IGNORED

Favorite Michigan courses

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To add to my previous post. I also really like Copper Hills. Really nice par 3s [URL]http://copperhills.com/[/URL]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I played twice this past weekend at Eagle Eye in Bath, MI.  One of the top 3 courses I have ever played, absolutely loved it.  Definitely should check it out.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

Im from Lansing but just recently moved to Rochester Hills and am looking for golf buddies if anyone is out there =)

As far as michigan courses, Ive played a ton of low-mid range ones in central/western michigan.  I haven't played many out here yet.

Id definately recommend Thornapple to anyone going out near Grand Rapids.  Its a beautiful course that isnt crazy expensive (50-60$) and the first par 5 on the front nine that is ~600 yards and goes along the river is beautiful.  Its a great course.  St Ives and Tulley are nice, i think they are a bit overrated though.  St Ives is more for the golfer who loves the hilly tree lined course where as Tulley feels like most recently built courses (and it should since it was built <10 years ago if I remember correctly, a guy in our skins group designed the club house).  I don't really recommend either of them for their peak price though.  Id rather play Thornapple over either of them tbh.

In Lansing the two most enjoyable courses(public) are Eagle Eye and Timber Ridge.  Im not much of a fan of Hawk Hollow or Forest Akers West.  Eagle Eye is pricey at $80-90 and I've never paid the full fee to play it and don't think I ever would but its always in good shape and it has a pretty lay out.  Its quite forgiving off the tee and really the only truley difficult holes are the Par 3's which are extremely difficult (especially the 2nd one on the front 9 which is like 220 from the back tee with water hugging the entire left side and heather on the right so you really have no where except the green to miss).  Timber Ridge is a prettier St. Ives to me and far cheaper.  Timber Ridge has some of the best views from the tee box that ive seen in all the courses ive played.  Its about $60 to $70 and its probably worth the lower range (but being from Central Michigan and with all the deals Im fairly cheap when it comes to golf =) ).  If you are coming to Lansing to play golf and want to spend the money, play those.  If you want a good deal go to Royal Scot which is ~$30 and always in great shape.

Lastly, I've only played a few courses on the east side of the state, but Id stack Shepherds Hollow up there with just about any course I've ever played.  Its absolutely Gorgeous.  Lots of nice elevation changes and pretty tree lined fairways.  Another course which is on the east side but north, up by Lake Huron, would be The Gales.  Ive only played it in the preseason so the conditions werent all that great, but it was a fabulous golf course. Definitely the truest links style course I've had the chance to play.  Its very pretty (just don't get suckered into thinking that its a resort, it isn't, like all things northern michigan "resort" is used quite loosely).  Still a must play if you ever get the chance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to add two more. Pilgrams Run just north of Grand Rapids was a very pleasant experience. Not thrilled with the 18th hole but it is beautiful to look at from the back tee.

Just played Harbor Shores. The new Nicklaus course in Benton Harbor. A great track with probably the trickiest greens I have ever played. Major, major unjuliations. To the point that there have been a lot of criticism that they have too much. There are greens that if you on the wrong area you can't even keep the ball on the green. Hole 10 have a 12', yes 12' rise to the back tier from the front. From the top tier, it is impossible to keep the ball on the green and my test putt ran back down the fairway about 40 yards. But it is a test and beautiful.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

• 5 months later...
If you ever get a chance to play either of these courses. Both are in Southeastern Michigan. they are both in my top 10...and i have played some some major courses. #1 Dunes Club New Buffalo, MI Some of you may have heard about this course...but good luck finding it. That seems to be the hardest part...and they want to keep it that way. Dirt roads, no signs. it has been deemed America's Finest 9 hole course. Only 9 holes? Yea but some holes have up 8 tee boxes from all different angles so even though you are playing the same hole, you would never guess it from the new tee box. No carts either. They have world class caddies that walk you through the course. Words can not even describe this place. It is as immaculate as it can possibly be. Trust me, it is worth every penny! I don't even think they have a website because they want to keep everything a mystery. But you can get more info here. http://www.michianagolf.com/Dunes_Club.html #2 Lost Dunes Club: Bridgeman, MI Its been a Top 100 Courses in America and is a Top 100 modern course for 11 years running. GMAC was there playing the day before I played. Its private but they do let people on early and late in the season. Be prepared for everything...elevation change, water, trees, sand, crazy undulating greens, and a CLASS A experience. It will be pricy but it is all worth it. Forecaddie is required but they are very knowledgeable...at least the one we had was. If they say hit it at a spot, hit it at that spot. If they see to put to a point, do it. And as another added bonus, no houses on the entire course. They have luxury cabins by the clubhouse and that is it. check it out at www.lostdunes.com
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I make it up to the Upper Peninsula every summer and there are some fantastic courses up there.

