IGNORED

Favorite Michigan courses

Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ItinerantGolfer

Up north Arcadia Bluffs is definitely one of the best there is.  Great views and a fun course.  Its a long drive from the Detroit area though.

And $170!

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I have played a number of Michigan courses. My number 1 choice would be Kingley Club a private course near Traverse City. Other great courses St. Ives, Tullymore, Eagle Eye, and maybe 100 more. Michigan has great courses.

How did I miss this thread???

I need to split this into 2 categories:

Private - Oakland Hills, and I grew up in Mid Michigan - so The Country Club of Jackson...and on the to do list Crystal Downs and

Public (or semi) - The Cascades & The Grande (Jackson)

Hawk Hollow (1-18 (not a fan of 19-27)), Eagle Eye, Timber Ridge (but they need to get it back into shape) and The Falcon (with my son who is just starting out) - all in Lansing

Clearbrook & The Ravines - Saugatuck area - want to get down to Hawkshead

Coyote Preserve - Fenton

Forrest Dunes, The Dream & The Nightmare - Roscommon area

Hidden River Golf & Casting Club - between Harbor Springs & Mackinaw City

Arcadia Bluffs - most scenic course in the state (though I haven't played Bay Harbor)

On the to do list - Bay Harbor, Black Lake, Pilgrims Run, Thorn Apple Pointe + many more

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

How did I miss this thread???

I need to split this into 2 categories:

Private - Oakland Hills, and I grew up in Mid Michigan - so The Country Club of Jackson...and on the to do list Crystal Downs and

Public (or semi) - The Cascades & The Grande (Jackson)

Hawk Hollow (1-18 (not a fan of 19-27)), Eagle Eye, Timber Ridge (but they need to get it back into shape) and The Falcon (with my son who is just starting out) - all in Lansing

Clearbrook & The Ravines - Saugatuck area - want to get down to Hawkshead

Coyote Preserve - Fenton

Forrest Dunes, The Dream & The Nightmare - Roscommon area

Hidden River Golf & Casting Club - between Harbor Springs & Mackinaw City

Arcadia Bluffs - most scenic course in the state (though I haven't played Bay Harbor)

On the to do list - Bay Harbor, Black Lake, Pilgrims Run, Thorn Apple Pointe + many more

Have you actually played at Oakland Hills, and if so how did you get on the course to play it.  It's the hardest course to play in Michigan in my opinion due to the strict membership requirements.

I was talking to a girl at the bar last night, turns out she is a friend of a friend's girlfriend.

Long story short, she works at TPC and can bring friends in for free.

swooooooooon.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Motown88

Have you actually played at Oakland Hills, and if so how did you get on the course to play it.  It's the hardest course to play in Michigan in my opinion due to the strict membership requirements.

I've played it 4 times - North once as a kid in a tournament, South as part of an outing, North twice as an adult with customers/suppliers.

Originally Posted by Motown88

Would argue that Crystal Downs is much tougher to get on than Oakland Hills South. I've played South in an outing.....great track - very difficult. Have not found a way to get on Crystal yet.....I'm heading to Arcadia Bluffs in 2 weeks....maybe I'll go hang in the parking lot at Crystal Downs and see if anyone needs a fourth??!!

• Upvote 1

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by laconic517

Im from Lansing but just recently moved to Rochester Hills and am looking for golf buddies if anyone is out there =)

As far as michigan courses, Ive played a ton of low-mid range ones in central/western michigan.  I haven't played many out here yet.

Id definately recommend Thornapple to anyone going out near Grand Rapids.  Its a beautiful course that isnt crazy expensive (50-60$) and the first par 5 on the front nine that is ~600 yards and goes along the river is beautiful.  Its a great course.  St Ives and Tulley are nice, i think they are a bit overrated though.  St Ives is more for the golfer who loves the hilly tree lined course where as Tulley feels like most recently built courses (and it should since it was built <10 years ago if I remember correctly, a guy in our skins group designed the club house).  I don't really recommend either of them for their peak price though.  Id rather play Thornapple over either of them tbh.

In Lansing the two most enjoyable courses(public) are Eagle Eye and Timber Ridge.  Im not much of a fan of Hawk Hollow or Forest Akers West.  Eagle Eye is pricey at $80-90 and I've never paid the full fee to play it and don't think I ever would but its always in good shape and it has a pretty lay out.  Its quite forgiving off the tee and really the only truley difficult holes are the Par 3's which are extremely difficult (especially the 2nd one on the front 9 which is like 220 from the back tee with water hugging the entire left side and heather on the right so you really have no where except the green to miss).  Timber Ridge is a prettier St. Ives to me and far cheaper.  Timber Ridge has some of the best views from the tee box that ive seen in all the courses ive played.  Its about $60 to $70 and its probably worth the lower range (but being from Central Michigan and with all the deals Im fairly cheap when it comes to golf =) ).  If you are coming to Lansing to play golf and want to spend the money, play those.  If you want a good deal go to Royal Scot which is ~$30 and always in great shape.

