IGNORED

Cleaning your Golf balls before putting?!

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Believe it or not, I used to put my ball in my mouth to clean it. This was when I was just a kid though, 14 or 15. What a nutjob!

Now I just wet a 1/4 of my towel and take it around with me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Ben

Believe it or not, I used to put my ball in my mouth to clean it. This was when I was just a kid though, 14 or 15. What a nutjob!

Now I just wet a 1/4 of my towel and take it around with me.

Do you ever look back and wonder how you even survived childhood given all the stupid stuff you did?  I wonder that all the time myself.  I used to jump off out the window of the 2nd floor bathroom into snow drifts that would pile up against the house.  Never even broke a bone.  Fricken miracle.

Anyway, back on topic, I just recently discovered that an old gym sock makes a great ball cleaner.  I cut the toe off so it's just a small fuzzy little pouch, dampen it, and keep it in a little baggie so it doesn't soak my pocket.  Works great, costs nothing, and takes up very little room.

Originally Posted by ochmude

Do you ever look back and wonder how you even survived childhood given all the stupid stuff you did?  I wonder that all the time myself.  I used to jump off out the window of the 2nd floor bathroom into snow drifts that would pile up against the house.  Never even broke a bone.  Fricken miracle.

Anyway, back on topic, I just recently discovered that an old gym sock makes a great ball cleaner.  I cut the toe off so it's just a small fuzzy little pouch, dampen it, and keep it in a little baggie so it doesn't soak my pocket.  Works great, costs nothing, and takes up very little room.

I used to drink out of the hose...

I don't like anything in my pockets except maybe a ballmark or tees. The towel with the wet corner seems to work the best for me.

I usually don't worry about it, as it's dry enough here that there's not usually more than dust marks on the ball.  If it hit the sand or if I happen to get it muddy somehow, I have a towel that can be clipped on/off my bag quickly so I just bring that to the green with me.

Originally Posted by hjimzaf

I used to use these, they're about $6 for 2 at most golf shops. Works pretty good.

The other day I bought a Frogger Amphibian Towel and it came with a smaller one for balls. I love it!

thanks

I'm picking up one of those Frogger ball towels

I just go to the rough around the green and rub it in the grass until it's clean and use my fingers for the rest, then clean my fingers in the same grass.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by domc36

How do you fellas handle this issue? I absolutely hate putting with a dirty ball. I tried the saliva technique and it really fails to get all of the dirt off the ball. You guys have any tips/tricks to making your balls squeaky clean (hehe) before putting??

I don't really worry about it.  I rub off anything that might affect the putt, but I don't worry about grass stains, etc.  I clean them off at the next tee.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I carry a clean ball (the same make of course) in my back pocket and use it for putting. I use the other one for anything else.

Nice idea... ..... just add 2 penalty strokes for illegal substitution (Rule 15-2) every time you do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was never impressed with the ball-zee. Loved my mini frogger, but the clips suck and always fell off of my belt loop, finally ended up losing it. I do have a full size frogger on the bag, but i just bring a smaller dry towel onto the green.

What are these "towels" you speak of that people take to the green?  Mine are attached to my golf bag, no way I'm hauling that think up there every hole.  The best solution is to have a putting ball... if you're not playing for money, then the 2 stroke penalty can go suck it.

Other than that, miss every green and chip the damn thing in.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I don't really worry about it.  I rub off anything that might affect the putt, but I don't worry about grass stains, etc.  I clean them off at the next tee.

what he said.  if there's a significant chunk of turf or mud stuck to my ball, i'll wipe it off with a towel, but just surface level stuff like grass stains don't bother me in the slightest.

Originally Posted by hjimzaf

I used to use these, they're about $6 for 2 at most golf shops. Works pretty good.

The other day I bought a Frogger Amphibian Towel and it came with a smaller one for balls. I love it!

Definitely a fan of the Ballzee; works great.

I have a towel on my bag I use for clubs and a towel I carry with me to the green.  I try to keep a corner of it wet, but I often forget and use the old saliva trick instead.

I can't stand putting with a dirty ball.  I can always tell when I'm having a bad round because I'll stop caring about cleaning the ball, it means I've given up on the round.

• 8 months later...
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!