You absolutely, positively, have to play Timberstone in Iron Mountain. The two courses at Marquette are nice, the Greywalls is just straight ballz. I love the golf up there, it's so incredibly beautiful.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I'm from Washington Twp, but I spent a year up in Lansing. I really liked Timber Ridge. I was usually able to get out pretty cheap and for the money I was really pleased with that course. I live in Washington and work in Auburn Hills now. Try the Orchards, it's at 29 mile rd and Campground in Washington Twp. I personally think it can compete with just about any public course in SE michigan. Copper Hills in Oxford is nice, Shepards Hollow is nice. I'm a fan of Pine Trace in Troy as well. Its usually in pretty good shape and it's 5 minutes from work :) If you are willing to drive a bit, Pine Knob has a nice course in Clarkston as well. Over more on the west side, Huntmore is a really nice course that is always in very great shape. I play 3-4 a week in the summer, you ever need someone to play golf with shoot me a message.

Originally Posted by laconic517

Im from Lansing but just recently moved to Rochester Hills and am looking for golf buddies if anyone is out there =)

As far as michigan courses, Ive played a ton of low-mid range ones in central/western michigan.  I haven't played many out here yet.

Id definately recommend Thornapple to anyone going out near Grand Rapids.  Its a beautiful course that isnt crazy expensive (50-60$) and the first par 5 on the front nine that is ~600 yards and goes along the river is beautiful.  Its a great course.  St Ives and Tulley are nice, i think they are a bit overrated though.  St Ives is more for the golfer who loves the hilly tree lined course where as Tulley feels like most recently built courses (and it should since it was built <10 years ago if I remember correctly, a guy in our skins group designed the club house).  I don't really recommend either of them for their peak price though.  Id rather play Thornapple over either of them tbh.

In Lansing the two most enjoyable courses(public) are Eagle Eye and Timber Ridge.  Im not much of a fan of Hawk Hollow or Forest Akers West.  Eagle Eye is pricey at $80-90 and I've never paid the full fee to play it and don't think I ever would but its always in good shape and it has a pretty lay out.  Its quite forgiving off the tee and really the only truley difficult holes are the Par 3's which are extremely difficult (especially the 2nd one on the front 9 which is like 220 from the back tee with water hugging the entire left side and heather on the right so you really have no where except the green to miss).  Timber Ridge is a prettier St. Ives to me and far cheaper.  Timber Ridge has some of the best views from the tee box that ive seen in all the courses ive played.  Its about $60 to $70 and its probably worth the lower range (but being from Central Michigan and with all the deals Im fairly cheap when it comes to golf =) ).  If you are coming to Lansing to play golf and want to spend the money, play those.  If you want a good deal go to Royal Scot which is ~$30 and always in great shape.

Lastly, I've only played a few courses on the east side of the state, but Id stack Shepherds Hollow up there with just about any course I've ever played.  Its absolutely Gorgeous.  Lots of nice elevation changes and pretty tree lined fairways.  Another course which is on the east side but north, up by Lake Huron, would be The Gales.  Ive only played it in the preseason so the conditions werent all that great, but it was a fabulous golf course. Definitely the truest links style course I've had the chance to play.  Its very pretty (just don't get suckered into thinking that its a resort, it isn't, like all things northern michigan "resort" is used quite loosely).  Still a must play if you ever get the chance.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Played both of those courses this past summer as part of a golf trip myself and 3 buddies went on. Arcadia is the nicest course I have played in my life. I was blown away at the scenary and course conditions. I felt like I was on a coast staring at the ocean all day long.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

#1 Arcadia Bluffs (maybe the best course I’ve played anywhere and I’ve played some good ones like Congressional, etc.) See photo below.

