IGNORED

710 MB vs. Scratch Golf Tour Custom vs. Miura Blades

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So heres the predicament I'm in...I have hit blades and I know I can hit them consistently and it's time for a new set.  I have narrowed it down to those 3 sets but because I'm a lefty it tooks like I'm not going to get to try them before I buy them.  Before anyone says it, I've been to 3 demo days and a professional club fitting where they had nothing more than some Mizuno's for me to try.

I'm looking for feel off the clubs face on good shots and what I can expect from bad shots, what kind of ball flight they each will give, what type of quality are the Muira and Scratch golf clubs (i know titleist but i dont know those 2 as well), and an overall review of the clubs

I cant find a good review of the clubs so i was wondering if there were any of you who knew about them

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I play Miura blades, and love em. I try all of my friends irons, and I can say that the Miura blades are definitely super sweet when you hit them well. The Scratch blades look absolutely identical to my MB-5002 Miuras. You probably cant go wrong with those Scratch clubs too. The Miuras still demand top yen on the Japanese used market, so that shows you the quality you can expect.

I've tried the Titleist blades too, and they were also good, even with a different shaft setup. The Titleist blades look like they have a slightly more forgiving sole. Thats the only difference I can see. You cant go wrong with any of these!

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

I am not really qualified to answer but Erik has an in depth review of the Miura's on this site and I believe has them in his bag.

I'm sure you've done your research but if you spring for the $2,500 tour custom from Scratch you can get the truly custom grinds and so forth that I don't know if anyone else offers.

All three are great clubs.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, you've listed a few of the most sought after blades (on the internet at least - not to many local players here playing blades but those that are have Mizunos, Titleist, Clevand, Nakashima, KZG, WS, and MacGregor - basically vintage and clubfitter brands). If you're going to buy new irons without hitting them, and base your choices on other people's opinion (people who might be posers - it is the interweb after all), don't forget to solicit opinions on Srixon/Cleveland, Bridgstone/Tourstage, Adams, Geotech, KZG, RC, Fourteen, PRGR, Yonex, Epon, Yururi . . .

Some of these coughposercough brands are available here- not necessarily in lefty though:

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/Iron-Sets

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Well, you've listed a few of the most sought after blades (on the internet at least - not to many local players here playing blades but those that are have Mizunos, Titleist, Clevand, Nakashima, KZG, WS, and MacGregor - basically vintage and clubfitter brands). If you're going to buy new irons without hitting them, and base your choices on other people's opinion (people who might be posers - it is the interweb after all), don't forget to solicit opinions on Srixon/Cleveland, Bridgstone/Tourstage, Adams, Geotech, KZG, RC, Fourteen, PRGR, Yonex, Epon, Yururi . . .

Some of these coughposercough brands are available here- not necessarily in lefty though:

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/Iron-Sets

I've hit blades and I know I can hit them. I've also talked to my local pro who plays for titleist and ive heard nothing but good about the 710's but I'm really interested in scratch golf and miura but i just dont think that I could find somewhere that will have demos in lefty of clubs like these

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

There was a review on the main site a few months ago: http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/miura_cb-501_and_blade_2007_irons_review

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My only advice to the OP is that with the Scratch and Miura blades you're talking about big bucks (a couple grand easy).  The Titleist on the other hand aren't cheap but even brand new you can pick up for less than a grand.  You'll also have a pretty easy time finding the Titleist irons used for even more savings.  So it depends on your budget, but if it were me before I'd spend the cash on the two higher cost options I'd definitely have to demo the clubs.  Call the manufacturers and see what they can do to hook you up with a demo.  For the money you might be spending (or saving) spending some of your budget on travel could make sense.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

If you are soliciting opinions mine would be to go with whatever one suites your eye the best. After all aesthetics are important. Tom, Dick, and Harry all have completely different reasons they think their clubs are the best….and IMO should have absolutely no influence on your decision. So again I'd go with whatever one looks the best to you and focus on the perfect shaft.

FWIW, I've hit 2 of the 3…one was great and the other not so much (had a wet noodle shaft so it had nothing to do with the head). The shaft is what makes or breaks an iron (for me anyway)….especially with blades!

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

If you are soliciting opinions mine would be to go with whatever one suites your eye the best. After all aesthetics are important. Tom, Dick, and Harry all have completely different reasons they think their clubs are the best….and IMO should have absolutely no influence on your decision. So again I'd go with whatever one looks the best to you and focus on the perfect shaft.

FWIW, I've hit 2 of the 3…one was great and the other not so much (had a wet noodle shaft so it had nothing to do with the head). The shaft is what makes or breaks an iron (for me anyway)….especially with blades!