Lastly, I've only played a few courses on the east side of the state, but Id stack Shepherds Hollow up there with just about any course I've ever played.  Its absolutely Gorgeous.  Lots of nice elevation changes and pretty tree lined fairways.  Another course which is on the east side but north, up by Lake Huron, would be The Gales.  Ive only played it in the preseason so the conditions werent all that great, but it was a fabulous golf course. Definitely the truest links style course I've had the chance to play.  Its very pretty (just don't get suckered into thinking that its a resort, it isn't, like all things northern michigan "resort" is used quite loosely).  Still a must play if you ever get the chance.

Thornapple better than Tullymore and St. Ives?  Grand Rapids locals refer to Thornapple as "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles".  If you're into hearing traffic on the freeway, having planes buzz 200 feet above your head on the way to the runway, and having trains run through the middle of the course while you're playing, I can see where you might think Thornapple is better than Tullymore.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but honestly I would put Thornapple 4th in Grand Rapids, behind Pilgrim's Run, Thousand Oaks, and The Mines.  (Speaking only of public tracks.  If we throw private in Thornapple falls to about 8th or 9th).  And Grand Rapids isn't a particularly strong area for golf.  IMO Thornapple is one of the most overrated and overpriced courses in the whole state.  Different strokes I guess...

I finally played Tullymore yesterday - very nice track, challenging layout with 5 tees (so you can choose challenging/long you want it to be), the course was in very good condition, and we had great service in the clubhouse and at the turn. (great deal on fees on golfnow.com)

Now I want to go back and play all day with a round at St. Ives and another at Tullymore.

Tully will certainly get into my playing rotation; more than once or twice a year if it wasn't so close to nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

in no order....of places i've played

Ravines - Saugatuck

Ramshorn - Fremont

Tullymore - stanwood

St Ives - stanwood

The Majestic

Lynx - allendale

Diamond Springs- hamilton

Grand Valley State's golf course

Eldorado - cadillac

It is what it is

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Grand Rapids and played alot of golf around there.  I have to say that Saskatoon Gold has to be my all time favorite.  Not the fanciest or most elite course in the world, but reasonably priced and very well kept.  Still waiting on my chance to play Egypt Valley, one day....  Many great courses to chose from though in the area.  It's great to be able to golf 365 in AZ but there is something about a spring morning on the course in MI that just can't be replicated.

Originally Posted by jaysvw

I grew up in Grand Rapids and played alot of golf around there.  I have to say that Saskatoon Gold has to be my all time favorite.  Not the fanciest or most elite course in the world, but reasonably priced and very well kept.  Still waiting on my chance to play Egypt Valley, one day....  Many great courses to chose from though in the area.  It's great to be able to golf 365 in AZ but there is something about a spring morning on the course in MI that just can't be replicated.

Yes, the GR area is blessed with many great courses and there are others within a reasonable drive. I've played Thousand Oaks which is great, Saskatoon, Grand Haven Golf Club and a favorite, Hawks Head in South Haven.

I just returned from my 25th outing to northern Michigan.  This time around we played The Bear, Majestic/Tree Tops, Alpine/Boyne and Grandview in Kalkaska.

Majestic at Tree Tops was by far the prettiest golf course but it was also kind of unfair with fairways that funnel to ravines so deep that you can't play your ball.  Greens are tricky because you have the influence of the hills so that downhill looking putt may actually be an uphiller.

The Alpine at Boyne was a nice test.  Playing downhill the first few holes gives you some relax time before you get into the course.  Fairways are wide the course is very playable.

The Bear was also very enjoyable.  Wide fairways but your iron game had better be on as the greens have many small peninsulas to place pins in.  If you miss the small greens the traps are very deep and the run off areas very steep.  Slope is 140 from the middle tees.

Grandview was a low priced gem.  We played 36 holes for $45.00.  The course is scenic, has some quirkiness to it, but is a lot of fun to play.  Greens held very well.  Years ago the greens were rock hard and the ball would bounce off no matter how high your approach shot.

In 25 years of heading north I've played every course up there.  True North, Bay Harbor, all the other Boyne Courses (Crooked Tree is a real gem), all the Tree Top Courses, Elk Ridge, Garland Courses, The King, dumanglass, The Torch, all the Shanty Creek Courses, the courses along Traverse Bay, etc.

Bottom line, it's beautiful golf up there.  If you have never played Northern Michigan you're missing something every golfer should experience.

• 1 month later...

There is nothing like golfing in Northern Michigan.  My top 10 is as follows:

MY TOP TEN

1 . Black Lake - Onaway MI

2. Treetops - Gaylord MI

3.  Forest Dunes - Roscommon MI

4.  Kingsley Club - Kingsley MI

5. Lost Dunes - Bridgman MI

6.  Sheppards Hollow - Clarkston MI

7.  Eagle Eye - Bath MI

8.  Hawkseye - Bellaire MI

9.  Cedar River - Bellaire Mi

10.  Black Forest - Gaylord MI

FYI...I have not golfed Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore, Boyne Courses, True North, U.P. Courses

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy Mystic Creek in Milford.   Three 9s completely different and very scenic.    Up north, I enjoyed playing the courses at Crystal Mountain.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The wife is from there, I have had the pleasure of playing many Michigan courses. I have to say my favorite was Shepherds Hollow in Clarkston. I also enjoyed all three courses at the Grand Traverse Resort up north.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!