IGNORED

Favorite Michigan courses

Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have a favorite course in Michigan?

Callaway FT-iq Driver 10.5

TaylorMade Burner Irons 4-AW

TaylorMade Rescue 3

Callaway Diablo 5w

Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges

Odyssey 2-ball Putter

I don't have a favorite, there are so many great public tracks in our state.

In SE Michigan some favorites are Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, Timber Trace in Pinckney, The Majestic in Highland and a local favorite for me, Farmington Hills GC. Up north a favorite is the Ross course at Boyne Highlands along with High Pointe in Williamsburg (unfortunately out of business) and Forest Dunes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't really been too far north (I'm from Taylor), but I've been as south as Lake Erie Links. That being said it is one of my favorite courses as well as Erie Metropark. For the value Taylor Meadows is unbeatable - full course, < 20 for residents ;) and they keep it up very nice. Lakes of Taylor is also a very nice course but I wouldn't put it in my top 5, sure it's very well kept, but there is nothing distinctive about it at all, it seems all the holes don't flow together at all.

Anyone from Michigan ever wants a playing partner, send me a PM. As I said I am from Taylor so I'd like to stay within ~45 minutes

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

My wife is from Michigan, so I've played a few courses up there. Shephard's Hollow and Wolverine are two of my favorites

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I just moved up here a few weeks ago.  Ive played both Warren Valley courses, Idlywyld, and Glenhurst.  Glenhurst is a nice cheap course, but its ALWAYS packed, at least when Ive been there.  I just played Glen Oaks yesterday, yeah its no championship course, but for a municipal course it is very nice.  I might try to play Taylor Meadows this weekend, heard lots of good things from coworkers

Egypt Valley if you have connections (in Ada) and Thornapple Pointe is AWESOME! right around Gerald R. Ford Int'l Airport. B-E-A-UTIFUL course though.

Handicap: 5

Home Course: The Highlands (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Nice to see another downriver resident on the forums Matt! I live in Taylor on the weekends when I go to my Dad's house, and during the week when I'm with my Mom, only 10 minutes from Lake Erie, and it's a great course, really fast greens though.

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

I play inkster valley the most. Played The Orchards a few weeks ago, very nice course.

TaylorMade Rescue 3

Callaway Diablo 5w

Odyssey 2-ball Putter

Originally Posted by U of M Fan

I play inkster valley the most. Played The Orchards a few weeks ago, very nice course.

I've played Inkster Valley many times. It's a nice track with a few goofy holes due to wetlands restrictions.

Indianwood CC, old course (home of the 2012 Senior open), Shepards Hollow, Oakhurst, Orchards.

#1 Arcadia Bluffs (maybe the best course I’ve played anywhere and I’ve played some good ones like Congressional, etc.) See photo below.
#2 The Masterpiece (part of the Treetops Resort)

I put a lot of stock in scenery and those two courses are tough to beat in that regards. A course with a bunch of McMansions on the perimeter doesn’t do much for me.

chip-henderson-arcadia-bluffs-golf-course.jpg

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

#1 Arcadia Bluffs (maybe the best course I’ve played anywhere and I’ve played some good ones like Congressional, etc.) See photo below.

#2 The Masterpiece (part of the Treetops Resort)

I put a lot of stock in scenery and those two courses are tough to beat in that regards. A course with a bunch of McMansions on the perimeter doesn’t do much for me.

There should be a link to this photo in the "why do I need a 2-iron" thread!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

For the value Taylor Meadows is unbeatable - full course, < 20 for residents ;) and they keep it up very nice. Lakes of Taylor is also a very nice course but I wouldn't put it in my top 5, sure it's very well kept, but there is nothing distinctive about it at all, it seems all the holes don't flow together at all.

Anyone from Michigan ever wants a playing partner, send me a PM. As I said I am from Taylor so I'd like to stay within ~45 minutes

I have to disagree with you about lakes. I think that is one of the nicest, and tougher courses in SE Michigan. I think the layout is great especially compared to Meadows. Meadows is a fine course but its more of a feel good course in my opinion. Moose Ridge is my favorite course within an hour, it has a very up north feel to it. St. Ives, Tullymore and Bucks Run are my 3 favorite central Michigan courses. I'll be doing treerops, forest Dunes, and the tribute this summer, I've heard they are all awesome tracks.

