IGNORED

Is Rickie Fowler over hyped?

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

good player - yes

overhyped - yes

he is decent enough and will become a multiple winner on tour but wont be anywhere near what you lot over there expect him to become imo

oh, and i cant stand his interviews, they seem to straight (dont really know how to explain it but just weird to me)

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Originally Posted by deasy55

He's a fantastic player and all but he still hasn't won anything or even contended at a big event. Why is he the most hyped American youngster?

All show, no go.     He could use a haircut

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

He could use a haircut

This ^^^^^^^^^   but it's all part of the look

Originally Posted by makaveli

Rickie is focusing more on his look, while Rory and Matteo are focusing more on their fame, big difference!

Agreed.  He's a good player and deserves to be on tour, no doubt. But I think he's already counting the dollars he can make promoting himself, even without the win record.

Burner 2.0 Graphite 4-AW
09 Burner 10.5*
08 #3 Burner 15*
09 Burner 3H
09 Burner 4H
TM-110 putter

Vokey 56.11
Titleist NXT 

Well he has missed the cut in the US Open (barring a miracle) and will probably drop out of the top 50 threshold. Too much pressure has been put on him.

Yeah, there's obviously just no one else for them to hype. AK's injury last year has slowed his career down a little and the media being the way they are, are always looking for the next big thing. If Rickie doesn't win anything this year they'll be looking for someone else to Hype again. AK is a better player anyway  though.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Rickie is focusing more on his look, while Rory and Matteo are focusing more on their fame, big difference!

Tiger Woods is injured. As a result, he's dropping every week in the OWGR. And yet he's still the highest paid athlete in the world because of his legacy, his image, and his brand. Fowler hasn't accomplished much at this point, but regarding where the money is, he's anything but stupid.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

i don't think rickie is overhyped. i don't think he's really "hyped" at all. i think rory is definitely overhyped, but rickie, no. he's a really nice guy as well, so i wish him all the best.

Hi

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Tiger Woods is injured. As a result, he's dropping every week in the OWGR. And yet he's still the highest paid athlete in the world because of his legacy, his image, and his brand. Fowler hasn't accomplished much at this point, but regarding where the money is, he's anything but stupid.

So let's stop calling him a golfer and start calling him a popstar! ;)

New to the forum, hello to everyone. Been trolling through these forums for a few weeks and finally decided to join. Just wanna say a few things about this topic. First of all I believe it is too early to call Rickie overhyped. Wait til he becomes Ty Tryon or maybe a Charles Howell III before you can look back and say, yeah we gave him way too much attention and expectations. As someone previously stated, he had a great rookie year (oh yeah he won the award as ROY).... As for everyone who thinks hes more interested in his looks than winning, how can you make that sort of assertion without even knowing the guy on a personal level? So what he wears bright and flashy colors. He has his own style, and it is unique and very appealing for the younger golfers. When you are young and marketable, yeah all those things come with the territory. However, it really has nothing to do with his inner drive to win golf tournaments. If a couple years down the line he still hasn't done anything spectacular then yeah maybe he has been overhyped. I think a lot of people forget how huge he played in his first Ryder Cup (as a rookie). Sank putt after putt down the stretch just to keep us alive. Let's give him a little more time

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

He has a marketable look and Puma is pretty aggressive in their golf apparel designs.  I can't blame the guy for taking advantage of his full earning potential while he can.  If his golf suffers dramatically he'll get less airtime during tournaments and eventually lose the endorsement deals as well.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really hope Rickie will do something big in the next months like he did in at the Celtic Manor especially vs Edoardo Molinari, otherwise he would become pretty pathetic: from a stylish player to a clown...

Originally Posted by Pablo McGheesio

He gets little attention for his golf and more for his clothes.

They even talk about poulters golf first and his gear is more whacky

Poulter has turned more heads because it was out of the box at the time, but somehow I don't see Poults looking like his clothes came head to toe from the Barbie collection (or maybe Strawberry Shortcake?).

The difference with Poulter and to a lesser extent Fowler is that people are actually purchasing this stuff. I remember Payne Stewart getting air time for his NFL coloured outfits including plus fours and such, but I didn't see many amateur players trying to pull off that ridiculous look on the course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!