IGNORED

Am I the only person left in the world that loves long irons and hates hybrids?

Note:Β This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by B of H

not to do what?

It was an accidental multi--quote.Β Suffice to say - oops!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Obviously there is still some market for long irons, and I still carry a 20* or 21* 3 iron (a traditional 2 iron) in my bag 80% of the time. Β But not many people, pros included , are playing modern 18* 2 irons. Β You love hitting one, great, but a 17* or 18* iron is not as easy to hit as a mid-iron. Β When you do see a guy bagging a modern 2 iron it's often a PING Eye or Zing, or some other equivalent larger cavity back. Β Great clubs, but not that different from a hybrid.

Originally Posted by B of H

I realize this is sarcasm but...

the point is that the club companies and instruction magazines like golf digest have basically brainwashed everyone into thinking that long irons are impossible to hit and even the pro's aren't playing them anymore.Β  Well, that is complete garbage.Β  A lot of pro's are still using long irons, it's only the weaker/lower trajectory pro's that have taken to hybrids exclusively and some may use them on firm courses when there isn't as much wind...but still were talking about hybrids a lot of time that aren't like the ones they offer retail.Β  IMO long irons are just as easy to hit as mid-irons...I think it's all in some peoples heads.Β  If you hit the ball high and solid consistently with lots of spin naturally then hybrids don't really help you and in fact in some cases hurt you.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

One thought I have is get an older model mizuno 2 iron.Β  The MP 60 might have a 2 iron or even like the MP 17 (I think my buddy plays some old mizuno muscle/blade).Β Β  It would match just fine with the 68s.Β  Also, I have the MP fli His and they play exactly like an iron.

I am currently playing the MP-68 and have a 2i from my T-Zoid Pro set that matches pretty well with my set.Β  I don't carry it very often, but it does come in handy at times.Β  We played in OK a few years back, with was blowing a steady 30 mph with gust to even more.Β  The fairways were firm and fast, the 2i came in handy then, you could keep the ball low and still get a lot of run out in the fairways.

I still carry a 3i and have a pretty old school set, Driver, 3W, 5W, 3i-PW, GW, SW.Β  I tried numerous hybrids and just didn't like them or hit them as well as I did a 5W or 3i.Β  Since a hybrid wasn't an option for me 30 years ago when I was picking up the game, I worked hard to learn to hit long irons, so I don't have an adversion to them.Β  I guess I'm not willing to put the time into the hybrids at this point.

CraigΒ 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I still carry a 2-iron in nearly every round that I play. Specs are as follows; [CODE]Club Loft Bounce Lie Length Swingweight Shaft 2 19* -1* 59* 39.5" D2 S400 Sensicore Satin Hard-Stepped 1x [/CODE] It's no shovel either. In fact, [url=http://miuragolf.com/series57_blade.asp]quite the opposite[/url].

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB ProΒ | Miura 1957 Irons | YururiΒ Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat |Β TaylorMadeΒ Penta

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by anotherday

My hybrids are my go to clubs. Just added a 2h and it is a monster on the course. Preferences differ.. +1 for hybrids for me.

I have an Adams A4 2 hybrid (17Β°) - my favorite club off the tee - there are hybrids available that don't baloon as the OP says... you just have to look around.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've actually considered picking up the 2 iron that goes along with my Nike Vr Pro Combos, but haven't done it yet. Either I'll do that or I'll buy a new hybrid. Problem is, I hit the ball pretty high with my long irons already, all adding a 2 iron would do is be removing my layup club, my get-out-of-the-trees club, and my most forgiving club. No real benefits, because I wouldn't hit it low anyways.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I've actually considered picking up the 2 iron that goes along with my Nike Vr Pro Combos, but haven't done it yet. Either I'll do that or I'll buy a new hybrid. Problem is, I hit the ball pretty high with my long irons already, all adding a 2 iron would do is be removing my layup club, my get-out-of-the-trees club, and my most forgiving club. No real benefits, because I wouldn't hit it low anyways.

How far/high do you hit your 3-iron? I don't put a 2-iron in with my Clevelands because 1.) I don't have one, and 2.) they're a club longer than my other irons already. A proper 2-iron is like a moped (if you know what I mean). If nothing else, it's almost a guaranteed FIR and a great way to get off the 1st tee and feel good about yourself (until the next morning - moped zinger).

