IGNORED

Is Rickie Fowler over hyped?

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He is more of a streaky player than he is a consistent par par par kinda guy. I wouldn't say that he can totally eliminate the blow up holes, because they are usually a result of him making a fantastic shot going for eagle or birdie. He does need to turn the doubles into bogeys though.

Rickie has made 11 of 14 cuts

2 top 10's

7 top 25's

3rd on tour in Birdies

14th on tour in Eagles

The kid can play, but when he blows up on one hole, it offsets 3 or 4 good holes.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I disagree. He never boasts how good he is ( what he wears is irrelevant ), so when he plays 'bad', I don't see how he looks silly.

IMO. I think the real reason for him wearing all these bright clothes is so he stands out. Otherwise, lets be honest, he would just be another average player on tour.

And to be fair to him it has worked. But now he needs to deliver to his fans. And i just cant see him winning anything, let alone a major.

And before i get slated for slagging off his clothes, i couldent care less about what he wears.

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

IMO. I think the real reason for him wearing all these bright clothes is so he stands out. Otherwise, lets be honest, he would just be another average player on tour.

And to be fair to him it has worked. But now he needs to deliver to his fans. And i just cant see him winning anything, let alone a major.

And before i get slated for slagging off his clothes, i couldent care less about what he wears.

....really?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

He is more of a streaky player than he is a consistent par par par kinda guy. I wouldn't say that he can totally eliminate the blow up holes, because they are usually a result of him making a fantastic shot going for eagle or birdie. He does need to turn the doubles into bogeys though.

Rickie has made 11 of 14 cuts

2 top 10's

7 top 25's

3rd on tour in Birdies

14th on tour in Eagles

The kid can play, but when he blows up on one hole, it offsets 3 or 4 good holes.

A lot of guys with that go-for-broke atttude had good careers - eventually. Over the years I've seen guys like Calc, Mickelson, Seve, Lanny Wadkins, Norman, Watson, Couples, and a few others have a hole (or round), then erupt for a course record tying round and win. Not every one can be a Tom Kite, Graeme McDowell, Luke Donald, or Hale Irwin and steer the ball around the course. Some guys just don't have that in their nature. It's frustrating as a fan, but it's also fun and exhilerating when they pull it off. Maybe in Rickie's case he's still trying to make up for all the grief he took for laying up late year. There are people who hate Chip Beck with a passion because he laid up at The Masters one time. Those same people are probably mad at Phil because he didn't drain his putt. Nobody talks about how many times Mike Weir and Zach Johnson laid up in the years they won, because the putts dropped.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't think Rickie is over-hyped unless you're some kind of puritan who's crying about Marc Wilson not getting enough recognition. I'm a Rickie guy because of his game. To me, he's got a ton of game. Yes, he's streaky. What golfer, besides Tiger when he was out of his mind a few years ago, isn't or hasn't been?!? None.

Rickie is the kind of player where it wouldn't shock me if his first win came in a major. He's got the game. He, for the most part, plays pretty well under pressure. He can putt the eyes out of it when it matters. Short game, etc. His ball-striking, when it's on, is really exciting. He gets wayward...but, once again, most guys do wax and wane with that. Not everybody's a machine, and even the 'machines' had more ups and down than the rosy glasses of history like to remember.

Rickie gives a lot of folks the feeling, because of his talent and demeanor, that when he starts winning he could go on a mad tear. Now - could it take him a long time to startwinning ? Yes. Might he not ever start winning? Sure. But Rickie's a gamer - so when he puts it together in terms of winning tournaments, it could get scary.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Wilson was wearing a monochrome outfit too on Friday, but it was all brown. I was wondering why the UPS guy was inside the ropes, then I noticed his visor said PING.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

I don't think Rickie is over-hyped unless you're some kind of puritan who's crying about Marc Wilson not getting enough recognition . . .

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i'm a fan of rickie.  i like his style.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Just noticed when looking at the world rankings that Rickie is in danger of dropping out of the top 50 (Currently 48th). Is he in danger of missing the last 2 majors of the year or is he already definitely in them? (Not sure of cut off points and other exemptions etc...)

Originally Posted by deasy55

Just noticed when looking at the world rankings that Rickie is in danger of dropping out of the top 50 (Currently 48th).

Is Fowler overhyped?     According to KnightRidder, there are about 60 million golfers in the world, so at #48 this means that Rickie is better than 99.99992% of all of them.     If I were at that level I'd be so damn obnoxious I probably wouldn't even stand myself.     Rickie has put together a unique brand image, has an effective marketing strategy, and still seems to remain humble and appreciate.   If that's overhyped, I hope we see more of it.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Clambake

Is Fowler overhyped?     According to KnightRidder, there are about 60 million golfers in the world, so at #48 this means that Rickie is better than 99.99992% of all of them.     If I were at that level I'd be so damn obnoxious I probably wouldn't even stand myself.     Rickie has put together a unique brand image, has an effective marketing strategy, and still seems to remain humble and appreciate.   If that's overhyped, I hope we see more of it.

This didn't answer the question you quoted at all

I like Ricky Fowler and imagine he will start winning eventually. I think that one round he will be swinging and we will all be watching as his back snaps into two pieces. I feel like he won't get consistent with his current swing, his shoulder turn is so huge and i'm pretty sure he loses sight of the ball with his right eye on his back swing.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's WAY to early to have any worries on Fowler.  We should give him a bit more time (especially today with all the talnet and competition on tour) before anyone can say he's over-hyped.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I don't think Rickie is overhyped.  He's young, he's got game, and he's a fresh face to golf that attracts the kids........a marketer's dream.  With that said, you can only be "young" for so long before you're no longer fresh faced and hype-able, especially if you can't get a W in on your resume.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

He's come close to winning but still not got that first one.   Rory Mcilroy, for example already has several worldwide wins at the same age and was a bad back 9 from winning the masters this year.   Is Rory more talented than Rickie?   I think they're comparable in talent, Rory is just more consistent at this point.   Even look at someone even younger like Matteo Manasero, who at 18 already has won on the European tour.   Fowler is a great player but there are so many great players now that its hard to win even once let alone multiple times a year.   I think scoring average is a great indicator of consistency and he's currently 35 on the PGA tour in 2011 with a 70.74 average which is very respectable.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

he a good player and will eventually win sometime...i just think he has a good image as far as bringing youth and some attention to the game for popularity since Tiger isnt around. Players like Rickie, Rory, Bubba and Dustin are good as far as bringing a younger audencie to the game. Then theres players like Phil that keeps us around to lol

i don't think rickie is overhyped. i don't think he's really "hyped" at all. i think rory is definitely overhyped, but rickie, no. he's a really nice guy as well, so i wish him all the best.

Note: This thread is 4691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!