IGNORED

Mizuno JPX-800 Pros vs. Titleist AP1 710s

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by beachgolfer

Wow. sounds like we have similar tastes in clubs. I too had the '09 Burners and opted for the JPX800 PRO's after considering the AP1's and the CB2's. I was on the fence and the JPX's felt really nice. I'm a high handicapper but, I play 2-3 times a week and am getting better with them. If anyone cares, I ordered them with the KBS shafts.

I don't think you could go wrong on any of those clubs but, what sold me was the "feel" of the JPX800's.

Enjoy.

What were your impressions on the difference between the two clubs? I currently am hitting 09 burners too and have a fitting line up at the Mizuno store in 2 weeks. I haven't hit any other irons yet and keep thinking to myself is it really necessary to spend $$ on new irons when my current ones are perfectly adequate. But then I look at photos of them and think I HAVE to have them!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Quote:
What were your impressions on the difference between the two clubs? I currently am hitting 09 burners too and have a fitting line up at the Mizuno store in 2 weeks. I haven't hit any other irons yet and keep thinking to myself is it really necessary to spend $$ on new irons when my current ones are perfectly adequate. But then I look at photos of them and think I HAVE to have them!

Mega difference in feel, control and on mis-hits. I personally had an "accuracy" problem with the Burners. Especially when it came to judging distance. A huge + is on mis-hits. The Burners used to sting big-time on thin shots. The Mizuno's still feel "soft" when you blow it. Also, it's important to point out that the Mizuno's are a forged club. I'm told that is what aids in the softness and feel.

I'm not sure there is ever a good time to spend $$$ on clubs when you don't HAVE to. But, in my case, it proved to be a good move and I don't regret it one bit. I should point out that I had no idea I would end up with Mizuno's until someone on this board suggested I try them before making a final decision on any club. I need to buy that guy a cold beer

I hope this helps. And by the way, they look good as well!

Let me know how this turns out...

910D2 9.5°
 Baffler Rail Fairway 3F 15.5°
IDEA Tech V3 3i 19°

G20 Hybrid  23°
JPX800PRO 5-GW

SM 56°, 64°
  KOMBI-S Mid 43"

Mizuno clubs were not on my radar at all... 2nd week with them and I love them. These clubs are sweet.

Swing them at a store but you must take a demo 6i out to the course and feel it in action.

If you decide on JPX 800 Pros, PM me and I'll give you the name of the seller i bought mine from on ebay. Legit clubs and $550 w/ free shipping and no tax.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went and got fit for the JPX800 pro's yesterday. Man I just can't stop thinking about them.

I started off with the shaft optimiser which showed a swing speed of 80-82mph and a very smooth tempo. Embarrasingly enough this showed the best fit shaft being graphite! The fitter immediately dismissed a graphite shaft being optimal seeing as I am in my 20's and still improving my swing. So the steel shafts the program recommended were the Dynamic Gold SL R300 and the NS Pro 970. After hitting both for a rather lengthy period I settled on the NS Pro, slightly lighter but also seemed to be easier to hit. I tried a SL S300 but immediately it was pretty hard to hit. Since I like the NS Pro we tried it in 1/2" longer, which again seemed to be quite good. It had the same shaft length as my burner 09 6 iron.

I tried the JPX800 Pro with NS Pro 1/2+ shaft vs my burner and the launch monitor was showing the best part of 10-12m longer and it was straighter, I couldn't believe it. The fitter said the launch monitor usually reads ~5m short too. My burner 6i used to go about 155-165 and the monitor was showing 150-160 constantly. With the JPX I was regularly hitting longer than 170m (thats nearly 200 yards!). Next we tested lie angle. I hit on the lie board with the standard JPX800 and it showed I was hitting towards the toe. So I tried the +2 degree and instantly it was a lot easier to not hit the ball fat/thin off the mat. The launch monitor didn't seem to show much improvement though. I tried hitting my burner off the lie board which showed I was hitting towards the toe too, probably 1-2 degrees flat for me. That would explain why my divots always end with a V shape and not a clean 90 degree line.

So I pulled the pin and seeing as he offered me a good trade on my old irons I am expecting a 4-PW set of JPX800 pro's in 2 weeks with + 1/2" NS Pro 970 shafts and +2 degree lie angle. I can't wait.

In respect to a comparison to the Burners the feel is so different, I know exactly what everyone means about forged clubs now. The burners feel so hollow when you hit them, the JPX are just so solid it is amazing. My only concern now is my gap between PW and 52 degree wedge. I already had an issue with the burners having a 25-30m gap between clubs, if I hit the JPX 5-10m further it may even be more problematic. I may have to adjust my wedges and go to 50-54-58 or I could get my 52 bent to 51 and see how that goes.

Will post back when they arrive with my thoughts.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by max power

Great sticks.  Only surprise is that you didn't go with the Dynalite XP shafts, since you were specifically looking for a higher ballflight.

Just played 4 consecutive rounds over the July 4th weekend (Friday-Monday).  Played a round by myself on Friday at a new course and shot an 84.  Hit more greens in regulation than normal...putting was awful.  Saturday-Monday played best ball and my foursome used my shots the majority of the time.  Hitting fairways and greens consistantly.  Great results with the new sticks.  Project X 6.0 shafts give me a very nice mid-high ball flight.  Hitting long irons much higher AND straighter than Burners.  Ball lands soft and sticks which is amazing.  Great feeling.  Even with off center hits, still getting great results (not as great as Burners)..but with the feedback I know when the contact is slightly off (with Burners, off center hits were hard to tell).  Extremely pleased with my decision and I know these Mizunos will be in my bag for a long time.  Glad I went with the Project X shafts.  No complaints at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the Mizuno JPX 800  Irons.  They are just pleasing to the eye.  I saw a comment about a handicap of 14 and scoring in the low 80's.  A club I used to play at a friend of mine shot in the 70's and was a 12.  LOL   I think you know the deal......

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!