IGNORED

What is your best golf Moment ?

waynem80
Note: This thread is 6036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My best golf moment didn't even take place on the golf course. I'm an air traffic controller and one day just as I got to work, one of the other guys said "Anybody want to talk to Arnold Palmer? He's about to come on my frequency." I jumped in to relieve him and, sure enough, N1AP checked on the frequency and I recognized his voice right away. I was trying to think of what to say to him, and in the back of my mind there was a voice saying "Don't screw up or you'll go through life knowing that Arnold Palmer thinks you're an a**hole!" He was flying back to Latrobe after playing in a tournament on Long Island. It was right after he'd had surgery for prostate cancer a few years back. I told him that I'd taken my kids to see him at the tournament and what a thrill it was for us to watch him play. I'm sure I sounded like a complete idiot, but he seemed really touched by it and it meant a lot to me to talk to one of my heroes. I've worked Air Force One a bunch of times and a lot of other "important" flights over the years, but talking to Arnold Palmer was something very special for me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My best golf moment didn't even take place on the golf course. I'm an air traffic controller and one day just as I got to work, one of the other guys said "Anybody want to talk to Arnold Palmer? He's about to come on my frequency." I jumped in to relieve him and, sure enough, N1AP checked on the frequency and I recognized his voice right away. I was trying to think of what to say to him, and in the back of my mind there was a voice saying "Don't screw up or you'll go through life knowing that Arnold Palmer thinks you're an a**hole!" He was flying back to Latrobe after playing in a tournament on Long Island. It was right after he'd had surgery for prostate cancer a few years back. I told him that I'd taken my kids to see him at the tournament and what a thrill it was for us to watch him play. I'm sure I sounded like a complete idiot, but he seemed really touched by it and it meant a lot to me to talk to one of my heroes. I've worked Air Force One a bunch of times and a lot of other "important" flights over the years, but talking to Arnold Palmer was something very special for me.

Now that, sir, is just too cool... Wow!!!

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

My best moment: Double eagle from 184 yards out. This past summer.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

2002 Summer - I had just moved back to PA from California. I had been playing golf a little less than two years...

Wednesday at 4pm, took off from work early to get 18 in. The course was a real shithole, so I figured I'd get on easy. They had league play (!), so I went out alone on the back nine.

Playing alone, I was in the midst of my best round ever. Pars, bogeys, and a birdie on a Par 3. At the turn at hole # 1 (my tenth), I team up with a father/son. I ask to join them, and they ask if I'm any good. My reply - below average, which was the truth.

The 1st hole is a shortish Par 5, severe dogleg right, uphill fairway, you can't see the dogleg from the tee. I crush my drive, with my normal slice coming into play. The father/son look at me a little weird given that the drive looked pretty good.

The father/son both suck. They each hit 5-6 shots before I even hit my second. I mean it took so long, I smoked 2 cigarettes. My drive is sitting perfectly in the middle of the fairway, slight downhill lie. I estimate about 180 to the flag. I use a five iron, and hit probably the best shot of my life -- 4 feet from the hole. Now, the father/son are looking at me like "What an *sshole, he's below average?"

We get to the green after another 10 minute delay, and I drain my first eagle putt ever!

As we're walking off the green, I sheepishly tell them that this is a 'career round' for me, and that I don't play like this regularly. Ended up shooting a 86, which unfortunately is still my lowest round ever.

Let's hope I have something better to report in a few years....

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I was about 13 years old playing with my dad. I hit a 9-iron from the rough for my 2nd shot on a par 4. Put it in on the fly. Luckiest shot I've ever hit because it wouldn't have been that close if it didn't go in.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

I have a few...

(1) Last year, I shot my first round under PAR, 71, from the back tees at my home course (PAR 72 / 6600 yards)
(2) Hole 13, last November (330 Yard PAR 4). Tried to kill a drive and the inevitable happened. It is a slight dogleg left and my draw didn't draw. Lost the ball deep right in the woods. For my provisional, I hit a Hybrid up to the 100 yard area. I didnt find my first ball, but it didn't hurt too bad. I hit my SW and spun it back about a foot into the hole and walked off with a par.
(3) My buddy Jake got me playing and essentially taught me how to play about 5 years ago. We played in a match against each other (Squadron tournament) last April and I shot a 76 to his 78. By Handicap, he had to give me 2 strokes. I can only remember one time since then that he has beaten me. A "pupil becomes the master" story.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

my first 300+ drive was at Suncadia over the summer on #18. got nice and relaxed and put the best swing of the day together. dead straight down the middle - paced it off at 320. it was a 1 in 1000 shot for me, but i walked away knowing what it feels like to really bomb one. that was awesome.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

my first 300+ drive was at Suncadia over the summer on #18. got nice and relaxed and put the best swing of the day together. dead straight down the middle - paced it off at 320. it was a 1 in 1000 shot for me, but i walked away knowing what it feels like to really bomb one. that was awesome.