I'm with Bump. Find the right shaft for you and any of those in your OP will perform just fine.

I have hit the 710's, and they are great clubs, but to me, most blades feel the same. Like the two posters above, it all comes down to shaft selection and what fits you.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

So im going with the 710's because i can get them at cost and I can put any shaft in them. im also going to get a few vokey wedges and probably a 2h from tmade

Are you totally sure about the 710's? I've gamed a number of Titleist blades over the years and made the jump to Scratch a couple years back and never looked back. I then had the opportunity to snag a set of Miura Tournament Blades and immediately sold my Scratch SB-1's. With the SB-1's out the door, I got some Miura LE Baby Blades. Wow! Talk about taking a step up the ladder with each change. I've always liked Titleist blades. In fact, other than my FG-17's, the only set of irons that I really regret selling were my 681's. I'd still love to get a set of those back. Anyway, Titleist blades have that distinctive Titleist feel, the click at impact. Even though I prefer a soft feel, there is something about that click that feels right. Interestingly enough that click seems to be pretty consistent throughout pretty much all Titleist irons that I've gamed over the years. I've never gamed the 710's but I have hit them a few times. They seem like a solid set of irons that I wouldn't mind gaming. The Scratch SB-1's are a step up from any Titleist blade if you ask me. The feel of the SB-1 is quite a bit softer than any Titleist that I've hit. They are a very fluid iron and an absolute pleasure to game. The topline is slightly thinner than what you'll get with a Titleist and the offset is (at least visually) slightly reduced as well. The SB-1 is very pleasing to the eye. Wanna take another step up? Get yourself a set of Miura Tournament blades. Playing with Miura irons is like golfing with fine jewellery. The feel of a Miura blade is unlike anything else in golf and is somewhat difficult to explain, it really is something that you need to experience, not read about. In making this step from the SB-1, you'll again see a slightly thinner topline and (visually) reduced offset. These are also very pleasing to the eye. One thing to note with the Miura blades however is that the sweet spot is slightly heel bias. This is due to the long hosel and the toe grind. If you've gamed Titleist irons over the years this is a look that can take a little time to get used to. Once you're used to it though an iron that does not have heel bias just looks wrong. If your primary miss is way out on the toe, the Miura iron probably isn't for you. In that case, get yourself a set of SB-1's, they're much more forgiving out on the toe. Since you're a lefty I won't even start talking about the Miura 1957 LE irons. Let's just say that it's a shame lefties can't experience the ultimate orgasm in golf and leave it at that. Every set of these irons are definitely player's irons. Workability is fantastic, trajectory is easy to manipulate, etc, etc. Fit any one of these heads with the correct shaft and you should be good to go. If feel is something that you value however, you're going to be much happier with the SB-1, even more so w/the Miura TB.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Rebby, thank you for your imput.  I think the reason I have to go with Titleist is because they are the only ones I am able to hit before I buy. Also, I get them for $600 (cost) because my boss plays for Titleist, someday I want to own a set of Miura's but right now there are too many things in the way, not so much price but the fact that I cant hit them before I buy them and the nearest retailer is 2 hours away.

That's a great deal. I'd be temped to get a set of 710's at that price myself. They're a great set of clubs. I wouldn't worry about not being able to hit the Miura before buying. I bought my first set sight unseen. Sure, it was a little nerve racking but I knew that I'd be able to turn them over if needed so I took the gamble. It turned out great though. I totally love Miura now. :-)

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

i would love to be able to spend that much but right now going to college that doesnt make sense for me.  $600 for 710 mb's i think is more than fair...from a shop I might add, not some ebay knock offs.

So right now heres how my order looks

3-P 710 MB

50/08 Vokey

56/11 Vokey

58/11 Vokey

60/07 Vokey or Nike SV 60/10

Titleist 17* 910H or Taylormade 18* Rescue

possibly Callaway Razr Hawk Tour with Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 stiff

with driver it would cost a little less than $1400

Originally Posted by cody west

i would love to be able to spend that much but right now going to college that doesnt make sense for me.  $600 for 710 mb's i think is more than fair...from a shop I might add, not some ebay knock offs.

So right now heres how my order looks

3-P 710 MB

50/08 Vokey

56/11 Vokey

58/11 Vokey

60/07 Vokey or Nike SV 60/10

Titleist 17* 910H or Taylormade 18* Rescue

possibly Callaway Razr Hawk Tour with Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 stiff

with driver it would cost a little less than $1400

Did they have a clearance sale on Vokeys?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Thats one hell of a shopping list! Very nice!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Did they have a clearance sale on Vokeys?

lol, yea I dont really think you need that 58 in there, too many wedges. 2 degrees of loft difference is nothing

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!