IGNORED

Is Rickie Fowler over hyped?

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's a fantastic player and all but he still hasn't won anything or even contended at a big event. Why is he the most hyped American youngster?

Fowler is a young, good looking (to some) kid that has his own sense of style (flat billed cap and colorful clothes) that puts the spotlight on himself.   Puma and golf are trying to connect to younger players, and he's the link.  He needs to win more to win over the older generations, but among the younger ones, he's their guy.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because there really aren't any others to hype right now?  Seems the list of "the next great young US player" gets shorter and shorter.  Kim....Villegas (yes, he's Colombian, but now Floridian)....???

It's because he has an identifiable style and presence, he is good-looking, polite, gives very good interviews (polar opposite of TW), and plays well.

I think he's a breath of fresh air on the Tour and I'm one of the old guys (Paul Harney and Doug Ford, anyone?).

The wins will come.

I think that the media believes that he is what the tour needs. Also, you don't get a whole lot of flair on tour (even though guys with no personality are wearing pink all over the place now) and he stands out. I grew up skateboarding and screwing around, and he is one of the few golfers on tour that I can relate to. I think he is a pretty decent role model for younger kids looking to get in to golf. I bet a lot of younger kids are buying golf clubs and getting out and playing because they see someone they can understand playing at a high level.

Even if he doesn't win any time soon, he's got a great game, he's fun to watch, and good for the tour.

He's good, he's young, and he's got enough flamboyance to get people's attention.  Maybe he pans out, but there are plenty of guys who have been hyped like this (well, minus the particular flavor of flamboyance) who didn't.  Time will tell.  He's interesting to watch, but I'm not going to believe he'll be the next big thing until he starts getting some results.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Right now is he overhyped? Yeah, probably. But the PGA Tour (and Fowler's sponsors) needs to market it's young talent.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Only time will tell whether he delivers on the lofty expectations set before him.  And, despite the fact that he looks like he was shat from a psychedelic rainbow, he appears to be a well-mannered young guy; exactly the sort of new blood that the the PGA and sponsors desperately need to attract the next generation of golfers.  We'll see how the next fee season treat the "highlighter kid".

• Upvote 1

Meh. I bought a Puma hat solely because of him.

Yeah, I look good too.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Its not so much that he is overhyped. He just sets himself up to look VERY silly when he plays bad.

If your gonna be the 'oh look at me everyone' golfer, you need to be consistently good, otherwise you will look like a tit

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

Its not so much that he is overhyped. He just sets himself up to look VERY silly when he plays bad.

If your gonna be the 'oh look at me everyone' golfer, you need to be consistently good, otherwise you will look like a tit

I disagree. He never boasts how good he is ( what he wears is irrelevant ), so when he plays 'bad', I don't see how he looks silly.

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

Well said, I think you nailed it. While you don't necessarily have to dominate if you're going to promote your self as one of the "it" people, you at least have to deliver a win every once in awhile.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

The PGA Tour/media promote him.

He is actually pretty down to earth from what I can tell.

OK....he wears bright colors - hardly promoting - a lot of players wear bright colors now.

22nd on the money list for 2010 - his first year on the PGA Tour and 14th at The Open...3 runner ups and top 50 OWGR - in the first year.....not really over hyped.

Fowler's talent is perhaps slightly underhyped considering that amount of time people spend commenting on his clothing (which is a breath of fresh air in a sport plagued by horrible clothes and no style).

if he can continue what he's doing and limit the blow up holes he'll be challenging for titles on a regular basis.  It takes a lot of talent to make all those birdies but he just lacks some maturity and experience to keep the double bogey's and others under control.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

He's definitely overhyped a little bit - but a lot of young players have been and will continue to be until we find another guy like Tiger...which probably won't happen for a long time, or ever.

So, people are always looking for that next 'great one'...that immortal type of player.

People really overhyped AK too a few years ago...Good players, but people were acting like he was the next Phil or Tiger Lol...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

fowler has more talent than AK...IMO.  We can't expect every young player to dominate at 21 to 23 years old though, gotta give them some time to mature.  It would be similar to the people who try to compare lebron james at 26 to kobe at 33 and Jordan over his whole career: the guy hasn't even hit his prime yet.

• Upvote 1

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Originally Posted by B of H

fowler has more talent than AK...IMO.  We can't expect every young player to dominate at 21 to 23 years old though, gotta give them some time to mature.  It would be similar to the people who try to compare lebron james at 26 to kobe at 33 and Jordan over his whole career: the guy hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Bingo! Even if Fowler doesn't win for 5-10 years, he is good for the tour. I have 3 of his hats and even contemplated buying some orange puma shorts to go with my old school creamsicle Buccaneers polo. Last year I went to the Transitions, Bay Hill, and The Players, and Fowler will literally sign autographs until nobody is left. The kid is doing well for the game and whether he is told to or not, he interacts with the fans like no other.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

Bingo! Even if Fowler doesn't win for 5-10 years, he is good for the tour. I have 3 of his hats and even contemplated buying some orange puma shorts to go with my old school creamsicle Buccaneers polo. Last year I went to the Transitions, Bay Hill, and The Players, and Fowler will literally sign autographs until nobody is left. The kid is doing well for the game and whether he is told to or not, he interacts with the fans like no other.

He's no doubt extremely talented, and he's a feel good story, but maybe he could spend more time on the range and less time signing stuff?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!