IGNORED

What is your best golf Moment ?

waynem80
Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The last tournament of my junior (17-under) "career" in what was the biggest "major" for the season. I was in a sudden death playoff with one other and he hit his approach into the bunker. I was all by myself, about 148yds out and was about to take a 8iron (the green was elevated at least a club) but took a light 7 instead at the last minute. I couldn't see a thing (because the green was so high) but it looked good and then I heard the crowd roar up at the green. 2 feet and the win. Ahhhhh, good ol' days. I love reminiscing

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last summer, I started working at a company right before their annual golf outing. Everyone in the local offices met up at a country club for 3 hours of meetings in the mornings and a round of golf after lunch (It was especially cool because right before we headed off, the regional manager gave the bar his credit card and said any drinks we wanted on the course were on him :))

Anyway, there were various pin prizes, closest tee shot on a par 3, longest drive, etc. On the 7th hole, it was closest third shot on a par 5, 539 yards, slightly downhill. I had honors and nutted my drive, got a good bounce to probably 330 or so yards out on the left side of the fairway. I got to the ball, pulled a 5-iron, and waited for the group on the green to finish.

My boss, who was my riding partner, pulls up beside me and asks if I'm going for it. I say yes, he bets me $20 I can't put it on the green. I accept and get ready. I caught it absolutely pure, and I turn around and ask if he wants to pay now or after the round. He watches the ball and I see his eyes just about pop out...it ends up about five feet from the hole. Sank the putt, put the pin prize in the hole, and got two dozen Pro-V1's :)

Driver: 907D2 9.5˚
3 Wood: 904F 15˚
Hybrid: 585H 19˚
Irons: 695.CB, 3-PW, S300
Wedges: 588 56˚, chrome Vokey 60˚ chromePutter: Ally

Last August when I shot my first, and only underpar 18 hole round.

But the worst was going out and shooting a 90 on the same course the next day!! Now that's consistant!

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Man I have had alot of really cool moments in golf. In no particular order...and by no means all inclusive. =)

1) Playing St. Andrews in 92'. I carded an 81 in one of the better rounds of golf I have ever played considering the conditons etc. It was 25+mph wind all round with a light spitting rain and about 55degrees ambient...it felt like 20. And I never had more fun in such absolutely misaberable conditions.

2) Making a Double Eagle on the Par 5 5th at Southern Hills. I was playing with a member friend of my fathers and had been told at length that even though I was a long hitter...no one gets home on the 5th in two.

3) First time I broke 70 on my 17th birthday...I had skipped school to go play, (my dad let me out of school for the day cause it was my birthday). I still have that card...framed.

4) Just a month or so ago playing my first round with my 9yr old son. We have been taking him to lessons and playing the course as a par 3 alot (dropping 75-100 yards out in the fairway and playing in)...but this was his first 'round' where he played from the red tees. The lil guy shot 112 and I was ELATED. I wish I could putt like him...FEARLESS! =)
Driver: 907D2 9.5*- Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
4 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics 16* - Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
Hybrids: CLK FLI-HI 20* and 23* - Stiff
Irons: MP-60 4 - PW - Project X Flighted 6.0
Wedges: 56* and 60* Spin Milled OilCan - Spinner Wedge ShaftsPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5Ball:.....

The day I outdrove my father. My dad was 6'6" and about 240, and could just simply punish the ball. We were playing at his home course on what I seem to remember was the 18th tee. The shot was from an elevated tee over a fairly large pond to a dog-leg left, really the hole went straight from the landing area left. He hit a great drive out over the lake and put it in the middle of the fairway. Two of his buddies hit next, one in the lake the other short of my dad. I teed up last, as usual as I was not very good, and just smoked it. I usually dropped them right in the drink due to the water magent in my golf balls, but not this time. I couldn't believe as the ball landed three feet behind his bounced and went ten yards past his drive. I was around 16 at the time and didn't let him forget it.

That was the best moment so far, however, I think better moments will come when my son (2 yrs old), hopefully, picks up the game. Right now he just like jamming daddy's putter in the floor *cringe*.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Nothing too dramatic here. No club championships or sudden death. For me it was probably the first time I beat my father-in-law straight up. I had beaten him for 9, but he would always come out on top after 18. Just too steady. Over the last couple years I have gotten better, but he has been out with injuries. I am looking forward to this year as he is hopefully going to start playing again. Now I just need to make sure he doesn't blow back by me.

The other would be my approach shot on the 18th at Cheboygan golf club. I had 140 yards over water from a down hill lie. I was always terrible off down hillers and I put it in the middle of the green. That isn't what made it significant though. I ended up two putting for par and 37. It was the first time I ever broke 40. Standing over the ball I knew that if I put it in the drink I could easily blow the hole and my chance at 39. I pulled off the shot and my brother was playing with me. The card is still on my fridge.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 2 months later...
In 1990, I was playing a round in Italy at the Marco Simone C.C. (near Rome)

Hahaha, oh man that puts a smile on my face. Way to go man

I love to hate this damn game.

