Jump to content
IGNORED

Is Rickie Fowler over hyped?


Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

He is more of a streaky player than he is a consistent par par par kinda guy. I wouldn't say that he can totally eliminate the blow up holes, because they are usually a result of him making a fantastic shot going for eagle or birdie. He does need to turn the doubles into bogeys though.

Rickie has made 11 of 14 cuts

2 top 10's

7 top 25's

3rd on tour in Birdies

14th on tour in Eagles

The kid can play, but when he blows up on one hole, it offsets 3 or 4 good holes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I disagree. He never boasts how good he is ( what he wears is irrelevant ), so when he plays 'bad', I don't see how he looks silly.


IMO. I think the real reason for him wearing all these bright clothes is so he stands out. Otherwise, lets be honest, he would just be another average player on tour.

And to be fair to him it has worked. But now he needs to deliver to his fans. And i just cant see him winning anything, let alone a major.

And before i get slated for slagging off his clothes, i couldent care less about what he wears.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

IMO. I think the real reason for him wearing all these bright clothes is so he stands out. Otherwise, lets be honest, he would just be another average player on tour.

And to be fair to him it has worked. But now he needs to deliver to his fans. And i just cant see him winning anything, let alone a major.

And before i get slated for slagging off his clothes, i couldent care less about what he wears.



....really?

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by kpaulhus

He is more of a streaky player than he is a consistent par par par kinda guy. I wouldn't say that he can totally eliminate the blow up holes, because they are usually a result of him making a fantastic shot going for eagle or birdie. He does need to turn the doubles into bogeys though.

Rickie has made 11 of 14 cuts

2 top 10's

7 top 25's

3rd on tour in Birdies

14th on tour in Eagles

The kid can play, but when he blows up on one hole, it offsets 3 or 4 good holes.



A lot of guys with that go-for-broke atttude had good careers - eventually. Over the years I've seen guys like Calc, Mickelson, Seve, Lanny Wadkins, Norman, Watson, Couples, and a few others have a hole (or round), then erupt for a course record tying round and win. Not every one can be a Tom Kite, Graeme McDowell, Luke Donald, or Hale Irwin and steer the ball around the course. Some guys just don't have that in their nature. It's frustrating as a fan, but it's also fun and exhilerating when they pull it off. Maybe in Rickie's case he's still trying to make up for all the grief he took for laying up late year. There are people who hate Chip Beck with a passion because he laid up at The Masters one time. Those same people are probably mad at Phil because he didn't drain his putt. Nobody talks about how many times Mike Weir and Zach Johnson laid up in the years they won, because the putts dropped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Rickie is over-hyped unless you're some kind of puritan who's crying about Marc Wilson not getting enough recognition. I'm a Rickie guy because of his game. To me, he's got a ton of game. Yes, he's streaky. What golfer, besides Tiger when he was out of his mind a few years ago, isn't or hasn't been?!? None.

Rickie is the kind of player where it wouldn't shock me if his first win came in a major. He's got the game. He, for the most part, plays pretty well under pressure. He can putt the eyes out of it when it matters. Short game, etc. His ball-striking, when it's on, is really exciting. He gets wayward...but, once again, most guys do wax and wane with that. Not everybody's a machine, and even the 'machines' had more ups and down than the rosy glasses of history like to remember.

Rickie gives a lot of folks the feeling, because of his talent and demeanor, that when he starts winning he could go on a mad tear. Now - could it take him a long time to startwinning ? Yes. Might he not ever start winning? Sure. But Rickie's a gamer - so when he puts it together in terms of winning tournaments, it could get scary.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Wilson was wearing a monochrome outfit too on Friday, but it was all brown. I was wondering why the UPS guy was inside the ropes, then I noticed his visor said PING.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

I don't think Rickie is over-hyped unless you're some kind of puritan who's crying about Marc Wilson not getting enough recognition . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed when looking at the world rankings that Rickie is in danger of dropping out of the top 50 (Currently 48th). Is he in danger of missing the last 2 majors of the year or is he already definitely in them? (Not sure of cut off points and other exemptions etc...)

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by deasy55

Just noticed when looking at the world rankings that Rickie is in danger of dropping out of the top 50 (Currently 48th).


Is Fowler overhyped?     According to KnightRidder, there are about 60 million golfers in the world, so at #48 this means that Rickie is better than 99.99992% of all of them.     If I were at that level I'd be so damn obnoxious I probably wouldn't even stand myself.     Rickie has put together a unique brand image, has an effective marketing strategy, and still seems to remain humble and appreciate.   If that's overhyped, I hope we see more of it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Clambake

Is Fowler overhyped?     According to KnightRidder, there are about 60 million golfers in the world, so at #48 this means that Rickie is better than 99.99992% of all of them.     If I were at that level I'd be so damn obnoxious I probably wouldn't even stand myself.     Rickie has put together a unique brand image, has an effective marketing strategy, and still seems to remain humble and appreciate.   If that's overhyped, I hope we see more of it.



This didn't answer the question you quoted at all

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Ricky Fowler and imagine he will start winning eventually. I think that one round he will be swinging and we will all be watching as his back snaps into two pieces. I feel like he won't get consistent with his current swing, his shoulder turn is so huge and i'm pretty sure he loses sight of the ball with his right eye on his back swing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's WAY to early to have any worries on Fowler.  We should give him a bit more time (especially today with all the talnet and competition on tour) before anyone can say he's over-hyped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Rickie is overhyped.  He's young, he's got game, and he's a fresh face to golf that attracts the kids........a marketer's dream.  With that said, you can only be "young" for so long before you're no longer fresh faced and hype-able, especially if you can't get a W in on your resume.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's come close to winning but still not got that first one.   Rory Mcilroy, for example already has several worldwide wins at the same age and was a bad back 9 from winning the masters this year.   Is Rory more talented than Rickie?   I think they're comparable in talent, Rory is just more consistent at this point.   Even look at someone even younger like Matteo Manasero, who at 18 already has won on the European tour.   Fowler is a great player but there are so many great players now that its hard to win even once let alone multiple times a year.   I think scoring average is a great indicator of consistency and he's currently 35 on the PGA tour in 2011 with a 70.74 average which is very respectable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

he a good player and will eventually win sometime...i just think he has a good image as far as bringing youth and some attention to the game for popularity since Tiger isnt around. Players like Rickie, Rory, Bubba and Dustin are good as far as bringing a younger audencie to the game. Then theres players like Phil that keeps us around to lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think rickie is overhyped. i don't think he's really "hyped" at all. i think rory is definitely overhyped, but rickie, no. he's a really nice guy as well, so i wish him all the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I saw something about a paid version with putting help and green heat maps.   Definitely looks interesting.  
    • His excuse is several months out of date.  I understand the hesitation for a lot of people from something injected into you.  My wife and I looked into the science, made our decision to get it as soon as we are eligible and did it.  I admit I was nervous.   I did it anyway.   Bryson should just say he’s an anti-vaxxer or scared.  Better than saying tripe like that. Brooks should call him chicken….
    • I checked out the app and I guess you can keep score with it and the GPS.
    • Bryson honey, that is so much BS!  My friend that I played golf with on Monday says he takes vitamin D so therefore he is immune.  I drink red wine... so I'm good too.  Or at least I'll die in a stupor...
    • Been working on this more in the evenings. Hitting a lot of pitch shots then moving into the full swing. It looks like I could still shorten it up somewhat, does the right arm look to bent at the top here?     
  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...