How far/high do you hit your 3-iron? I don't put a 2-iron in with my Clevelands because 1.) I don't have one, and 2.) they're a club longer than my other irons already. A proper 2-iron is like a moped (if you know what I mean). If nothing else, it's almost a guaranteed FIR and a great way to get off the 1st tee and feel good about yourself (until the next morning - moped zinger).

I hit it the 3-iron about 205-210. I'm not sure exactly how high, but, well, high. Not a whole lot lower than my 2-hybrid. The 2-hybrid goes about 215-220, and probably actually a little bit too high, which is why I'm kind of looking for a new one. I use it mostly for layups off the tee and from the fairway and as a get-out-of-trouble club.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I hit it the 3-iron about 205-210. I'm not sure exactly how high, but, well, high. Not a whole lot lower than my 2-hybrid. The 2-hybrid goes about 215-220, and probably actually a little bit too high, which is why I'm kind of looking for a new one. I use it mostly for layups off the tee and from the fairway and as a get-out-of-trouble club.

Based on your 3-iron / driver gap, you sound like the perfect candidate for a 2-iron (or a different 2-hybrid). With your swing and other distances, 230-240 should be standard for a good driving iron. I picked up a mint condition Dunlop driving iron for about $3 (thrift store) so there are a ton of options. Basically, you'd get a lower ball flight, but probably more run with a 2.

I just can't get confortable with a hybrid.Β  I just bought another (Mizuno MX 700 with a graphite stiff 80 gram shaft) for 60 dollars new as I don't hit my 4 iron high or solid enough from 190 and it is sitting in my garage.Β  I've been to the range twice and just no confidence/consistancy.Β  I had a callaway x-hybrid 21 degree and just hated it.Β  I thought I'd give another hybrid a try since everyone raves about them.Β  The odd thing is I hit my 7 wood great but not my hybrid with more loft and shorter shaft.Β  I'm sure its me, but I either hit big blocks (unplayable) or big pulls.Β  Then I hit my 3 iron fli hi just fine.

But if I could really play I can see how hitting it higher isn't good.Β  For me, that is what I want.Β  I just need hieight from 190 and I don't get that right now from my 4 iron.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

update:

bought this 20* deep face adams pro black on ebay and reshafted it with a DGx100 at stock 3-iron length.

a6f3d043.jpg

HUGE SUCCESS!Β  it came with a tour stiff 41" 85 gram graphite shaft and although I hit it about 230 on the fly via trackman it was way too high and I found it hard to control to say the least but it was slightly better than other hybrids i've tried although it still had a slight left bias as well.Β  Once I put in the DG it became exactly what I was looking for.Β  compared to my 3-iron it goes slightly higher (like 15 feet from my perspective) and although it's easy to hook it's also pretty damn straight when needed and any added 'left' can be attributed to slightly more hang time if anything.Β  I can also hit a usable fade with it just like an iron and it can be knocked down effectively although I don't really need to as I still have the 2-iron in the bag.Β  (i'm sure i'll have a shot where I want to carry something and stop it eventually into the wind and try it but so far no need)

on .stock swings' it does go about 3-5 yards longer than my 3-iron but it's about 12 yards shorter than the 2-iron which is about perfect although it creates roughly a 15 yard gap between my 4-iron...which isn't too bad.Β  I can choke up on it and/or hit a cut if I need to subtract a few yards here or there.Β  I might adjust the lofts of my next set to better match up with this club.

2-iron: 230 carry/ 3hybrid: 218...4 iron 203 etc...

i've played 5 rounds so far with it and it works out perfectly as I can still hit low runners with the 2i but downwind I can hit this hybrid and it goes as far or further even depending on the wind strength than my 2i and I can hit this thing out of lies that I couldn't even use a 4 iron on realistically and perhaps even a 5 iron. Β  If I really turn it over it goes a long way on firm fairways, I've hit it 250+ on numerous occasions after roll out including a 304 yard bomb on a downhill, downwind par 5 (where I hit it again from 247 with a high fade slightly uphill and rolled it onto the middle back of the green from the front fringe for my second: no joke).Β  I haven't really tried to hit one hard and high into the wind on the course but it doesn't balloon any worse than an iron so far on the range when I do put a full turn on it.Β  (range balls obviously make a little difference here vs my normal pro vx's)

plus, it's the best chipper/fringe putter around the greens i've ever used!

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue
Β 

Note:Β This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!