What's in my sunmountain.gif C-130 Bag:
callaway.gif -Razr X Black irons

RBZ 3 Hybrid

-Burner 2.0 3 wood

- Burner Driver 9.5*

SCOR Golf- 41* 45* 49* 53* 57* wedges

odyssey.gif White Ice 2 Ball Putter

-Pro V1X balls

I have to disagree with you about lakes. I think that is one of the nicest, and tougher courses in SE Michigan. I think the layout is great especially compared to Meadows. Meadows is a fine course but its more of a feel good course in my opinion. Moose Ridge is my favorite course within an hour, it has a very up north feel to it. St. Ives, Tullymore and Bucks Run are my 3 favorite central Michigan courses. I'll be doing treerops, forest Dunes, and the tribute this summer, I've heard they are all awesome tracks.

I agree about Taylor meadows. I live a couple miles from it and I probably won't play it at all this year. I will be playing St Johns, Eagle Crest, and Pheasant Run in the next couple weeks. I have coupons for all three and each one will be cheaper and nicer than meadows. If you guys arent signed up on group golfer.com yet, than your missing out.

TaylorMade Rescue 3

Callaway Diablo 5w

Odyssey 2-ball Putter

Group golfer is awesome! I have saved so much money from that site. The best deal so for was 2 rounds and a night stay at treetops for 2 people for only $150. Lessonongolf.com is also a money saver

What's in my sunmountain.gif C-130 Bag:
callaway.gif -Razr X Black irons

RBZ 3 Hybrid

-Burner 2.0 3 wood

- Burner Driver 9.5*

SCOR Golf- 41* 45* 49* 53* 57* wedges

odyssey.gif White Ice 2 Ball Putter

-Pro V1X balls

I'm originally from the Detroit area - here are my favorite public tracks in SE Michigan:

-Cherry Creek

-The Orchards

-Greystone

-Rackham

-Glacier Club

In terms of "Up North" public golf, you can't beat Arcadia Bluffs. It is expensive, but well well worth it. My only issue with Arcadia is that lodging options are limited, although they did recently renovate the club house so it now includes a handful of rooms on-site. By far the most scenic course I've ever played or seen in person. I have not played any of the Bay Harbor nines, but hear they are impressive.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I absolutely have to chime in here.  While I haven't played much golf up north, I have played most of the courses in southeast Michigan at least once (which you know is more than a handful of choices).  I've never ranked them, but I will try my best, and comment on a couple that have been mentioned here.

First of all, Taylor Meadows is no comparison to Lakes of Taylor IMO.  Lakes is a FAR better course, with a handful of the holes having a TPC look and feel.  I'd venture to say that the front nine at Lakes is probably one of the toughest 9 holes in SE Michigan (long with many forced carries).

I'm in a league at Eagle Crest, but on the contrary, I'm not a big fan of it.  I'm only in the league because a lot of my friends are in it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but its "target golf" at its finest which is not my cup of tea.

Inkster Valley is very challenging, and well kept.  It can be frustratingly difficult at times, but its worth it a few times per year.

Warren valley is horribly kept (last time I played it was anyway, not sure if thats changed in the past 10 years).  Glenhurst is "tracky".

I'm from Canton, and while Pheasant run is a nice layout that is very well kept, it is quite pricey.  $45 to $55 for 18 holes in spring and fall???  Get real.

Northville Hills is super, but murderously difficult.  I'm not sure I will ever play an Arnold Palmer design again.

I'm surprised Links of Novi or Coyote Golf Club have not been mentioned yet.  The East 9 at Links of Novi feels like anything I've played up north.  Both courses are reasonably priced for what they offer.

Lake Erie Metropark is a gem.  Very forgiving, but beautiful nonetheless.  ALL the Metropark courses are a great value, and layout.

Everybody should walk 9 holes at Wyandotte Shores for $14 ... a rare gem.

Actually, I can't rank them, but some of my favs and non-favs are mentioned above.  I love Michigan, and we have some of the best golf around.  I will say that my personal FAVORITE is probably Links of Novi because of the sum of all thats great about it:  the laidback staff, the 27 hole layout, the price, the up north feel, and the east 9.  The course that I would like to play more but can't really afford is Northville Hills or The Inn at St John's.

Some more that I really like but forgot to mention are: Tanglewood, Mystic Creek, Moose Ridge, Farmington Hills GC, Fox Creek.

Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!