#2 The Masterpiece (part of the Treetops Resort)

I put a lot of stock in scenery and those two courses are tough to beat in that regards. A course with a bunch of McMansions on the perimeter doesn’t do much for me.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Huntmore is a very nice track. Very impressed with how nice they keep it. My step dad wanted to get his brains kicked in so we played the tips one day after it hadnt rained in a week or so.. Between the greens being like glass and playing over 7k yards it was brutal.. fun but brutal.

Originally Posted by Wallstreet

As some have said already #1 course in Michigan is Arcadia Bluffs.  Most beautiful course I have ever played.

Eagle Eye near East Lansing is amazing.  Devil's Ridge in Oxford is great.  On some of the holes you can see miles in every direction and all you see is trees.  Looks close to an up north course.

But one that 8/10 never have heard of, even people who live in Brighton, its called Huntmore Golf Club.  It's tucked away off Old us-23 in Brighton.  It used to be called the golf club of michigan back in 2001 i think (i had a tournament there in high school).  Absolutely great course.  Plays over 7200 from the tips and is very well kept and picturesque.  And the rates are much less than the majority of nice courses in southeast Michigan.  Its very close to my work so I try to play it as much as I can.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

• 6 months later...
Originally Posted by U of M Fan

I play inkster valley the most. Played The Orchards a few weeks ago, very nice course.

I played there on father's day.

I HATED THAT COURSE. How many holes do you need to have a blind tee shot, or a par 5 where you can't take driver?

I didn't realize we had so many Michigan golfers on here. We need to set up a tee time!

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I played there on father's day.

I HATED THAT COURSE. How many holes do you need to have a blind tee shot, or a par 5 where you can't take driver?

I didn't realize we had so many Michigan golfers on here. We need to set up a tee time!

I can only think of one hole at Inkster Valley that has a blind tee shot and that's 11 (terrible golf hole). I guess 1 is a bit blind as well and maybe 7. 2 is the only par 5 where you can't take driver. Wetlands definitely compromise the course but other than 11 it's a fair course. I think it helps that I've played it many times.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MSchott

I can only think of one hole at Inkster Valley that has a blind tee shot and that's 11 (terrible golf hole). I guess 1 is a bit blind as well and maybe 7. 2 is the only par 5 where you can't take driver. Wetlands definitely compromise the course but other than 11 it's a fair course. I think it helps that I've played it many times.

I'm thinking of a hole across the road where it's a straight out par 4, then a 90* to the left.

If you look at the scorecard (or stone at the tee, can't remember) it says it is straight out.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Michigan has so many great courses...it was a great state to grow up in and learn the game of golf.  St. Ives by far is the nicest course I've played in Michigan (I only played in Northern Michigan once).  Other nice ones include Bucks Run (Mt. Pleasant) and The Sanctuary (Troy).

Just finished a golf trip of southern Michigan. We played Shephard's Hollow (Clarkston), The Majestic (Hartland), Thousand Oaks (Grand Rapids), Pilgrim's Run (Pierson), and Hawk's Head (South Haven). All great courses, but I'd rank Pilgrim's run first, then Shephard's Hollow, then Hawk's Head, with The Majestic just ahead of Thousand Oaks. Someone had previously mentioned Pilgrim's run 18th hole. One of the most fun par four final holes I've ever played. The hole measures 322 from the blues if measuring along the fairway. Tee shot from a 30 foot elevated area, narrow fairway, and huge bail out to the left, but it's a 250 yd all carry over water if going straight at the green (it was into the wind the day I played it) 18th hole Pilgrim's Run

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I'm thinking of a hole across the road where it's a straight out par 4, then a 90* to the left.

If you look at the scorecard (or stone at the tee, can't remember) it says it is straight out.

Yes, the second hole. Definitely a goofy hole. A layup off the tee and a layup second unless you want to challenge the creek in front of the green. Not one of the best holes on the course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree but who is going to be the one to put it all together?

Originally Posted by 3PuttKing

I agree but who is going to be the one to put it all together?

I would gladly, it's as easy as sending me a PM on what days everyone can play (it's gotta be a saturday or sunday for me). I'll set up one on a Saturday/Sunday at a course in the tri-county area for however many we need.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!