1. first full 18 ever with my dad a few months back. i sliced the drive to about 110 from the hole on the next fairway, oak tree directly in between me and the pin. pulled out my PW and my dad thought i was crazy for trying to go over instead of under. I hit perfectly straight over the tree onto the green and parred the hole. my dad, who's been playing for 40 years bogied after hitting his straight down the fairway on his drive.

2. second 18 ever playing with my brother. short par 5 dog leg to the right. drive it straight, 3 wood about 20 yards from the green, pitch it two feet from the hole and drain the putt for my first ever birdie. me and my brother were laughing because we are both horrible and regularly shoot over 100.

3. anytime i hit a car and the person drives away without stopping to ask for money.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

1. first full 18 ever with my dad a few months back. i sliced the drive to about 110 from the hole on the next fairway, oak tree directly in between me and the pin. pulled out my PW and my dad thought i was crazy for trying to go over instead of under. I hit perfectly straight over the tree onto the green and parred the hole. my dad, who's been playing for 40 years bogied after hitting his straight down the fairway on his drive.

Haha, i love it, i can't believe you hit it straight over the tree, gotta love that shot heh? :)

My first birdie ever --

It was hole #10 and I was playing with about 6 of my friends -- they had a foursome in front and me and my buddy were playing behind them.

The green to #10 (a par 5) and the tee box for #11 (par 3) are right next to each other so we were all bunched up for the moment.

My 3rd shot went about 30 yards to the right of the green because I just wanted to crush it to carry this creek that guards the green. I step up to it with my sand wedge, hit a nice little flop shot, and it just kept trickling down the green and it just disappeared in the middle of the green and then I realized it went in, and me and my buddy went nuts and were running around the green and our friends on the tee box just stared at us.

My best moment is my first and only Eagle ever. I was 13 or 14. Me and my Dad were playing at a course called Heritage Bluffs in Northeastern Illinois and it was hole 10. It was a par 4 a little over 400 yards. I hit my drive down the cart path, which went parralel with the fairway, and it ended up being a 300+ yard drive, a little over 100 yards from the pin in the rough. The green was very elevated, at least 15 yards, so I wouldn't be able to see it if it stayed on the green or not. I hit a pitching wedge and it went nice and smooth, and went right to the center of the green. I remember my dad saying "puttin' for bird". Well as we drive up there we don't see the ball anywhere on the green. I glance over the green and don't see anything either. Then there is only one more spot to look, and I went nuts when i saw it was there. I think my dad was a little jealous, or maybe just speechless because he just had a smile on his face. Was an awesome moment.

Then a couple holes later on par 3 I got a birdie, not my first birdie but I made a 20+ foot putt to get it. Good times.

I love to hate this damn game.

Back in my sophomore season of golf, I shot a 31 on nine holes. Par 35. Had eleven putts with a 3 putt resulting in a bogey. The best part was that my friend from my team also shot under par with a 34. We completely routed the other team because we shot -4 as a team.

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

After 33 years I have so many great memories! My first birdie at 10 years old, Shooting -3 under in a High School match, Watching my brother shoot an incredible round in the 60's, and Winning 4 of 5 tournaments I entered in 1994.

But the most recent moment is my 9 year old son making his first birdie. He hit a 3wood off the tee on a 140yd par 3 to 20 feet. He had a downhill putt with 3 feet of break and drained it. He was so excited you would have thought he just won the Open, It was pretty cool. I get the most joy out of the game these days playing golf with him!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

My best
1984, playing 9 with the club pro and the course owners son, both scratch golfers. We went to the 8th tee, I was 1 over and they were both even par. I birdied both 8 and 9 to finish one under and beat them both. Suprise,suprise!
That is still the only time I broke par for 9 holes. My regular partner and I went on to finish the 18. I shot 74 (par 72) and that is still my best round ever. I was 3 under twice during the round but collapsed on the last 4 holes(5 over). Bummer.

Best TV moment:
1986 Masters final 9 holes. Nothing will ever top that.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

The first time I shot in the 70s. (78, Twin Wells GC, Irving, TX).

First albatross (Driver, lob wedge on a short par 5 with a 40 mph tailwind).

Anytime I played with my grandma.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

Anytime I played with my grandma.

That has to trump all other posts

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Playing Skins with 3 hockey buddies.

Have 7 skins on the line, get up to the par 5 signature hole (big rocks in the middle of the fairway).

Drive: Snap hook into the rocks on the left
Second Shot: punch out (5 yards)
Third Shot: 210 yard lay up.
Fourth Shot: Sink the 135 yard approach for birdie and all of the skins.

Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!