300 + drive, now that is nice! wayne

My best golf moment was during high school golf six years ago playing at our home course ( High Cedars Golf Club ). I drove the 314 yard tightly covered green on a lightly rainy day. Two putted for a birdie, went on to become medalist.

Here is the picture of the hole.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I have only just starting to get into golf the past couple of weeks. My shots are so far rather erratic but I did hit my future brother in laws rusty old Wilson 6 iron 190 yards dead straight which I was extremely happy with. I can hit my Callaway Big Bertha II 11* driver a real long way but most of them start out straight before sailing way right (am a right hander).

My current driver, which I bought on ebay is Callaway "light flex" which I believe is similar to senior flex. Would it help me to get a regular flex? Would it really matter if I got a stiff flex even?

I have only just starting to get into golf the past couple of weeks. My shots are so far rather erratic but I did hit my future brother in laws rusty old Wilson 6 iron 190 yards dead straight which I was extremely happy with. I can hit my Callaway Big Bertha II 11* driver a real long way but most of them start out straight before sailing way right (am a right hander).

It really all depends on your swing. How do you pull it? with your your lead arm and swing through?

wayne

I was with my buddy the other day, and for the first time ever, he poped one right in the whole from about 90-100 yrds out :). That was awsome, I shared his best golf moment with him :)

wayne

Another best golf moment to share.....

My first time I beat my father at a match play at his home course.

My father is an official 12.3 handicap but he plays 2-3. He is not so long from the tees and with his irons, but he can chip and putt like pros! (it's always 1 chip and 1 putt!)

In addition, he is a fierce 'mouth' competitor, as he can make you literally go balistic with his comments during a round! Whatever he can not achieve with his golf shots, he attains it with his mouth and comments!

For example, let's say he is putting from spot very close to yours and in a very rare occasion he misses a 3 foot putt to right because he actually pushed it, he would say "oh, it's breaking a lot!!" Well, I used to be a very poor putter and those kind of words would not definitely help me at all!

Anyway, in general I have always been a bit distracted by many things on the course, but the day I beat my father, nothing could stop me!

Every comments, every good shots by my father was followed by a more superb shot and I got to such as high level of concentration that I could hear nothing around me!

At the end of the round, my father congratulated with me and said: "Now, you finally got matured enough and you can focus for 4 hours on the course!"

He never beat me again.
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

• 3 weeks later...
Par 3 136 yards to the front, pin was 5 yards back for the front, slightly uphill. I hit my 8 iron and flew it straight into the cup. I can still feel that swing and ball strike.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

My best "moment" was actually a weekend in 1989. Playing in my first Club Championship with the club I've been in now for 17 years. The second weekend of a 4 day, 72 hole event. I was carrying a 16 course handicap, and I'd just established it that year. I hadn't even placed in a tournament yet that season, although my handicap had dropped by 4 strokes along the way. However, starting the 3rd round I was leading my flight by 1 stroke and feeling pretty good about my chances. I didn't realize just how good.... I was about to have my best golfing weekend ever.

I shot 73 (on a par 72 course - still my best round ever) that Saturday, and turned my 1 stroke lead into 16 strokes. I admit that it was even a little bit embarassing, and I was definitely getting some looks from some of the members who didn't know me. The only thing that saved me was that I had played with a lot of the other guys for a couple of years, and they knew that I wasn't bagging. Anyway, I took that lead into Sunday, and shot a 78, at the time my 2nd best lifetime round, increased my lead by 4 more strokes, and made my first hole-in-one on the 17th!!! Needless to say, I won the handicap championship trophy that year, and split the $2400 Hole-in-one pot with one other guy (he aced the same hole 20 minutes before me).

For some reason, I had suddenly found my game, and I didn't lose it for 8 years, until an injury to my right elbow required surgery. I'm still trying to find where I left that swing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!