Jump to content
IGNORED

Favorite Michigan courses


Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Great thread, surprised I missed it!

I got the opportunity to play Indianwood the old course, and it was absolutely fantastic.  Extremely difficult.

Our group likes to get our deals online, so some of the better public courses we've tried would be Lyon Oaks, Tanglewood, Boulder Pointe, West Wynd, The Orchards, and Mystic Creek.  Some of them are very affordable booking online.

Haven't been to Arcadia Bluffs, but it's on my to do list this summer!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would argue that Crystal Downs is much tougher to get on than Oakland Hills South. I've played South in an outing.....great track - very difficult. Have not found a way to get on Crystal yet.....I'm h

I live in Florida now but have always said the best state to play golf in is Michigan. I used to work in the golf business on the west side of the state and there are a ton of good courses you can play for not a lot of money. Bedford Valley, Stonehendge courses, Milham part is a great muni. There are a ton in that area (Kalamazoo/Battle Creek).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bucki1968

I live in Florida now but have always said the best state to play golf in is Michigan. I used to work in the golf business on the west side of the state and there are a ton of good courses you can play for not a lot of money. Bedford Valley, Stonehendge courses, Milham part is a great muni. There are a ton in that area (Kalamazoo/Battle Creek).

If Michigan had a warmer climate, it would be one of, if not THE best destination for golfers.  Of course the upside to having a short season, is that our course conditions are typically phenomenal during the season due to the long period of time with no play on them.  Also the abundance of fantastic PUBLIC tracts is a great benefit as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed the Royal Highlands at Canadian Lakes this year. The Highlands is my favorite. Visited them several time this year.

Hit Pilgams Run and that was a fun course. Snow Snake in Harrison is a great course too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone have a favorite course in Michigan?

I'm in metro Detroit and have played many courses ranging from horrid to spectacular. I have to say that locally, some of my favorites are Cherry Creek, West Wynd (semi-private), The Orchards, Greystone and Copper Hills. I've been able to play some nice courses up north as well and would like to share my list; Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry), which is without question the nicest courses I've played to date, have not played the Preserve there. Treetops, Garland, Elk Ridge and The Loone. We just booked our annual golf trip for this spring and am very excited because we will be playing the four top rated courses in Michigan in one long weekend; Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry again), and Tulleymore. We are also going to play St. Ives and Crooked Tree. Definitely would love to hear you guys thoughts on these courses as they will all be new to me except Bay Harbor. Thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TigerFan1973

I'm in metro Detroit and have played many courses ranging from horrid to spectacular. I have to say that locally, some of my favorites are Cherry Creek, West Wynd (semi-private), The Orchards, Greystone and Copper Hills.

I've been able to play some nice courses up north as well and would like to share my list; Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry), which is without question the nicest courses I've played to date, have not played the Preserve there. Treetops, Garland, Elk Ridge and The Loone.

We just booked our annual golf trip for this spring and am very excited because we will be playing the four top rated courses in Michigan in one long weekend; Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry again), and Tulleymore. We are also going to play St. Ives and Crooked Tree.

Definitely would love to hear you guys thoughts on these courses as they will all be new to me except Bay Harbor. Thanks!!

Just as a suggestion, I would suggest playing True North instead of Crooked Tree (unless CT is part of a package at Boyne).  True North is semi-private, but you can play once per year without being a member.  Jim Engh design (also designed Tullymore), with lots of elevation changes.  It's one of my favorites up north and a big step up from Crooked Tree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that for sure!! The guys I'm playing with have played True North and thought as highly of it as you. Although, they thought it went private, not semi-private, and didn't realize we could still get on there. If this info is still accurate, we probably WILL switch!! Thanks again!!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TigerFan1973

I'm in metro Detroit and have played many courses ranging from horrid to spectacular. I have to say that locally, some of my favorites are Cherry Creek, West Wynd (semi-private), The Orchards, Greystone and Copper Hills.

I've been able to play some nice courses up north as well and would like to share my list; Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry), which is without question the nicest courses I've played to date, have not played the Preserve there. Treetops, Garland, Elk Ridge and The Loone.

We just booked our annual golf trip for this spring and am very excited because we will be playing the four top rated courses in Michigan in one long weekend; Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor (Links, Quarry again), and Tulleymore. We are also going to play St. Ives and Crooked Tree.

