IGNORED

Cleaning your Golf balls before putting?!

domc36
Note: This thread is 4319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Old1964

I usually just wipe it clean with a damp $20 bill.

Twenties?  I only carry hundreds.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by wmiller

I have one of those little pouches that you pour water in before your round. I carry it in my back pocket, and pull it out once I've marked my ball on the green. Stuff the ball in the pouch, roll it around a couple of times, and presto, it pops out clean as a whistle.

All the golf stores carry them.

I have one of these too.   They work great...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Spit and my thumb.  Sometimes the leg of my pants if my thumb is too dirty.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I use the full size Frogger. Unclip from my bag (I ride) and I also use it to keep clubs dry/clean if I missed the green. Outside is dry and inside is wet.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I carry a clean towel everywhere I go....  I use it to lay my wedges on the green if I miss the GIR...my grips never touch the wet/dirty ground.  I usually just use my hand to wipe my ball clean and if it's something persistent, I use my clean towel.  Once it gets warmer, the clean towel is predominantly used for laying clubs/drying sweat.  ....and cleaning golf balls, but only if necessary.  A 2nd towel attached to my bag is for club-cleaning duty.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Usually....just rubbing the ball with my hands will be enough to get any gunk off...if the stuff on the ball is a little heavier, I use the flag sometimes to rub the dirt off...and if the ball has been hit out out of a plugged lie or some heavy rough and there's a huge amount of muck on it, I'll use the towel that I use for my clubs (that hangs on my bag).

Hate using a new/different ball to putt with (I know a lot of poeple who do this in friendly games...its obviously a penalty in competitive golf)...find that a new/unhit ball has a lot more spring in it and I find it difficult to control pace.

I carry a dry towel which works most of the time. I also bring a water bottle (the ones used by Tour de France cyclists - ie they are sealed and you open that seal with your teeth). I use it for drinking, and you can squirt a bit on a corner of the towel without messing up your water bottle, or the rest of the towel.

I carry a wet towel to the green with me. And I also use a wet towel to clean my clubs after each shot.

But 3 pages of "how do I clean my ball" this thread..... WOW!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

If it's really dirty I'll bring it back to the bag and clean with a wet towel. Usually that's not the case, so I'll just roll it around in my hands or rub it a little on the green to get off some mud.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I just use my shirt since it goes in the washer after the round anyway.

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

Summer is usually not a problem and in the winter or if conditions require I carry a old golf towel.

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

Originally Posted by Klutten3

I just use my shirt since it goes in the washer after the round anyway.

Me too. Unless it's super dirty.

I just realized I don't normally clean a ball when its on a putting surface. I mean when I mark it I just put it in my pocket until time to replace it. Little story quickly: I was in a tournament a couple weeks ago and it was SUPER wet and muddy. Well I hit the ball into the right side woods due to hitting a limb :O and then preceded to hit it out of the mess. Well when I hit it, I hit it like a bunker shot and took a lot of mud with it. Well the ball landed competely covered in mud (couldn't see the white). I hit the ball hard and it hit near the green and it literally stuck on the side of a hill. Craziest thing so far. But yeah, I just use my shirt if I do.

Why pay the man $$$$ for something you don't need?

Just take a small hand towel and tuck it under your belt just above your back pocket......It stays out of the way when you swing, but is available when you get to the green.

Mark your ball, place the ball in the towel, spit on it, wipe it clean, replace your ball on the green then putt it into the hole.

As for the towels, you can usually get them at sporting events when they hand them out to fans as freebies.

I've played golf in some nasty conditions, and there is nothing I've found that won't come off with a little spit and a rub in the inside of the shirt.  Works like magic and it's free.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!