I'll post some more.

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

Great to hear.  I pick my Mizunos up today at the shop.  Can't wait to get out.  Good job with the Ebay thing...I've picked up a few clubs (brand new) and have saved a nice chunk of change.

Currently "growing into" my JPX 800 PRO's. Getting better and having more fun every round. As mentioned, there is just something great about hitting the ball with them. Also, mis-hits aren't disasters. I tested the CB2, AP1 and Burner 2.0. Was all but sold on the CB2 until the fitter suggested the JPX 800. Wow. Felt great. After discussion, decided the long term solution were the PRO's. I will admit, the CB2 is a nice looking club!

910D2 9.5°
 Baffler Rail Fairway 3F 15.5°
IDEA Tech V3 3i 19°

G20 Hybrid  23°
JPX800PRO 5-GW

SM 56°, 64°
  KOMBI-S Mid 43"

• 1 month later...

TWO MONTHS WITH JPX-800 PROs

Still love the clubs. Solid strikes still feel awesome. I'm getting used to the feeling so it is not as exciting as it was when I first got them. I do think that I have slowed and controlled my swing in order to try and hit the sweet spot more often because the difference in feeling between almost dead on the sweet spot and dead on the sweet spot is profound. The results from those mishits are not dramatically different, but the feeling sure is dramatically better when you hit them pure. I want that feeling. This desire has helped my game. I very rarely think "hard" when I swing anymore. Instead I think "sweet spot."

Great out of thick rough. Whatever they claim about the sole seems to be correct. Rough is very thick year and I have a flat swing. I get to the ball with these clubs much easier than I did with my Fusions.

I hate hitting range balls with these clubs because the balls feel so hard. That is one way I know the clubs have great feel -- I really notice rock-hard balls more than ever. I limit my warmups to my PW and 8-iron so that I don't abuse the entire set. Do forged clubs wear out? I may buy a few range-only clubs.

Scoring is not only about hitting great iron shots. But... My index has gone from 9.3 to 6.1 since I got these irons two months ago (and new Mizuno wedges, and a new 3-wood, and a new driver, and I changed my putting style two weeks ago). The index drop is not only because of the irons but they sure made a difference. I hit a lot of good approach shots with these babies.

I am a Mizuno fan.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Interesting discussion. I had a fitting for new irons about three weeks ago. It came down to the CB2 and the Cleveland CG16 Tour. My preference was for the CB2. However, just as I was about to "pull the trigger" the fitter gave me the bad news that the CB2 was no longer available. I'm a lefty, and he wasn't sure if it was just the left handed models that were out of stock. So, I contacted Adams and this was their reply:

"Ron,

Thank you for your comments.  The CB2 Left handed irons are completely sold out.  The irons themselves have been discontinued.  We will be launching a new iron set shortly.  That is why we no longer have the CB2’s available.

Thanks,

(Name here)
Inside Sales"

So, it looks like we'll be getting a replacement for the CB2.

Grist for the mill.

Ron

Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

You know.. in my search I did catch that something was up with the CB2's. The golf shop only had the CB1's in stock for demos and they said they would not be getting any CB2's to demo. I'm guessing that on the business side of it they might not have been as profitable as Adams wanted them to be.

A few months after getting my JPX 800 Pros and I still love them. My game has gone in the dumps due to school and funds hindering my practice time, but I think that once I get my swing tweaked I'll be back and breaking some personal bests.

The feel on these clubs is still amazing. I completely agree with trying to slow down the swing and make solid contact on the sweet spot. The first time you hit a ball flush is really a breakthrough moment. My first shot demo'ing these clubs was a flush shot that hooked me and I'm glad to see the same results throughout the set.

Also, after a few months of use, they still look great.

Can't say enough about these bad boys.

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

Does anyone that plays these clubs or went through the testing process with them have any advice or opinions on how they compare?

I've taken the JPX 800 Pro out to the course once and really liked the feel. Unfortunately, the golf store in town didn't have the CB2 available for demo'ing.

I've read great things about both (the quantity of reviews leans toward the CB2's) but nothing really that directly compares the two.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I've hit the 800 pros a few time and they feel very nice! I would go with whatever feels best to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the new clubs:

For some reason I took a bit of time off from my regular golf routine (roughly 3 rounds a month with up to 6 or 7 range sessions) almost immediately after getting my new clubs. As a high handicapper that doesn't really matter usually, but I was going from my Callaway x18r's to these JPX 800 Pros which required a bit more precision when it came to making the ball go where I wanted.

Needless to say, my first few rounds with these games were a bit rough. Not far off my usual high 90's scores, but there were some bad ones. I debated whether or not I just spent hundreds of dollars on clubs that were outside my skill level. Buyer's remorse was setting in and I was reminded of it with every fat shot I hit and every slice and hook.

My problem was that I didn't practice with my new clubs enough to expect results - and really.. I think I was lucky to not be far off of my average score. As I got back to the range and got on the course more frequently, my shots improved and my confidence returned. When my swing is technically sound, the clubs turn a good shot into a great shot. The feeling, as I've mentioned all over this forum, is still amazing. To be able to swing a club and immediately grab for the tee and walk off of the tee box knowing that my shot was good without even seeing it land is great. Broke into the 80's today for the first time and my irons were on fire.

If you are looking into new clubs and can get your hands on these to demo, do yourself a favor and give them a try. They were not on my radar one bit but you can't beat the reviews and you certainly can't beat the feeling the first time you hit a pure shot off of these. These were first recommended by one of the professional instructors at my local golf shop and he described these best when he said:

These are the only irons that you'll ever need.

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!