Definitely would love to hear you guys thoughts on these courses as they will all be new to me except Bay Harbor. Thanks!!

Arcadia will not dissapoint. My personal opinion is it is the nicest public course in Michigan. Sounds like a great trip, have fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bay Harbor is amazingly pricey lol. I love the links course but I probably could have done without the quarry course. I loved playing all the treetops courses, especially the signature, threetops, and masterpiece I believe were my favorites. Eagle eye was nice but I played in December so the greens weren't in the best shape but still nice. Northville Hills is fun and very challenging, tough bunkers and the course makes you use every club in the bag.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TigerFan1973

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that for sure!! The guys I'm playing with have played True North and thought as highly of it as you. Although, they thought it went private, not semi-private, and didn't realize we could still get on there. If this info is still accurate, we probably WILL switch!! Thanks again!!


Was just at the golf show in GR and it was confirmed that my info was out of date.  You could probably still get on True North, but it's a lot more work now.  I would still look at playing something besides Crooked Tree, like Lochenheath in Traverse City or even just another Boyne course like Heather or Arthur Hills.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by eich41

Was just at the golf show in GR and it was confirmed that my info was out of date.  You could probably still get on True North, but it's a lot more work now.  I would still look at playing something besides Crooked Tree, like Lochenheath in Traverse City or even just another Boyne course like Heather or Arthur Hills.


Lochenheath is outstanding. Three other great choices up that way are Dunmaglas and Belvedere in Charlevoix and Cedar River at Shanty Creek. Another Weiskopf design. Belvedere is a country club that allows outside play. It's an old fashioned course beautifully routed. Dunmaglas is a fine course off the beaten track.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MSchott

Lochenheath is outstanding. Three other great choices up that way are Dunmaglas and Belvedere in Charlevoix and Cedar River at Shanty Creek. Another Weiskopf design. Belvedere is a country club that allows outside play. It's an old fashioned course beautifully routed. Dunmaglas is a fine course off the beaten track.


Yes those are all great choices.  Throw in A-Ga-Ming Sundance as well.  You might have to take some additional time off work.  How much vacation time do you have???

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I haven't played that many courses in Michigan yet (as I just moved here recently) but some of the favourites I have so far are:

1. Warwick Hills Country Club (Grand Blanc, MI) (Former host of the Buick Open)

2. Red Run Country Club (Royal Oak, MI)

3. Detroit Country Club (Detroit, MI) (My university's team plays here: Detroit Mercy)

4. The Jewel of Grand Blanc (Grand Blanc, MI)

5. Southmoore Golf Club (Burton, Michigan) (Nice and cheap course that was remodeled in late 2012)

Link to post
Share on other sites

My perspective is from living and playing in SE Michigan for 38 years.  I do not generally include private courses in any discussion about "best" or "most fun" as many people never have a chance to play those courses.  I have played most public courses in the area surrounding Detroit  There are so many fine layouts that it is hard to distill one's selections of "Best" down to a handful.

For me, one of the most interesting and fun courses is the University of Michigan course (you need an alum or student in the foursome but otherwise it is open).  It is not terribly long (6,687 yards) from the tips but most of us should play a more friendly set of tees any way.  Each hole is unique and the course is routed over and around a large ridge so there are large elevation changes on many holes.  The bunker complexes are numerous and well-sited.  One better have pinpoint accuracy on approach shots or a great sand game.  Frankly, I have never played on greens with the slopes and shapes that Alister MacKenzie created - and I have played Ross's Pinehurst No. 2 and Oakland Hills South. Some of these greens scream "3 putt."  Do yourself a favor and find a Michigan alum who plays golf and visit this course.

A few municipal courses among the long list of excellent Michigan courses that are worth a look are Pierce Lake (Chelsea), Lyon Oaks (Wixom), Leslie Park (Ann Arbor) and Cascades (Jackson).  I have heard Binder Park (Battle Creek) is an excellent facility but I have not played there ... yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Dan42nepa
      Dan42nepa
      (65 years old)
    2. James Dalton
      James Dalton
      (80 years old)
    3. JMHARDING
      JMHARDING
      (31 years old)
    4. mwh1023
      mwh1023
      (54 years old)
    5. Skeesh
      Skeesh
      (49 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...